SIRUIS XM RADIO RECEPTION

I have the wonderful Io3 radio and bought a XM radio and kit from Walmart...worked awesome for a couple days...then lost activation and only channel 1..  

Had them reset the signal 4 frekin times ....how I fixed it.. wiggled the cigarette lighter socket plug for the XM radio in the fold down console....think it has a weak ground....

Adding a ground wire tomorrow to that socket

Edited by Paintor

Seems like XM has gotten a lot worse over the years.  We had an 2004 Buick that would get flawless reception in the garage with the doors closed. 

I had a couple of company cars 10-15 years ago that I installed portable stand-alone Sirius units with a magnetic antenna on the roof--those were awesome, had built in buffering and song/sports search and scoring updates for sports.  Those would never cut out unless you were in a long tunnel, and if they did cut out, it was just a moment of silence, not that danged hissing static noise. 

My 2009 Silverado's XM reception was never that good, but it never cut out unless going under an underpass, etc., until the last couple of years.  Now it cuts out constantly with a hissing noise.  I've read where the SiriusXM merger did not include the satellite operations--Sirius had the better satellite coverage for North America.  Even though the company is combined, essentially Fords are still Sirius systems and GM's are XM systems.  Sirius' satellites do a figure-8 pattern over North America.  XM's satellites are down on the equator and the further north you go, if there is a tree or anything south of you, it wants to cut out.  They had plans to launch new satellites for combined S/XM operations by now, but are probably too cash strapped to do it.  There are internet rumors that their satellite signals are weakening as their satellites age.  There are also posts on the internet that the increasing T-Mobile cell tower buildout nation-wide is interfering with S/XM reception, and that S/XM filed a grievance with the FCC over it, but apparently T-Mobile's lobbyists were better because the FCC let them go ahead and build more cell towers, even though they recognized the signal interference. 

Too bad, I have listened to S/XM exclusively for at least 15 years now, except for when it cuts out.  Now I am seriously considering cancelling my last remaining subscription. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

On 11/29/2017 at 1:39 PM, RivieraGS said:

I believe the Sirius XM radio reception is a combination of GM and Sirius XM.  My 2014 Sierra did a little bit better than my 2017 Sierra.  I have found that some channels work perfectly while in dead area other channels do not.  Example channel 61 (Y2Kcountry) and channel 69 (Escape) both cut out in the same places any time of the day and in those same dead places channel 66 (Watercolors) plays perfectly.  I know there are a lot of other channels that have the same issue of cutting out but I am curious if they are using multiple satellites to broadcast.  I have read that GM and probably most other manufacturers use lesser expensive receivers because our sets are only capable of receiving a portion of the channels.  I am going to login at https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/technicalissue  and ask why this is happening.  I really don't expect a reasonable reply.

I'm conflicted about this too - the SXM reception on my 2017 Yukon Denali is very spotty.  My 2013 Suburban had perfect reception as does my wife's 2013 Lexus currently.  I drive the same route with the Yukon and have reception blackouts...same route with the Lexus and no blackouts.  That to me points to GM's radio and not a fault with SXM.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, RivieraGS said:

I believe the Sirius XM radio reception is a combination of GM and Sirius XM.  My 2014 Sierra did a little bit better than my 2017 Sierra.  I have found that some channels work perfectly while in dead area other channels do not.  Example channel 61 (Y2Kcountry) and channel 69 (Escape) both cut out in the same places any time of the day and in those same dead places channel 66 (Watercolors) plays perfectly.  I know there are a lot of other channels that have the same issue of cutting out but I am curious if they are using multiple satellites to broadcast.  I have read that GM and probably most other manufacturers use lesser expensive receivers because our sets are only capable of receiving a portion of the channels.  I am going to login at https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/technicalissue  and ask why this is happening.  I really don't expect a reasonable reply.

I've noticed the same.  I had a 2014 and recently got a 2017 back in October.  My 2014 seemed to have better reception.  I do think the 2014 buffered longer than the 2017's, so maybe that was it.  Its gotten so that I can predict which areas will cut out, so I suspect there is something blocking it, whether it's another signal or something I can't see, but there are certain routes I drive where I know "here comes a dead spot".

It's been pretty bad lately for me too. But, my Chevy isn't any worse than my Tundra was, or my wife's Grand Cherokee. XM Turbo seems to be the worst, Lithium doesn't cut out nearly as much.

I let my trial expire, and I still have most of the channels. I primarily use Pandora though.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:31 PM, 15 Z71 said:

One thing I noticed is some channels sound real clear and some sound more muffled or mono sounding. Anyone else notice that?

Yes, it is terrible in our Audi.  Especially talk or sports reporting, NFL or Racing, it is hard to hear and sounds like they are in a tin can.

I complained about it when I had my truck in for service last time. The dealer told me that it was because when Sirius and XM merged, they dropped some of the satellites..... sounded like a crap answer then. The Ram I had before (2016) had fantastic reception....this 2017 Silverado, not so much, drops out all the time.....

I think it's definitely a GM issue. There are a couple of sharp turning highway ramps I use every day to get to work where I lose signal. The ramp is lined with some pretty tall trees, but my 2014 Volvo never has in issue in the same spot. There are few other areas where the truck can be spotty on reception. Again, my Volvo has no problem in these same areas.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in flat, dry west TX.  Picked up a 17 Sierra Denali Ultimate around the first of October. I listen to octane, turbo, boneyard.  I have tried XM every day of my 3 month trial and the cutouts are almost constant, much more than it is actually in signal.  My wife has had a 2010 Camaro SS for 7 years now and rarely ever has a cutout with her factory XM system and listens to the same exact stations.  I have literally followed her while tuned to the same station to duplicate the conditions and her radio never misses a beat while mine struggles to get bits of a signal.  I have sent refresh signals 4 times with no improvement.  My 3 month trial ended today and I dropped the service.  If they improve the antenna I will subscribe again but until then I will stick to bluetooth and fm.

Edited by nightmarechevy

I've read on the internet where XM may be broadcasting different stations on different satellites due to maintenance issues and coverage problems.  That makes sense.  Last week, with my truck sitting in the same spot, I could get some of the 'mainstream' XM channels with no problem, but the Holiday Traditions and a couple of the other ones would cut in and out.  

On 12/29/2017 at 2:59 PM, Wintersun said:

I hate subsidizing all the right wing and religious nut jobs on XM radio. If I could pay for only the stations I actually care to listen to it would be worthwhile.

I hate subsidizing all the left-wing and religious nut jobs on XM radio.  Yet, lucky for me, my radio doesn't find itself tuned in to those stations.  

• Like 1

Really?   My TV has CNN and PBS (publicly funded).   Winter, you’re short sighted by making this comment.

Hell, I have NBC and ABC too, now that I think about it.   

“Nut job.”

We have a 2012 Maxima and my 2014 Silverado. Both have XM in them. She drives the Maxima. This past weekend, we took the Maxima on a short trip. There were some spots where I thought there was no reason for it to drop but it was dropping. I just activated the XM in the Maxima and my Silverado for the first time in several years because of the $60 for 12 months promotions. Someone mentioned the lack of satellites as a possible cause. This sounds plausible to me seeing where it is dropping out sometimes.

I drive 40 miles to and from work. There are only a few places where mine drops and that is the same places it has dropped for 15 years.

• 1 month later...

I too have bad reception throughout the Houston area. I will not renew subscription when it runs out. I’m defiantly believe it is a GM hardware issue (antenna or non buffering receiver), as I have buddies with other vehicles that don’t have this problem.