SIRUIS XM RADIO RECEPTION

Anybody else experiencing in and out reception with Sirius XM? I have several stations that go in and out in the same places all over town (Houston). Antennae is not being blocked and nothing in interfering with the signal. They're like large black out areas and I keep finding more.

I have contacted Chevrolet and Sirius via their Facebook pages. Chevrolet seemed way more concerned about the problem than Sirius but they were also deflecting the problem onto Sirius instead to trying to fix the problem themselves. Sirius only offered to give me a $10 credit towards my next bill. I feel this is a Chevy issue and not Sirius because my 2010 F150 I had before my Silverado had zero issues with reception.

I also notice that Sirius drops a lot more in my Sierra than it does in the dw's Acadia or than it did in the Ram. It's definitely a radio issue and not a satellite service issue. I don't think these systems buffer the signal like others do, so they drop immediately upon losing signal. 

21 minutes ago, Davidj101 said:

I also notice that Sirius drops a lot more in my Sierra than it does in the dw's Acadia or than it did in the Ram. It's definitely a radio issue and not a satellite service issue. I don't think these systems buffer the signal like others do, so they drop immediately upon losing signal. 

I am 99.9% sure you are right on the buffering. From the research I have done, Dodge and Ford alike have their systems buffer where as GM does not, so if we hit a "dead zone" it immediately goes out. This happens to me every time I go under and overpass or in some dead areas around where I live. 

I have been an XM subscriber for more than 10 years and I have never experienced such poor reception as I do now on a 2017 Yukon Denali.  I've had the XM radios on pre-2017 GM vehicles, Porsche, BMW, Lexus and they all worked flawlessly.  Not sure how we get this fixed.  I'm ready to tell XM that reception is so bad that I'm going to cancel my subscription - maybe Sirius/XM will put pressure on GM to fix (doubt it though).  Also, the problem is at GM's end not at XM's - I get signal drop-out on my Yukon in certain areas and then drive the same route, same day and approximate time in my wife's Lexus and no signal disruption.

Edited by jhbrennan

In the last few days I've noticed more trouble with Sirius than before with my 2009 GMC.  Just to gripe, since May, I had Yacht Rock saved as a preset.  Well yesterday I went and moved my presets around and lost that station.  A call to Sirius and they tell me that that station is not for automobiles, that getting it was a "glitch".  I ain't gonna die just thought I'd share in case anyone's wondering.

I experience the same issue on my daily commute, but I attribute it to an antenna / tower on the interstate. My XM goes out daily within a certain distance from approaching, and after I pass it. Keep in mind this is on the interstate with no obstacles blocking the antenna. FCC rules,  these radios are supposed to allow interruption by certain frequencies.  Trying to remember if I had the same issue in my WRX considering I've only had this truck since July 

Edited by gtbigup01

• 3 weeks later...

Mine goes out in the same spots every day, and some new ones every year.  Basically, any season the trees have leaf-on conditions, the signal is getting denied by these thin vascular plants.  I can drive down the interstate beside a mountain and it will go out, or sometimes start faintly playing another station simultaneously in the background combined with some static.  Driving down a country road, signal will fail longer than it works for the most part, unless there is not any canopy covering the road.  I also had it go out once and never come back on until the truck was turned off and on. 

I don't blame any of it on GM though.

I have not had the best reception with sirius or xm radios throughout our state for years, not just GM vehicles and both aftermarket and oem radios alike.  I think I got the best signal when you had to buy an actual sirius or xm radio to add in your car, before the service came built into them.  Those worked in the house and in the car just as well.  I've just grown to accept that the satellite signal is sh** in the West Virginia hills.    

• 3 weeks later...

Do any of you have the red light on the rearview mirror?  That is an indication your antenna is bad.  Result of water leaking in at the shark fin on the roof.  My reception was perfect until the antenna went bad.

I believe the Sirius XM radio reception is a combination of GM and Sirius XM.  My 2014 Sierra did a little bit better than my 2017 Sierra.  I have found that some channels work perfectly while in dead area other channels do not.  Example channel 61 (Y2Kcountry) and channel 69 (Escape) both cut out in the same places any time of the day and in those same dead places channel 66 (Watercolors) plays perfectly.  I know there are a lot of other channels that have the same issue of cutting out but I am curious if they are using multiple satellites to broadcast.  I have read that GM and probably most other manufacturers use lesser expensive receivers because our sets are only capable of receiving a portion of the channels.  I am going to login at https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/technicalissue  and ask why this is happening.  I really don't expect a reasonable reply.

• Like 2