OnStar proactive alert, starter motor

I got an email from OnStar about a possible problem with my starter motor or it's connection, for my 2017 5.3L Silverado.

Just curious if anyone has had this alert before, and if you took it to the dealer what was the cause and fix for this.

Thanks.

8da0e4ebcae94f30afe89136d45a144f.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Proactive Alert Starting & Charging Service Message Identifier SAC004

Notice: The Service Technician MUST complete every Step of this diagnostic.

Notice: For Corvette testing, Go to Step 4.

1. Verify the battery cable connections are clean and tight. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test in SI.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition. Measure the battery voltage at the battery terminals. The voltage should be between 12.0–15.0 V
    • If not within the specified range, refer to Battery Charging in SI.
    • If within the specified range, Go to Step 3, for Corvette Go to Step 4.
  3. Test for less than the specified value between the positive battery cable at the battery and the positive battery cable at the M64 starter motor as the ignition is placed in the CRANK/START position. Refer to Measuring Voltage Drop in SI.
    • If greater than the specified value, replace the positive battery cable. Refer to Battery Positive Cable Replacement in SI.
    • If less than the specified value, Go to Step 6.
  4. Test for less than 0.5 V between terminal A X6 at the X50D Fuse Block – Battery and terminal A X6 at the X50A Fuse Block – Underhood as the ignition is placed in the CRANK/START position.
    • If greater than the specified value, replace the positive battery cable. Refer to Battery Positive Cable Replacement in SI.
    • If less than the specified value, Go to Step 5.
  5. Test for less than 0.5 V between terminal A X6 at the X50A Fuse Block – Underhood and terminal A X2 at the M64 Starter Motor as the ignition is placed in the CRANK/START position.
    • If greater than the specified value, replace the starter solenoid cable. Refer to Starter Solenoid Cable Replacement in SI.
    • If less than the specified value, Go to Step 6.
  6. Test for less than 0.5 V between the negative battery cable and the M64 starter motor case as the ignition switch is placed to the CRANK/START position. Refer to Measuring Voltage Drop in SI.
    • If greater than the specified value, replace the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Replacement in SI.
    • If less than specified value replace the Starter. Refer to Starter Replacement in SI.
  7. No other action is required as the Service Message will automatically clear once the starting system is serviced properly and the vehicle is operated over a number of ignition cycles. Other on board DTCs may have set if the vehicle experienced a low voltage condition.

Use the scan tool to clear ALL DTCs prior to releasing the vehicle to the Customer.

8. Submit the correct Bulletin Only Labor Operation for this repair: 4080598*.

Edited by newdude

I've got 2 of these emails now.

From that diagnostic above it looks like they would only replace a battery cable at most.

Do you guys think if I just disconnect the battery for an hour or so that might help reset things, and maybe then the OnStar emails might stop?

a 2015... aren't you still under warranty? If so, its up to your dealer to diagnose and fix. Unless its more inconvenient for you to drive to a dealer than work on it yourself, I'd make them figure it out. At least then if it fails later, you have a service record for it. If you temporarily fix it yourself and then the starter goes out next year, then what?

54 minutes ago, aseibel said:

a 2015... aren't you still under warranty? If so, its up to your dealer to diagnose and fix. Unless its more inconvenient for you to drive to a dealer than work on it yourself, I'd make them figure it out. At least then if it fails later, you have a service record for it. If you temporarily fix it yourself and then the starter goes out next year, then what?

OP has a 2017. 

1 hour ago, 15_silverado said:

I got an email from OnStar about a possible problem with my starter motor or it's connection, for my 2017 5.3L Silverado.

I think the 20+ computers on these rigs just have a brain fart at times.  Just like your home PC needs a reboot on occasion.  My 2017 has had a few quirks - chime going of every 30 seconds for no reason.  Pulled over, turned it off and restarted.  Never repeated since.  Turn signal blinking but no noise.  Same fix - pulled over - rebooted - never repeated since.  On a 1,200 mile trip a couple weeks ago the temperature display stuck at 32 degrees thru multiple starts over a couple days while daytime temp was aver 60 degrees - finally reset....

:sigh:

Edited by Krusty

20 hours ago, Krusty said:

I think the 20+ computers on these rigs just have a brain fart at times.  Just like your home PC needs a reboot on occasion.  My 2017 has had a few quirks - chime going of every 30 seconds for no reason.  Pulled over, turned it off and restarted.  Never repeated since.  Turn signal blinking but no noise.  Same fix - pulled over - rebooted - never repeated since.  On a 1,200 mile trip a couple weeks ago the temperature display stuck at 32 degrees thru multiple starts over a couple days while daytime temp was aver 60 degrees - finally reset....

:sigh:

The outside temperature display sticking is a common problem thru 3 generations of GM trucks now.  It is programmed to always instantly show a lower temp but not to show a raised temp unless a number of parameters are met, as the engineers don't want the display to show a raised temp just because of underhood engine heat. 

Press the recirc and A/C buttons at the same time, and the temp display will instantly update, and as a result, your auto HVAC system will work much better. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

• 1 year later...

I received this , I changed battery and problem was solved. 

Your 2017 Chevrolet Suburban detects a battery, starter or connection issue. The battery is needed to start the vehicle. To avoid a situation where you can't start your vehicle, please schedule service with your preferred service provider as soon as possible, so they can determine if your Battery or Starter needs replacing. You can still drive your Chevrolet but it may become harder to start. And if the battery does fail, you will not be able to start the vehicle. Please disregard this message if your vehicle is already in for service (as this could be a false notification if the vehicle is in for service and the service being performed affects this component).

Service Code SAC005

If you would like additional information please contact Member Assistance at 1.866.237.3601.

• 2 years later...

Old thread but figure worth a shot.  I have a 2018 Silverado and have gotten the e-mail for SAC004 twice.  Seems to start fine.  When it says check power at the starter terminal are they saying disconnect it and see what happens?

Edit:  oh yeah...  The one with the lug. Not trying that in crank while under the rruck... 

Edited by Brian Maxwell
Details