failed lifters 2015 6.2 - JUNK motor

21 hours ago, Brianibew said:

Can’t argue with you on that, lol....runs like a champ tho.

One thing I'll say after driving the Tundra......when you consider cost, gas mileage, power, & the fact it is so dated & not a fully boxed frame designI feel like a prospective Tundra buyer would be better off w/ a 6.0 equipped GM 2500......will get better gas mileage, way more capable, no AFM crap, & the motor/tranny combo is proven.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

One thing I'll say after driving the Tundra......when you consider cost, gas mileage, power, & the fact it is so dated & not a fully boxed frame designI feel like a prospective Tundra buyer would be better off w/ a 6.0 equipped GM 2500......will get better gas mileage, way more capable, no AFM crap, & the motor/tranny combo is proven.

AFM is like a really bad hang-over...they both suck and they both disappear over time (as in past warranty and it's gone)

1 hour ago, crushNchowda said:

I’ve had both 1/2 and 3/4 ton Chevys and I will say I prefer the C channel frame of the Tundra in terms of ride quality. It absorbs poor road conditions much better in my opinion.  I agree about the outdated tech also, but on the other hand, it’s tried and true proven tech that has been incrementally improved upon over and over instead of changing the entire design every 3 years like most other manufacturers are doing and sacrificing long term reliability in the process.

• 5 months later...
On 1/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, crushNchowda said:

Well....I'm pretty much done for the time being w/ GM...at least when it comes to their gas engines and/or anything w/ AFM, & pretty much done w/ their 1/2 tons in general or any SUV related to them.

I have been a die hard GM guy, I've defended them even when I shouldn't & they keep letting me down. This is my 3rd 2014+ GM truck - all had issues. I attached pics of the RO - a near $60k vehicle w/ 46k miles on the clock & the engine nearly blows? If I didn't take it in & took it up to VT like I had planned to do it would have left me stranded AGAIN (first time was a failed starter coming back from a vacation 100s of miles from my home - oh, and that was w/ less than 40k on the clock!!), this is after I've already had it in for a leaking 3rd brake light that stained the headliner....and yeah, it shakes too, just not as bad as the previous 2.

A whole bank of lifters gone bad? Why wouldn't they replace the other side??!! Not like they're not going to fail either. The tech even notes "had difficulty removing fuel rail cover due to corrosion" - & replaced 2 injectors too!!!! WTF!?!??! I have 2 years & 3 months left on the note, planned on keeping it another couple years payment free - how on earth could I bank on that w/ this stuff happening @ 46k?? 

I mean its astonishing really - these things are piles of junk....I mean I KNOW there are issues w/ the torque converter, yoke & pinion, & the tranny as well - just not as bad as some other examples out there, I'm just lucky as hell I have a '15 w/ the 100k powertrain warranty vs. '16+....Genius move on GM's part though reducing it to 36k, basically they're selling everyone trucks w/ a 50-50 chance they'll get 'em on the hook for new crate motors & trannies @ the 50k mark :D

I joke...but really its just sad...and I don't wanna hear from all the diehard fan boys "it's just 1 example, all you hear on forums is complaints, every make has issues" blah blah - cuz guess what? I WAS IN THAT GROUP OF DEFENDERS!!!! I have a flawless trouble free '03 Z06 in my garage which I love. I've owned a G8 GT, Grand prix, &  between me & my father 8 GM trucks....4 of which have been the '14+ model & they have ALL been crap.

So unless you have owned 2x2014's & 2x2015's don't even bother commenting on this defending GM & saying its an isolated incident,.

Cheers.

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

Just happened to me 4 weeks ago on vacation. Still in Tennessee getting new lifters and cam and whatever else.

30 years of Gm. No more when I get it back. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Trnr1995 said:

Just happened to me 4 weeks ago on vacation. Still in Tennessee getting new lifters and cam and whatever else.

30 years of Gm. No more when I get it back. 

Well my 2015 actually ALSO left me & the fam stranded on a vacation, but not due to the AFM hardware - instead had a failed/corroded starter @ like 35-40k miles. 

12xxx miles ownership into a 2018 Ford Raptor & VERY happy w/ the change.

Good luck w/ your GM - if its on their dime take the repair & drive it for a while then trade out...Rams are nice too, I'm starting to like the look of some of the newest GM trucks as well, but won't be buying anything from them again until it seems like their quality/reliability/service improves.

3 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

Well my 2015 actually ALSO left me & the fam stranded on a vacation, but not due to the AFM hardware - instead had a failed/corroded starter @ like 35-40k miles. 

12xxx miles ownership into a 2018 Ford Raptor & VERY happy w/ the change.

Good luck w/ your GM - if its on their dime take the repair & drive it for a while then trade out...Rams are nice too, I'm starting to like the look of some of the newest GM trucks as well, but won't be buying anything from them again until it seems like their quality/reliability/service improves.

Yes it does look like I'll try out a Ford. Love the Raptors. Found a 2017 Roush with EcoBoost. We'll see when I get it back. Waiting on parts. ?

12 minutes ago, Trnr1995 said:

Yes it does look like I'll try out a Ford. Love the Raptors. Found a 2017 Roush with EcoBoost. We'll see when I get it back. Waiting on parts. ?

Sad thing is, they haven't done ANYTHING to help me out. All out of pocket expenses that I need to submit to GM Allstate when I'm all finished and back home. 2 rental cars. Hotel. Gas. Tow bill. Very sad.

Funny too that the new truck powertrain warranty is only to 60,000 miles. 

If you buy a 5k mile used truck you'll get a 100k mile powertrain.  I bought my '16 with '72k, and got an additional 100k warranty as part of the package.  I'm also completely sure I'll never have a drivetrain issue.  AFM issues are overrated.

• Like 3

Each and e dry manufacturer has their own SERIOUS problems and yet still selling their vehicles. I traded in my 16 Yukon XL with 40k miles just because multiple times, my wife stated she noticed transmission slipping and we all know the issues GM has been having and after a day of some research and found enormous class action law suits against GM for transformation issues I drove straight into my local BMW dealer and told my wife, pick out anything you want, 2019 X5 and absolutely loving it. At least I know BMW isn’t knowingly manufacturing and selling vehicles they know has issues. I’ve still got my 18 SLT 6.2 Z71 and still loving it, even with over $10k in upgrades, I’ll definitely trade it in for a loaded out Raptor at the first sign of major issues that can’t be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Each and e dry manufacturer has their own SERIOUS problems and yet still selling their vehicles.... At least I know BMW isn’t knowingly manufacturing and selling vehicles they know has issues.

The first line of this post is very accurate.  Do some quick googling on "N20 timing chain failures."  That engine would straight up eat its chain, yet took a while for a problem to be acknowledged.  I'm not dogging the Roundel, as I've had one in my driveway for 8 years and don't see any reason to change that, but I wouldn't touch a vehicle with that boat anchor of an engine.  All traded companies have fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, and must maximize profits; they have little choice in the matter.

Spend much time on any vehicle/tractor/widget forum, and you'll quickly develop a case of vehicle/tractor/widget hypochondria, myself included.  Now I don't worry about it; I drive it, maintain it, and live with minor issues.

• Like 1

The first line of this post is very accurate.  Do some quick googling on "N20 timing chain failures."  That engine would straight up eat its chain, yet took a while for a problem to be acknowledged.  I'm not dogging the Roundel, as I've had one in my driveway for 8 years and don't see any reason to change that, but I wouldn't touch a vehicle with that boat anchor of an engine.  All traded companies have fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, and must maximize profits; they have little choice in the matter.

Spend much time on any vehicle/tractor/widget forum, and you'll quickly develop a case of vehicle/tractor/widget hypochondria, myself included.  Now I don't worry about it; I drive it, maintain it, and live with minor issues.

Newer design, 100k extended zero deductible and any issue I have will be fixed without “cannot duplicate problem” lol. Plus, I get to drive other BMW’s as loaners if and when the time comes for long servicing.