failed lifters 2015 6.2 - JUNK motor

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

Newer design, 100k extended zero deductible and any issue I have will be fixed without “cannot duplicate problem” lol. Plus, I get to drive other BMW’s as loaners if and when the time comes for long servicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry forgot to clarify... the N20 issues don't pertain to your vehicle; the N55 (if you got the 6, which is better than the 8 ) is a pretty bullet proof design.  But like anything else but even more-so with the Roundel, following factory service schedule will result in a world of hurt if kept longer than 100k miles (I'm over half-way in my 300k mile minimum goal on my E83).  Back when mine was under warranty, BMW service was exceptional; they bent over backwards to ensure a happy customer, unlike the Chevy and Ram dealerships who didn't even try to hide bending you over.  I've gotten many free parts/services from the BMW dealer, even long after my warranty expired in 2014.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 2:48 PM, newdude said:

In all seriousness, I think, and GM has mentioned in the past, that its an oil aeration issue somewhere in that system.  Its either in the VLOM or the lifters themselves.  0w20 I don't think is helping that issue, and I say that because the 4.3 V6 and the LT1/LT4 applications still call for 5w30.  I do recall someone here explaining that 5w20 has better sheer stability(?)

newdude,
Do you know if there is a viable oil solution that helps reduce aeration yet?
I had oil aeration issue on a motorcycle once, and the solution was to switch to a 20W60 synthetic oil.  

Or should I get in touch with someone at lucas, royal purple, redline, etc.?

To everyone else,

I'm about to buy a '16 Silverado LTZ with a 6.2L L86 engine roughly 88,000 miles, but I'm also going to buy the longest extended warranty possible because of all the aforementioned possible trans and engine and A/C issues.

So far it sounds like I should be getting upgraded material pushrods, and possibly using a different weight/chemistry engine oil.
How do these OEM lifters for the L86 that died compare to something like a LS7 lifter?

Curious how much the AFM & DOD affect fuel economy actually, as in how much would fuel econ be hurt if you eliminated those things and reprogrammed normal shift points for 8spd.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, DeathByNissan55 said:

newdude,
Do you know if there is a viable oil solution that helps reduce aeration yet?
I had oil aeration issue on a motorcycle once, and the solution was to switch to a 20W60 synthetic oil.  

To everyone else,

I'm about to buy a '16 Silverado LTZ with a 6.2L L86 engine roughly 88,000 miles, but I'm also going to buy the longest extended warranty possible because of all the aforementioned possible trans and engine and A/C issues.

So far it sounds like I should be getting upgraded material pushrods, and possibly using a different weight/chemistry engine oil.
How do these OEM lifters for the L86 that died compare to something like a LS7 lifter?

Curious how much the AFM & DOD affect fuel economy actually, as in how much would fuel econ be hurt if you eliminated those things and reprogrammed normal shift points for 8spd.

The only question I can help with is around fuel economy before and after AFM delete. My driving habits and conditions were identical before and after the AFM delete, so that is not a factor. I drive a 2016 Sierra CC, short bed with 6.2L 8 speed. Set up prior to AFM delete was a leveling kit, stock engine and CAI, Borla exhaust. Set up after the AFM delete was heavier AT tires (went from 4 ply to 10 ply), aftermarket CAI (aFe), Borla exhaust stayed in, and custom tune from DiabLew (Diablo Sports i3 tuner). Prior to the changes, I was at 17.5  lifetime mpg (could be better but I have a lead foot). In the 22k miles since the tune and bigger tire install I have dropped down to to 17.4 lifetime mpg. The loss is so minimal for me going to all-time V8 that it's a no brainer to get rid of AFM and not risk the issues (had an AFM lifter fail on me while AFM was enabled - dealer covered cost). You could even argue there would be no fuel economy loss, or possibly a gain, if I stayed with 4 ply tires. To me, it's not worth keeping AFM enabled.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

newdude, Do you know if there is a viable oil solution that helps reduce aeration yet? I had oil aeration issue on a motorcycle once, and the solution was to switch to a 20W60 synthetic oil.  

To everyone else,

When I had mine I ended up doing a diablo tuner on it to get rid of the afm and reprogram the transmission for crisper shifting. I hated the way it drove with the afm enabled, mine always had a distinct hesitation when it switched from 4 to 8. I had around 30k on it when I installed the tune and I noticed no discernible difference in fuel economy for the remainder of the time I owned the truck. It always got like 14 city 19 freeway.

Funny reading all these threads AFTER I traded in my ‘12 Ram 5.7 for... you guessed it! Failed lifter (many claiming it’s due to the AFM-equivalent for Ram).

Tons of rams on the road, even more Silverado’s. I know the pain of having to deal with it, but some of us are just unlucky.

Here’s hoping I have a better run with this ‘14 1500. Lost the ram at 83k, currently at 55k with the Silverado.

I feel for people that suffer the collapsed lifter on both the Ram and Silverado/Sierra, it could happen to me some day, but for all of us with failures...I hate to break this to you/us, it's not all that common. They have sold nearly 3,000 million of these things since 2014. There literally is millions of these engines and these systems driving up and down the highway in GM vehicles every single day...most not having any issues...most not even knowing other people have had issues. I work in the trade, we see these trucks quite frequently...I have only seen one with a failed lifter and it was a 2010 older DOD engine. That truck now has over 200,000 miles on it and is driven to absolute death on a daily basis. I have seen oil consumption in the 2014-2018's, in fact I see it in every single one that comes in - some a little, some a lot - but I see it in every single one we service. Just this week five of them came in for oil changes, all five were at least a quart low (6,000 mile intervals) and one had nothing on that dipstick. 

What i tend to see in these trucks is the following...

Leaking Condensers

Leaking radiators 

Actuator stuck in 4wd

Oil consumption

Starter motor failure

I can't stress it enough...the AC condenser failure is so frequent that I'm a bit shocked. It's become kind of a running joke...truck comes in for service...we joke...order a condenser. (And I own a 2018, so the joke is usually pointed at me).

But if the AFM does fail?? We aren't talking the end of the world here. I cracked my tooth eating lunch six months ago...I guarantee that tooth cost me more than what people can fix these thing for at an independent service station. Break a tooth and get yourself a crown...walk out that door an hour later and you're $1,800 lighter in your pocket. 

And if that doesn't convince you that AFM failure will not be the end of your world or your truck's life, check this out. Two and a half years ago I bought a mountain bike, I spent $2,300 on this bike (on Black Friday clearance). Since I've owned this bike I have spent $2,800 in repairs and maintenance. Two months in the rear hub broke - they covered it under warranty - then it broke again...they wouldn't cover it. I was told it would just keep breaking because it was a low quality hub...a $2,300 dollar bike with Walmart quality hubs. So I had to buy a new hub...it was $150, but to install it would cost me another $200 because it needed to be laced into the rim. So I went out and spent $450 on a new rim and hub instead. Then I needed a new cassette (another $120). Then the front fork blew out - that was $750 installed. Then the rear derailleur grenades - that was $120. I needed a couple new tires - that was $220. Then the suspension pivots eventually wore out - that was $150. Then the bottom bracket wore out - that was $50 (good price actually). Three tuneups in 3 years was $300. Brake pads, wheel trues and pedals, another $300. I've had to replace the grips several times...another $50. Oh and my chain has been replaced three times and my front sprocket...add another $200. I bought snow tires ($240). Oh, and I needed a surprise tuneup because the cable stretched...cable and tuneup $130. I know there's more, I just can't even remember all of it.

And this is for a bike^^^^. 

If i have to spend $1,000 in parts for a total AFM rebuild kit, I'm good. I can install it myself...I can't however work on my bike (which really sucks). And believe me I've tried - I don't have the tools and I don't have the patience. It's an art. But don't get me wrong, I don't want my AFM to break - when it does I'll probably come on here and complain about it - but then hopefully I'll settle down and fix it. I average almost 26 mpg in a full sized 4x4 truck. We can't get that mileage out of my wife's Honda CRV.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Thank you.

Get tired of the whining when as you say millions of these trucks without issues.

:)

We don't know that. GM doesn't release their repair statistics. It is absolutely fallacious to declare that these trucks are running "without issues", when there is no way of knowing if that is or isn't true.

All we know is that those millions of truck owners aren't running to the forums if/when they encounter problems. We do not know whether or not they actually are having problems.

You would be surprised how many people have no clue their vehicle has cylinder deactivation or a external vacuum pump. My brother law has restored vehicles and had no idea his recent SUV has all that. He generally runs his GM trucks and SUVs well north of 200K miles. This weekend I pointed it out and informed him to go full synthetic and no more than 5K oil changes. He is diehard GM. He’s in the process of restoring his first car 69 firebird. His reply was like most I talked to. If I was worried about mileage I would have bought something else. He’s not on mileage but he hasn’t noticed a profound change in mileage between his SUVs.

7 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

We don't know that. GM doesn't release their repair statistics. It is absolutely fallacious to declare that these trucks are running "without issues", when there is no way of knowing if that is or isn't true.

All we know is that those millions of truck owners aren't running to the forums if/when they encounter problems. We do not know whether or not they actually are having problems.

Agree

But I think more are trouble free than we know.

:)

On 1/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, crushNchowda said:

Well....I'm pretty much done for the time being w/ GM...at least when it comes to their gas engines and/or anything w/ AFM, & pretty much done w/ their 1/2 tons in general or any SUV related to them.

Cheers.

I read your experience right after commenting in another thread on extended warranty insurance. Crazy right? Anyway...If GM is unwilling to pay the bills for something like this then I agree with you. Cross them off the list. But not just by category but rather categorically. Why give them a second bite at a rotten apple? 

That said if a fella buys a vehicle that is supplied with only a 36K warranty then he's got nothing to complain about. Fact is they were up front about their unwillingness to not warrant past this point which would tell me they know for a fact the risk is to great to chance. Or in other words they  are aware they build an inferior product. Why would I spend such obscene amounts of money as is being asked for current trucks if they themselves are convinced it's junk?

This is where a guppy screams BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY INSURANCE. Seriously? GM wouldn't take the chance but I should? I didn't make it.  

Lastly, IF they are willing to repair and pay the bill, you haven't a complaint either.  It's an opinion and it's mine. 

7 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

By that same reasoning it is equally fallacious to state that they are categorically junk. You can't have one without the other anymore than you can have a coin with but one side. 

The OP's experience is HIS experience with these vehicles. Mine differs from his and in every way. My 15 has been pretty much the picture of reliability. The truck itself is just a truck. The company and the garage attending to it are the real issue. Make good and I stay with you. Don't stand by it and we are done. Pretty simple. 

Kind of drifting off point but again a warranty, IMHO is a marketing tool. You first need to realize that the "Big 3" know very well the ratio between warranty repair costs and units produced weighed against the average first owner duration. If they felt that the additional cost to repair was offset by new sales, they would offer a longer warranty period. GM did just that several years ago and sales still remained flat. Why take on the additional costs if you are not getting any return. If one Is going to relate build quality to warranty length, then it is a very logical assumption that both Ford and Ram make the same POS truck too. Their warranties are all equal or at least they were in 2018 when I purchased.

Just sayin.

Edited by Capt Bob