Skimped on interior

Anyone else feel GM got lazy on the interior? Seems to be a VERY minor tweak to the interior compared to current trucks? Almost looks the same. 

You look at the 2019 Ram that just got released the interior is actually so much nicer! And they also have a full glass roof available (if youre into that which I am). Seems GM rushed this released. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't go further with it. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the interior looks cheap.  Especially the High Country with the different colors on different sections.  It looks like designers just threw a bunch of different parts together without any overall design theme.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but I personally hate it.  If I am going to spend $40-$60K on a truck I expect the interior to look a little more "together" than that design.

2 hours ago, sk said:

Yes the interior looks cheap.  Especially the High Country with the different colors on different sections.  It looks like designers just threw a bunch of different parts together without any overall design theme.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but I personally hate it.  If I am going to spend $40-$60K on a truck I expect the interior to look a little more "together" than that design.

No man I'm with you. I have a 2017 LTZ with the 6.2L so im not a GM basher but I know what's nice and what's not. GM did NOT do a good job with the interior of the new model. Lazy and cheap compared to Ford and Ram. The gaps in the dash panels are horrid especially for the high country. I can see GM doing a quick refresh on the 2019 to stay competitive. Adding push button start and making it look the same as my 2017 isn't innovative. 

No man I'm with you. I have a 2017 LTZ with the 6.2L so im not a GM basher but I know what's nice and what's not. GM did NOT do a good job with the interior of the new model. Lazy and cheap compared to Ford and GM. The gaps in the dash panels are horrid especially for the high country. I can see GM doing a quick refresh on the 2019 to stay competitive. Adding push button start and making it look the same as my 2017 isn't innovative. 

I don’t know man. I sat in a 2018 Ford a couple of weeks ago. The stitching in the front seats and console cover was actually crooked. I couldn’t believe it. The interior looked like crap compared to my 2017 GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

I don’t know man. I sat in a 2018 Ford a couple of weeks ago. The stitching in the front seats and console cover was actually crooked. I couldn’t believe it. The interior looked like crap compared to my 2017 GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the interior of my 2017. I'm just saying the new one looks the same in comparison and for a new truck they could have done better. 

The center console took a step backwards... In my 14' its reconfigurable, you can move the cup holders to your own desired place , also tons of storage underneath, The wireless charging pad now wastes a ton of space. GM did say a console shifter waists a lot of space, so why didnt they offer it? Also the console seems narrower and a lot lower compared to the current.

Also the duel glove box went backwards, why does the top one curve inwards?  seems pretty odd to me. What they should of done is put something there like the 07-13 LTZ/SLT a wood grain or carbon fiber finish. This to me seemed more premium!

I don't know maybe I'm just really old school.  I like my trucks to be simple and rugged, not stuffed with the latest tech.  One of the things I love most about my 2014 is I can operate most of the controls for the HVAC and Radio completely blind.  I hardly use the touch screen feature because I hate having to focus on it while I'm driving.  The new Ram looks cool, but doing everything on the touch screen seems like a huge pain in the ass and adds tremendous cost to the vehicle.  At the end of the day, I want a solid engine, 4wd, basic tech to connect my phone so I can do hands free calling and stream some content from the phone (so Apple Car Play), rearview camera, rear AC vents, an auto dimming rearview mirror, and heated side mirrors.  I don't even want leather seats.  I'm concerned that the way these manufacturers like to package features that to just get some of these basic functions I have to pay up for an expensive trim level with a lot of extra features that, while certainly nice, I don't need or necessarily want.  The only reason I paid up for the Z71 in 2014 is so I could get a black grille without all the chrome.  The next go round I'll probably drop down to the regular LT unless the Trail Boss isn't ridiculously priced.

13 minutes ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

I don't know maybe I'm just really old school.  I like my trucks to be simple and rugged, not stuffed with the latest tech.  One of the things I love most about my 2014 is I can operate most of the controls for the HVAC and Radio completely blind.  I hardly use the touch screen feature because I hate having to focus on it while I'm driving.  The new Ram looks cool, but doing everything on the touch screen seems like a huge pain in the ass and adds tremendous cost to the vehicle.  At the end of the day, I want a solid engine, 4wd, basic tech to connect my phone so I can do hands free calling and stream some content from the phone (so Apple Car Play), rearview camera, rear AC vents, an auto dimming rearview mirror, and heated side mirrors.  I don't even want leather seats.  I'm concerned that the way these manufacturers like to package features that to just get some of these basic functions I have to pay up for an expensive trim level with a lot of extra features that, while certainly nice, I don't need or necessarily want.  The only reason I paid up for the Z71 in 2014 is so I could get a black grille without all the chrome.  The next go round I'll probably drop down to the regular LT unless the Trail Boss isn't ridiculously priced.

Cheers to that^^. The Powertrain is why I stick with GM. The LS series are so bullet proof its ridiculous. The same LS motor is in my 01 Silverado as my 86 944 turbo race car. I chose to upgrade my 14 Sierra with Katzkins leather bc I carry dogs alot, but I would be even happier with something like Mercedes' MBTex synthetic which is cheaper and tougher

10 minutes ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

X2 on that...

I do agree that the interior isn't as upgraded as I thought it would be with an all new design... I don't hate it, but I think the Ram interior is more functional..( I  dislike the TV screen they use though).. I LOVE the fact that the Ram rear seats recline, and the console seems pretty useful 

I am glad the interior appears to maintain some of the positive design traits of the current generation.  The new interiors look very good, imo.  Squeezing a larger monitor into the dashboard isn't innovative or a functional improvement.  It may add a sense of comfort to those who have a lot of screen time but I prefer buttons and knobs that allow drivers to keep eyes on the road.   I believe that It adds to the value of current models when a manufacturer maintains some popular design features into future models.  The storage compartment built into the seats is an interesting added feature.  

I’m honestly a little let down on the overall “cleanliness” and layout in general. It seems a bit rushed and could’ve been set up to be more aesthetically pleasing. The K2 interiors blew me away after being in multiple GMT-800 & 900’s. That’s not the case with this interior after spending 4 years in a K2. Hopefully the all black interior on a higher trim truck will look a bit better, but we’ll see. Even more hopeful but also more doubtful, would be the Sierra getting a slightly different interior with pano sunroof, bigger screen (yes I actually like that, although separate hvac etc is also nice) and maybe a slightly different center console design. I agree it looks like it has a tiny amount of usable space. I toss all kinds of stuff in my center console and the cupholder area. This new center console area looks like It can hold a phone and some dollar bills, that’s it. 

Archived