GM Vehicles Including 2018 Colorado and Canyon Recalled For Risk Of Fire

Gorehamj

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6-19-2018

GM is recalling a list of vehicles because a fuel line can detach from the fuel pump and thus present the chance for a fire. The full text of the NHTSA report is listed below. If you want to look up your own vehicle to see if yours is on that recall list you can do so here.  Or you can hope that the snail mail system works and brings you a notice. If this recall sounds familiar don't be surprised. GM has had a long history of recalling vehicles for fuel pump and fuel line failures.

NHTSA Recall gm fuel pump image.png

Ford just recalled some 2018 F-150's for the same thing:

Vehicles Affected: Model-year 2018 Ford F-150 pickup trucks are among approximately 5,600 Ford and Lincoln vehicles being recalled for a fuel pump issue. Affected vehicles are model-year 2018 F-150 pickup trucks built at the Dearborn Truck Plant in Michigan between March 14 and April 24, 2018, as well as at the Kansas City Assembly Plant in Missouri between March 20 and April 17, 2018; Ford Expedition SUVs built at the Kentucky Truck Plant between March 14 and April 12, 2018; and model-year 2018 Lincoln Navigator SUVs built at the Kentucky Truck Plant between Feb. 20 and May 6, 2018; all vehicles are equipped with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 engine.

The Problem: The high-pressure fuel pump assembly may have inadequate welds between the pump housing and its mounting flange, causing the welds to the vehicles to be susceptible to high-cycle fatigue fractures that could cause the fuel pump to move relative to its mounting flange, resulting in eventual loss of the sealing integrity of the cam cover or the fuel lines and an oil or fuel leak, increasing the risk of fire.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like what happened to my 2016 Silverado 1500 when it was 2 months old. They screwed me over royally. Not suprised theyre still pushing the same poor quality parts, they wouldnt take any accountability for my 1200 mile truck busting into flames, why would they start now....

On 6/22/2018 at 8:47 PM, Gmtech21 said:

Sounds like what happened to my 2016 Silverado 1500 when it was 2 months old. They screwed me over royally. Not suprised theyre still pushing the same poor quality parts, they wouldnt take any accountability for my 1200 mile truck busting into flames, why would they start now....

So you're a tech. Have any pictures of the fire or failed fuel pump? Let's see what the failed welds on that "poor quality part".