Gorehamj

GM Vehicles Including 2018 Colorado and Canyon Recalled For Risk Of Fire

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6-19-2018

GM is recalling a list of vehicles because a fuel line can detach from the fuel pump and thus present the chance for a fire. The full text of the NHTSA report is listed below. If you want to look up your own vehicle to see if yours is on that recall list you can do so here.  Or you can hope that the snail mail system works and brings you a notice. If this recall sounds familiar don't be surprised. GM has had a long history of recalling vehicles for fuel pump and fuel line failures.

NHTSA Recall gm fuel pump image.png

Ford just recalled some 2018 F-150's for the same thing:

Vehicles Affected: Model-year 2018 Ford F-150 pickup trucks are among approximately 5,600 Ford and Lincoln vehicles being recalled for a fuel pump issue. Affected vehicles are model-year 2018 F-150 pickup trucks built at the Dearborn Truck Plant in Michigan between March 14 and April 24, 2018, as well as at the Kansas City Assembly Plant in Missouri between March 20 and April 17, 2018; Ford Expedition SUVs built at the Kentucky Truck Plant between March 14 and April 12, 2018; and model-year 2018 Lincoln Navigator SUVs built at the Kentucky Truck Plant between Feb. 20 and May 6, 2018; all vehicles are equipped with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 engine.

The Problem: The high-pressure fuel pump assembly may have inadequate welds between the pump housing and its mounting flange, causing the welds to the vehicles to be susceptible to high-cycle fatigue fractures that could cause the fuel pump to move relative to its mounting flange, resulting in eventual loss of the sealing integrity of the cam cover or the fuel lines and an oil or fuel leak, increasing the risk of fire.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like what happened to my 2016 Silverado 1500 when it was 2 months old. They screwed me over royally. Not suprised theyre still pushing the same poor quality parts, they wouldnt take any accountability for my 1200 mile truck busting into flames, why would they start now....

On 6/22/2018 at 8:47 PM, Gmtech21 said:

Sounds like what happened to my 2016 Silverado 1500 when it was 2 months old. They screwed me over royally. Not suprised theyre still pushing the same poor quality parts, they wouldnt take any accountability for my 1200 mile truck busting into flames, why would they start now....

So you're a tech. Have any pictures of the fire or failed fuel pump? Let's see what the failed welds on that "poor quality part".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By fondupot
      Hey guys, so I did a review and install video for Clearview Mirrors USA. They were awesome and sent me out a set of mirrors for my truck. I did a full unboxing, review, and installation of the mirrors.

They really are top notch. Be it pricey, but if you are doing any sort of towing with your Colorado or Canyon, these mirrors will definitely make your life easier. The mirrors are super well made, very sturdy. I am very pleased with them.

All the info you need is in the video. Leave a comment and a thumbs up. Definitely go visit the www.ClearviewMirrorsUSA.com website and check out the product page.

• By DrDecay
      I have a strange problem with my 2014 Sierra SLT 1500. Randomly the doors will self-lock and the mirrors will fold. This will happen even while driving down the road. I will unfold the mirrors and they will refold in a couple seconds. After 3-4 times, it will quit. It is disconcerting because it can self-lock even while idling in the driveway. I have to use Onstar to unlock my truck. But I have to be quick and yank the door open instantly or it will self-lock again in about 1 second. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    • By DanG
      I have an io3 in a 2016 Colorado.  It either starts up well in the morning or repeatedly reboots.  Rebooting has lasted up to 2 days before.  It has been reprogrammed and more recently the control panel replaced.  Rebooting is down to about 2 days a week and can last up to 15 minutes.  It can end on the radio screen, the home screen or the clock only.  It can reset nothing, reset the clock, and/ or reset the station presets.  Lately, it's just reset the clock.  Any help is appreciated.  Dealer is currently waiting for an answer from GM.  What could be wrong?  
    • By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
      6/4/2018

The 2019 model year is just around the bend. Within the next six weeks, General Motors will start to manufacture and (shortly thereafter) sell yet another brand new model year's worth of automobiles. We already know the Silverado is going to be all new but it isn't the only Chevrolet that's getting new and notable features. This week we'll be taking a look at all of the new features you can expect to see on dealership lots later this year. From small changes in colors, new infotainment systems, and new options, each Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, & Cadillac has something new up its sleeve for the next production year. 

Check out our other "What's New For 2019 Articles"

Right now, we take a look at what's new, changed and modified in the 2019 Chevrolet Colorado. 

2018 Options That Have Been Retired
           (SUM) Centennial Edition      (PDB) Shoreline Special Edition- LT Cloth Package      (PDC) Shoreline Special Edition- Luxury Package      (G35) Centennial Blue Metallic      (GEW) Wheatland Yellow (still available as SEO color)      (GMW) Deepwood Green Metallic      (GPA) Graphite Metallic      (PZX) 18" Dark Argent metallic cast aluminum wheels      (IOB) 7" diagonal Color Touch Screen with Chevrolet MyLink      (IO5) 8" diagonal Color Touch Screen with Chevrolet MyLink      (IO6) 8" diagonal Color Touch Screen Navigation with Chevrolet MyLink      (USR) USB port, located on instrument panel      (MCY) USB port, located inside center console      (MCZ) 2, USB, located on the rear of the center console  
      New Features, Colors & Options for 2019
           (G16) Crush      (GJI) Shadow Gray Metallic      (G6O) Pacific Blue Metallic      (IOR) Chevrolet Infotainment System with 7" diagonal color touch-screen      (IOS) Chevrolet Infotainment System with 8" diagonal color touch-screen      (IOT) Chevrolet Infotainment System with Navigation and 8" diagonal color touch-screen      (MCR) USB data ports, 2, one type-A and one type-C, includes SD Card Reader, auxiliary input jack      (USS) USB charging-only ports, 2, located on the rear of the center console      (UST) USB data ports, 2, one type-A and one type-C      2nd microphone for passenger      (UVB) HD Rear Vision Camera      (AG1) 6-way power driver seat      (UVD) Heated steering wheel (standard on Z71 and ZR2 models)      (UD7) Rear Park Assist      (RCV) 18" Dark Argent metallic cast aluminum wheel  
      Small Changes In Trim & Packaging for 2019
           (UVC) Rear Vision Camera no longer available on uplevel trims (replaced with UVB HD Rear Vision Camera)      (AH6) 4-way power driver seat adjuster replaced with (AG1) 6-way power drive seat adjuster on uplevel trims      (PCW) Safety Package now includes (UD7) Rear Park Assist      (PCK) Luxury Package now includes (UVD) heated steering wheel      ZR2 models now feature Black bowties