Fuel tank size?

17 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Chevrolet's website says 26 gallons for Crew Cab Short Bed 1500.

That's a highway range of about 500 miles before the light comes on.  

That's for a 2018. 2019 reports to be 24 gallons.  24 is probably ok if you don't tow.  Towing you have a 300 or less mile range. 

Edited by shift_grind
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeNH said:

I do about 400 miles a week at minimum, just commuting to and from work. A few extra trips this week and I'm well past 600. The longer I can go the better. And when I do the trip from NH to MI, being able not to have to fuel up in NY is a big plus. My last Silverado might have been able to do it if you ran it down to nothing, the Wrangler absolutely couldn't and thankfully the Grand Cherokee I drive for now can easily do it. 

But is it only on certain trims? I think on the current trucks it has to be a long bed to get it. 

I was referring to Ford

That's for a 2018. 2019 reports to be 24 gallons.  24 is probably ok if you don't tow.  The. You have a 300 or less mile range. 
I have a 15 2500 6.0. I get 225 miles to a tank while towing. I carry 20 gallons with me for short trips. Kinda wish i never traded in my 14 5.3

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

On 8/12/2018 at 8:13 AM, shift_grind said:

That's for a 2018. 2019 reports to be 24 gallons.  24 is probably ok if you don't tow.  Towing you have a 300 or less mile range. 

Well, it was a 2019 LD, same truck as 2018!  Not the new one.  Don't see anything about the new one.  Wait and see until the correct specs come out.  All kinds of mis-information was flying around before each new style has been released.  GM has always sized their larger cars and trucks for the most part to get 300 miles in city driving.  

7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Well, it was a 2019 LD, same truck as 2018!  Not the new one.  Don't see anything about the new one.  Wait and see until the correct specs come out.  All kinds of mis-information was flying around before each new style has been released.  GM has always sized their larger cars and trucks for the most part to get 300 miles in city driving.  

Gmfleetorderguide.com.  They have shown 24 gallons for sometime under specifications/Capacity.  But I heard some of the reviews mention 26 gallons.  

A vehicle made to focus on towing needs a bigger tank.  

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 1:52 PM, shift_grind said:

... A vehicle made to focus on towing needs a bigger tank.  

THIS!  We tow quite a bit, and our old half ton wasn't doing it with regards to fuel range.  There was a park we used to go to out of Mt. Rainier that when we arrived, I would have to unhook and travel farther still to get gas for the trip home.  When towing, the distance combined with the mountain pass was too much for the small gas tank to get us back to a gas station closer to home.  I've been hoping for years that GM would finally wise up and put a larger tank in their half-tons, but I've about given up.  Ford has been doing it for a while, Toyota is offering one in the Tundra, I believe you can get a larger one as an option in the RAM, and that leaves just GM and maybe Nissan as the outliers.

Can't believe they didn't make a larger tank size an option for the 2019's. Like @MikeNH I travel a minimum of 400 miles a week, add in weekend trips and trips to the gym and such and I'm pushing over 600 easy. I feel like I'm at the gas station all the time. Does it help that I lifted it and put 35s on it? No. Would I gladly pay for a 2x gas tank? Yes.

I see diesel aux tanks a lot but never see gas tanks. From what I've read there is issue with them leaking fumes and the lower flash point compared to diesel.

If you want a 30+ gallon fuel tank it is an extra available for $500 with the F-150 and the RAM Rebel or standard with the Toyota Tundra Limited trucks. Out in the west where I travel a 22 gallon usable tank range means carry jerry cans which is something I have done in the past with my Willys but not something I care to repeat.

According to the 2019 Silverado Owners Manual:

Fuel Tank
1500 Series Standard and Short Box (Gas & 4WD Diesel)           90.9 L,    24.0 gal
1500 Series Standard and Short Box (2WD Diesel)      83.3 L,    22.0 gal
1500 Series Long Box       106.0 L,   28.0 gal

On 8/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, Donstar said:

I think the gas tank size is appropriate for the average owner.  Dual tanks were an option in the past.  The extra capacity was needed then because you were getting significantly fewer mpg's!

Yep, my 1979 k10 has the dual side saddle 16 gal each tanks. Getting 8mpg city and 10 hwy I need both tanks!

69E6A5FF-2612-4C06-8EBF-8CE4C8C93509.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, karmasoft said:

Prospective buyer here. Can anyone confirm the max possible fuel tank size?

This is directly from the 2019 Owners Manual:

Fuel Tank

1500 Series Standard and Short Box (Gas & 4WD Diesel)       24.0 gal            

1500 Series Standard and Short Box (2WD Diesel)               22.0 gal 

1500 Series Long Box                                                    28.0 gal

Thank you for this information. I was wondering if an option such as, "max trailering," would include a larger capacity fuel tank?

From GMC's configurator, the, "details," revealed by max trailering package (shown below), doesn't list a larger fuel tank.  Obviously the truck is brand new and one would suspect GM would eventually offer a larger tank, or is that thinking misguided?

Increased towing and GCWR rating
Automatic locking rear differential
Handling/Trailering1 Suspension Package
Enhanced cooling radiator
Revised shock tuning
Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
9.76" rear axle
3.42 axle ratio
Trailer brake controller
Trailering Equipment
May require additional optional equipment

3 minutes ago, karmasoft said:

Thank you for this information. I was wondering if an option such as, "max trailering," would include a larger capacity fuel tank?

From GMC's configurator, the, "details," revealed by max trailering package (shown below), doesn't list a larger fuel tank.  Obviously the truck is brand new and one would suspect GM would eventually offer a larger tank, or is that thinking misguided?

Increased towing and GCWR rating
Automatic locking rear differential
Handling/Trailering1 Suspension Package
Enhanced cooling radiator
Revised shock tuning
Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
9.76" rear axle
3.42 axle ratio
Trailer brake controller
Trailering Equipment
May require additional optional equipment

It doesn't list towing mirrors either.  Which I find odd.