Confirm Oil Plug / Fumoto Drain Valve

I'm 99% certain I have the oil plug identified correctly - circled in red on the attached pic.  I'm considering replacing this with the Fumoto (new generation valve - https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f107sx.html) to aid collection of oil for Blackstone analysis and curious if I should still be concerned about possible errant opening if driving through brush even if I use their included clip?   (Generally not an off-roader.  But do have some acreage and occasionally drive through tall grass/brush in the pasture or side fields hauling a small Kubota on a car hauler.)

Also, does anybody know why the cross member directly below and towards the front of the truck from the oil plug has all the raised bumps covering it?  It also feels oily even though I could find no evidence of leaks above it.  The truck is only a few weeks old and only just turned 1,000 miles.

IMG_6689.JPG

I would think it would be fine since the valve is above the crossmember.  The Fumoto valve is the way to go.  No mess changing oil from pulling the drain plug.  Plus I like to change the oil right after coming off the interstate when it is good and hot.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I just ordered it and a spare keeper.  I ordered the newer SX 2 piece Fumoto valve as it's supposed to drain a bit faster.  I also ordered a BlackStone kit so I'll be ready to test the factory fill oil when it comes out.  

I have the 107sx and my only complaint is the nipple size... very hard to keep a tube attached in my experience. If I sit and babysit it, no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So can someone explain the "in's and out's" of the 2 Fumoto designs?  Do some or all of our trucks have "recessed ports" and what is considered "close to the ground" ?? 

From their website: " Your oil pan may have a recessed oil drain port and need an adapter ADP-107 to install the valve.

F107SX can be used without the adapter, but if it can only be pointed down close to the ground, use ADP-107SX to adjust the valve orientation. "

So can someone explain the "in's and out's" of the 2 Fumoto designs?  Do some or all of our trucks have "recessed ports" and what is considered "close to the ground" ?? 

From their website: " Your oil pan may have a recessed oil drain port and need an adapter ADP-107 to install the valve.
F107SX can be used without the adapter, but if it can only be pointed down close to the ground, use ADP-107SX to adjust the valve orientation. "

Neither apply to our trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kevinfranklin said:

In terms of the 2 designs, as I understand it, the older design was/is a single casting so the orientation of the open/close valve is just whatever it happens to be based on where the threads land it once fully tightened.  The newer design I purchased (the F107SX for the 2018 5.3) is a 2 piece casting which allows the valve control handle to be placed in any orientation relative to the oil pan regardless of where the threads reach fully snug.   The newer design is also supposedly going to drain faster.  The most frequent criticism I noted on the original Fumoto valves was that they took a long time to drain.  

As bushleaguechew mentioned, at least for the 2018 5.3 V8 the oil plug is NOT recessed so the adapter isn't applicable.  And the valve isn't close to the ground like it would be in a low riding sedan or coupe.  It also isn't on the very bottom of the pan pointing at the road, but angled on the side of the pan near the bottom.    Finally, it's higher than the crossmember it sits close to as seen in my original post's picture.  (The crossmember being the dimpled bar - drips from the anti corrosion dip they put the frame through.)

I have had a Fumoto F107N on my Sierra for at least 4 years now without any issues. It nice being able to attached piece of hose and drain the oil into empty 5 qt containers. Definitely makes for a less messy oil change.

GM must have changed the drain pan at sometime because the drain plug location looks different than the one on my 2014 5.3 The OP's pic looks like the plug is almost at a 45 deg angle. Mine is more on the side (90 degrees). Found a pic off a YouTube video for comparison:

Screenshot 2018-08-28 at 6.16.43 PM.png