Defender LTX or BFG KO2's

9 minutes ago, steelcity said:

AT3 XLT iseven better - 

Those may be better for off-road in deep mud/sand with those side lugs.

But the OP said he's on road 90% of the time. I think the XLT is overkill for most average use. It seems many people buy overly aggressive tires for the looks even if they sacrifice fuel mileage in doing so. Its up to each person to decide what is more important to them in their intended use.

28 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Michelin Defenders from Costco.  No hassle, good price, and excellent all season tire.

Right on the money!  I walked out with set of 4qty just over 800.00?  Happier than a PIG IN MUD!

Right on the money!  I walked out with set of 4qty just over 800.00?  Happier than a PIG IN MUD!

Just don’t take your pig down a muddy hill, or else it might get stuck at the bottom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, MO GMC said:

I am looking at the Defender LTX and also the BFG KO2. 

These have always been my top two choices as IMO they are tops in their class.  Went with the latter and am astounded at how well they run through torrential rain and standing water.  I dare say they are better in the wet than the Radial T/As on my old muscle cars.  Less mileage?  Probably.  Less life?  For sure.  Ride not as good?  Some, but my bad back doesn't complain about them.

Where you'll need 4WD with the Defenders, you won't with the KO2s in most cases.  A buddy would need 4WD with his Toyo highway tires, mine could run in same yuck in 2WD.

If you do go with Defenders, watch for the kind of tire, whether P-Metric or LT and which LT.  Tire weights vary depending on type.      

Got my 285/65/20 michelins at Costco with nitrogen fill. If you get the load range E version remember they can run up to 80 PSI for over the road and towing duty. At ~45PSI you'll still get good mileage cruising. Stop and go will still lose just a bit.due to the added weight i think mine ~54 lbs. If you go trail riding air them down like any AT and they will get more traction.

• Like 1

Just dumped my SRA for KO2 yesterday after a blowout on the way to work and couldnt be happier. They look awesome and the road noise isnt even noticable unless you dont have the radio/AC running. I filled up yesterday as well and am getting 1.5 MPG less than normal but im wondering if this is partially to the fact that i went up to 275/70 from 265/65. Either way, worth it imo! 

20180828_174132.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DustinZ71 said:

Just dumped my SRA for KO2 yesterday after a blowout on the way to work and couldnt be happier. They look awesome and the road noise isnt even noticable unless you dont have the radio/AC running. I filled up yesterday as well and am getting 1.5 MPG less than normal but im wondering if this is partially to the fact that i went up to 275/70 from 265/65. Either way, worth it imo! 

20180828_174132.jpg

Circumference on your new tire is 5% larger. If you were getting 18 or 19 mpg before, your mileage is now off almost one mpg. Yes the tire is heavier, but the loss is pretty negligible. 

20180828_174132.thumb.jpg.d4cd9741ff52afd15cb978836b499f76.jpg

Doesn’t look like you have a level or anything, is your suspension stock? Notice any rub with having a larger tire?

2" level up front. Zero rub. Here is a pic with the 265/65 on them right after i picked it up from the shop. Im not certain but i think you'd get some rub without a level.

Resized_20180720_152141.jpeg

Edited by DustinZ71
  • Like 2

I had 275/70/18 BFG without a leveling kit and they did not rub.
5b86d3d9965c8_nolevel.thumb.jpg.c45d2602121f7fe38b9350b13a563c70.jpg

Good to hear. Need new tires before this winter rolls around, trying to figure out what I need to do. Want slightly bigger tires but unsure if whether or not I want to level yet.