Defender LTX or BFG KO2's

Hi Everyone,  I am looking to upgrade my goodyear SRA's to a better tire since i live in the northeast and i love the outdoors.  I am looking at the Defender LTX and also the BFG KO2.  I know they are 2 completely different tires, I use the truck 90% on the road and the rest would be on log roads/camping/outdoors.  

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were?  I am a little worried the BFG KO2 will drop my gas mileage significantly And also Road noise?  I had the Michelin Defenders in the past and had no complaints however i was thinking of a little more of a A/T tire than a highway tire.    

I upgraded from crap 275/55/20 SRA's to 285/55/20 BFG-K02's on my RCSB and Love Them..

Had BFG All-Terrains on my old truck as well as Tahoe..

Zero problems and overall great traction..

Cheers----K

NewAgainRCSB.JPG

• Like 2

Did you notice 

Just now, vinemann12 said:

I upgraded from crap 275/55/20 SRA's to 285/55/20 BFG-K02's on my RCSB and Love Them..

Had BFG All-Terrains on my old truck as well as Tahoe..

Zero problems and overall great traction..

Cheers----K

NewAgainRCSB.JPG

How did they compare to the SRA as far as road noise and MPG?

Those 275/55-20 have about a 14lb difference per tire with the BFG being the heavier tire(54 lbs).  I put on a set of the BFG's to replace the OEM Bridgestones and while the tires were quiet and smooth, I lost about 2 mpg.  My next set of tires will be the Defender LTX(40 Lbs).  

I did get a bit More road noise, but not like some of the radical tread tires out there...

Road noise is not as bad as my All-Terrains

For MPG,, lost about 1-2, but overall still get 18+ overall and 22+ @ 65...

Cheers---K

meh...If your not actively off-roading I see no reason too?  I just put on Defender LTX's 5k miles ago.  Absolute dream and If I do hit the dirt I would have no problem knowing that sand,mud "aka" slop is where TKO's will prevail.  I am probably the only who could care less about 4hi-4Lo going away too.  Never used 4low and that was with work trucks in sand,mud "aka" slop.....

25 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

meh...If your not actively off-roading I see no reason too?  I just put on Defender LTX's 5k miles ago.  Absolute dream and If I do hit the dirt I would have no problem knowing that sand,mud "aka" slop is where TKO's will prevail.  I am probably the only who could care less about 4hi-4Lo going away too.  Never used 4low and that was with work trucks in sand,mud "aka" slop.....

They are going away with the 4WD Low?

On the New Silverados I believe the midlevel trucks (think LT) have a single speed transfer case.

Go Michelin. I have them now and they do great. Gas mileage from the SR-As is basically unaffected, traction is a MILLION times better, and snow traction is unreal for a highway tire. Dirt road traction is great too, though I can't speak for ,mud or sand traction. 

They hold up well too. The roads around here aren't always the best, and they don't even flinch. They also mow down a rabbit without hesitation :lol:

40 minutes ago, MO GMC said:

They are going away with the 4WD Low?

Yup, some trim levels will still have the 4low.....Something I don't want but having owned many KO's I will take the Michelin's without hesitation!

normal A/T tires are more than capable for the light off-road use you describe. I would not spend the money on the BFGs.

I personally like Cooper Discoverer A/T3. I will be buying those for my new ride. I had the old version on my last truck for years and I loved them. Great all weather performance. But I'm more likely to drive in snow than mud.

I'd say none of the above.

If 100% road, I would say defenders for sure.

If hitting dirt frequently, KO2s are a good choice.

For mostly on road, but occasional off road, I suggest the Yokohama Geolandar AT G015.  They look cooler than Defenders, but are not too aggressive.  They have a quiet and efficient ride.  Many sizes are severe snow rated.  Great traction on wet roads.  Good treadwear warranty. 

Check 'em out.

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, aseibel said:

normal A/T tires are more than capable for the light off-road use you describe. I would not spend the money on the BFGs.

I personally like Cooper Discoverer A/T3. I will be buying those for my new ride. I had the old version on my last truck for years and I loved them. Great all weather performance. But I'm more likely to drive in snow than mud.

AT3 XLT iseven better - 0040980133829_A?wid=1500&hei=1500&qlt=80&op_sharpen=1