2017-2019 Gas or Diesel

Morning,

I am trying to make an educated decision concerning buying a new truck. I  am looking at a 2500-3500 Silverado 2017-18...   I was sold on the 6.6 Diesel but to be honest the price is holding me back.  I have found a few deals and this months incentives are fabulous.  BUT that is not the question.

The question is I'd like to hear from owners who have the 6.0 Gas version and the 6.6 Diesel. How do your trucks preform?  Mainly the Gas because I have no doubt the Diesel is a Beast.  But with a 10k higher price....   and about .40c a gallon more for fuel plus Def....  and Maint.  What type of mileage are you Gas owners getting under towing conditions?  I will be towing about 13k loaded. Even though not near as powerful does the 6.0 give good overall performance to your needs?  Longevity?

Thanks I really appreciate actual owners thoughts and experiences.

DS

Keith M  SW Ohio

I had an 2008 Duramax dually for 8 years , an awesome truck and I pulled a 33 foot Montana Fifth wheel , loaded up that Fifthwheel was 12000 pounds. I decided to sell my Fifth wheel and bought an Arctic Fox camper that weighs 5000 pounds loaded up. My 08 Duramax Dually handled the camper fine but was  a ton over it's payload. I wanted to stick with a GM truck so I ordered my 2016 Dually High Country. The 6.0 gas gave me an extra 760 pounds of payload in a CC 4X4"

every model is different but gas engines let you haul more, Diesel engines let you tow more. 

My 2016 Dually has 2000 pounds more payload than my 2008 Dually, quite an improvement. 

The payload increase was my only reason to go gas. On a factory order, I could have got the same truck with a Duramax in the LT model for less money than my 6.0 gas High Country.

So far I love my 6.0 gas, all the power I need hauling my 5000 pound camper. No problem pulling a steep grade at 60 mph with a total weight of over 13000 pounds. The Duramax hauling the camper got 14 miles to the Imperial gal, the 6.0 will do 11 mpg. No question the Duramax had way more power but my 6.0 is more than ample for my needs. I love the cheap oil changes on my 6,0

i don't have to deal with diesel exhaust fluid, soot filter problems and I don't have a big ugly 

deisel exhaust tank hanging down. If I ever went back to a big Fiver and GMC tucked its DEF tank up where you don't see it, I would probably get another Duramax. I was a slow learner, I drove Ford trucks for 33 years before a lemon 6.0 Powerstoke Diesel drove me to buy my 08 Duramax, 

l am now a solid fan of GM HD pickups. I love the ride and handling of the IFS suspension over the bone crushing straight axles that Ford and Ram put on their HD trucks. Good luck in whatever you choose. 

• Like 2

I could have written the original post - having a similar debate.  My current opinion is that I'm looking for a good, used:

- 2500 gasser

- 3500 diesel

I would like anyone here to verify these assumptions, but I can't really see why you'd get a 2500 diesel or a 3500 gasser.   The lower payload/gvwr/tow ratings in any 2500 seems to preclude towing anything super big, so the diesel is not worth the added cost and reduces payload even further.  The 3500 gasser gives you a good payload, but transmission and towing capacity doesn't seem to justify/utilize the high payload.

Just my 2 cents so far.  My towing would likely be limited to weekend towing of goose necks and 5th wheel RVs, so not towing all the time.  

All that being said, I've recently found a decent used 2500 diesel, but the payload is only 2000 lbs.  I'm sorely tempted, but this seems to limit the RV we could get pretty severely right?

Edited by dhawken

I was in the same boat as you a month ago. Ended up with a 2019 duramax 2500 over the 2019 2500 6.0. Super happy with the end result, as well as the fact it’ll hold its value you much better long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second 2 of the above posts:

1.) I love my 6.0. Tows my trailer with ease and is an all-around awesome truck.

2.) With a max tow rating of 13k/14k (5th), I agree - would not want to tow 13k with the gas engine. Diesel will be much better.

These questions are same-old same-old. If you haul 12-13k or more on a REGULAR BASIS, a diesel is the best option. If you're 12k or less, and maybe not a daily/weekly haul, then a gasser will most definitely do the job IHMO.

• Like 3

On September 19, 2018 at 10:34 AM, dhawken said:

I could have written the original post - having a similar debate.  My current opinion is that I'm looking for a good, used:

- 2500 gasser

- 3500 diesel

I would like anyone here to verify these assumptions, but I can't really see why you'd get a 2500 diesel or a 3500 gasser.   The lower payload/gvwr/tow ratings in any 2500 seems to preclude towing anything super big, so the diesel is not worth the added cost and reduces payload even further.  The 3500 gasser gives you a good payload, but transmission and towing capacity doesn't seem to justify/utilize the high payload.

Just my 2 cents so far.  My towing would likely be limited to weekend towing of goose necks and 5th wheel RVs, so not towing all the time.  

All that being said, I've recently found a decent used 2500 diesel, but the payload is only 2000 lbs.  I'm sorely tempted, but this seems to limit the RV we could get pretty severely right?

agree re: 2500 diesel, i would get 3500 instead.

not sure re: 3500 gas - think heavy trailer for contractor around town, not doing the rockies with a big wind-catching 5th wheel, maybe towing a hydroseeder or something with a trencher and a bunch of sod in the bed.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:44 PM, Criscone said:

I was in the same boat as you a month ago. Ended up with a 2019 duramax 2500 over the 2019 2500 6.0. Super happy with the end result, as well as the fact it’ll hold its value you much better long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess it depends on the market..  With the new emissions diesels, I am in the camp that I will never buy a used diesel anymore. I have gotten burned in my commercial stuff with going with used emissions equipped diesels.  The cost of either deleting the nonsense or the cost of replacing emissions stuff and keeping it going just isn't worth it.  So, when it comes to modern diesels, new is the only game for me.

Even then, I would never buy a GM diesel.  But that is just me.  I prefer inline diesels not V diesels.  Inlines are far less complex, easier to work on, etc.  Notice how V diesels were tried in large commercial trucks and now there is not a single V diesel made for heavy trucks?  They figured things out.  Not a Cummins fan either, so that means I will never buy a diesel pickup anytime soon.  If I have a need for diesel to move bigger stuff, then I will go with a medium duty and get what I want.  The options for spec'ing exactly what one wants the vehicle to be are far more than any brand of pickup.  And they will do a heavy 5th wheel camper much better.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

6 oh 2500 here, I can haul almost 3,000 lbs in my bed, do it all the time. I don't tow a lot, so the reliable gasser for me. I'm getting 13 to 14 mpg average almost all the time, so not to bad considering how much I constantly carry in my truck, i.e. 1000 lbs of tools in the tool box. I like putting the 4 wheeler in the bed instead of hooking up the trailer every time, 1000 pound quad, all the crap that goes along, but no heavy towing, if towing a lot of weight a lot of the time, I would look towards a diesel then.

• Like 2

I went from an 03 Cummins to this 17 2500 gas.  The fuel mileage difference is noticeable when towing, but living in Saskatchewan we have winter what seems like 8 months of the year, (its snowing outside right now ugh), and I was tired of always having to plug my diesel in when it was cold out, long warm up times, and high idle reving while it sits in front of the house.  So I bit the bullet and went to a gas job... Maintenance is cheaper, its easier to start when its cold, and it warms up inside way faster.  Some days I miss the noise my diesel made, and the smell but for the most part I am happy I saved over 10g on the initial purchase price, and the 6.0 still does anything I ask of it.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bhurt said:

I went from an 03 Cummins to this 17 2500 gas.  The fuel mileage difference is noticeable when towing, but living in Saskatchewan we have winter what seems like 8 months of the year, (its snowing outside right now ugh), and I was tired of always having to plug my diesel in when it was cold out, long warm up times, and high idle reving while it sits in front of the house.  So I bit the bullet and went to a gas job... Maintenance is cheaper, its easier to start when its cold, and it warms up inside way faster.  Some days I miss the noise my diesel made, and the smell but for the most part I am happy I saved over 10g on the initial purchase price, and the 6.0 still does anything I ask of it.  

I'm in Michigan, so the cold isn't as much of a concern here.  Good to know the 6.0 is doing what you need.  I'm thinking I'll keep watching for a good used 2500 6.0 at this time and see how it works out.  I'm really interested in the 2020 HD lineup, so maybe this next one only has to keep me through to 2022 or so when I can get a new generation used. 

PS How are your Raiders this year?

Love my 2015 Duramax. I t has soooo much torque. Avg 14-16 in city and 19-21 highway not towing. The DEF is no big deal. Diesel fuel is a little pricey.....

If you are towing 5000 lbs often get the diesel. If just loading the bed, etc.... the gas 6.0 is fine.

• 4 weeks later...
Guess it depends on the market..  With the new emissions diesels, I am in the camp that I will never buy a used diesel anymore. I have gotten burned in my commercial stuff with going with used emissions equipped diesels.  The cost of either deleting the nonsense or the cost of replacing emissions stuff and keeping it going just isn't worth it.  So, when it comes to modern diesels, new is the only game for me.

Even then, I would never buy a GM diesel.  But that is just me.  I prefer inline diesels not V diesels.  Inlines are far less complex, easier to work on, etc.  Notice how V diesels were tried in large commercial trucks and now there is not a single V diesel made for heavy trucks?  They figured things out.  Not a Cummins fan either, so that means I will never buy a diesel pickup anytime soon.  If I have a need for diesel to move bigger stuff, then I will go with a medium duty and get what I want.  The options for spec'ing exactly what one wants the vehicle to be are far more than any brand of pickup.  And they will do a heavy 5th wheel camper much better.

I just have to throw this out there. Scania. THE V8 diesel. Also the Wartsila 31 ship engine at 6,000+ HP.

35 minutes ago, heymrdjCW said:

I just have to throw this out there. Scania. THE V8 diesel. Also the Wartsila 31 ship engine at 6,000+ HP.

No doubt.   A engine that predominately runs at a constant RPM for extended periods and under a constant load.  In heavy commercial trucks that shifting is required, variations in traffic speed, variations in terrain and load, etc, V8 diesels are only a memory.   The just didn't work out over time.  And no one is even talking about doing it again for heavy trucks.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1