New 2018 vs 2019 dilemma

Donstar

I've been looking for a new truck (on and off) for months.  My original incentive for replacing my  current '15 was for more trailer towing ability.   Unfortunately, the bigger trailer dream is indefinitely postponed.   My peers are buying their compact suv's and crossovers but nothing beats the feel and comfort of a full size pickup, imo.  The fact that my wife refuses to drive the big beast and also wants me to get a suv has its own pressures to choose carefully.  If more power can't be my justification for buying new, then operating costs and comfort get a lot more attention!   Here is my reason for getting your opinions.  I decided long ago that any new truck will be a LTZ/SLT level or better.  I had settled on taking advantage of '18 clearance prices but videos such as this on are making me think otherwise!  This video does an excellent job providing a down to earth look at a '19 LT.  The interior and exterior are both preferable to me than any '18 LTZ or SLT currently on the lots.  The new models have not reached our dealerships yet but this video is enough to make me hold off until they do before buying new.  I know that there are many variations to consider but I'd appreciate your thoughts on my '18 LTZ / SLT or a '19 LT / SLE dilemma.

10 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I've been looking for a new truck (on and off) for months.  My original incentive for replacing my  current '15 was for more trailer towing ability.   Unfortunately, the bigger trailer dream is indefinitely postponed.   My peers are buying their compact suv's and crossovers but nothing beats the feel and comfort of a full size pickup, imo.  The fact that my wife refuses to drive the big beast and also wants me to get a suv has its own pressures to choose carefully.  If more power can't be my justification for buying new, then operating costs and comfort get a lot more attention!   Here is my reason for getting your opinions.  I decided long ago that any new truck will be a LTZ/SLT level or better.  I had settled on taking advantage of '18 clearance prices but videos such as this on are making me think otherwise!  This video does an excellent job providing a down to earth look at a '19 LT.  The interior and exterior are both preferable to me than any '18 LTZ or SLT currently on the lots.  The new models have not reached our dealerships yet but this video is enough to make me hold off until they do before buying new.  I know that there are many variations to consider but I'd appreciate your thoughts on my '18 LTZ / SLT or a '19 LT / SLE dilemma.

The 2019's are very nice.  The only downfall I see is that you aren't going to get a good deal on one right now.  If you could wait another 6 months to a year, you would be able to get a lot better pricing.  If not I would go with the 18 LTZ/SLT, and get a much better deal.  Best of luck with whichever route you go.

• Like 1

Deals are happening quicker than you think.

Within the KC area here, discounts on 2019 T1 trucks are reaching as much as 7k now.

Donstar, its all a matter of what you want.

Do you prefer the look of the outgoing K2 2018 or 2019T1 better?

That fact alone should point you in the right direction for an answer.

Big difference between the Silverado and Sierra now. 

If you are going for more towing ability you should look at a 6.2 for power.

50 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I hear ya!  My wife pretty much refuses to drive mine too?  Probably would rake the whole side of from nose to tail putting it in garage so maybe I am glad she does not want to drive it?  Donstar, the 2019's are even bigger!  Wider too....but the driving actually is more SUV and feels even smaller than the K2's.  You have been driving Trucks far longer than I and this one is like going from the Solid fronts to IFS of a few decades ago....it rides that GOOD!  I still love my  95% STEEL K2 even though it rides PORTLY and bloated compared to a 2019....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

?

I wouldn't go that far.

I would. I’ve owned a 2015,2016,2017 and a 2019 GMC Sierra and driven countless loaners. 

The 2019 fixes all the issues I had with the previous generation having clunky drivelines, transmission clunkiness and backlash/driveline slop. 

I always love when people comment on a truck they haven’t even owned like their opinion has any merit.

Edited by JacobC1983
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JacobC1983 said:

Just get the 2019. It’s better in almost every way. Wait another 6 months for some more discounts and get a higher optioned 2019 if you need to. 

45 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

?

I wouldn't go that far.

While the 2019's do have some nice features that the 2017/2018 should have had to keep up with the competition, there are some negatives still with the 2019. Probably best to get out there and do some test driving to see how you totally feel.

It's a tough one, especially now where the 2018 stock is slowly depleting and you probably have to make a decision soon before there isn't much left. If you go with a 2018, at least try to go with an LTZ or High Country. I went with the 2018 Z71 LT and at times do regret it a little bit since the LTZ would have been the sweet spot with some of the additional features.

Though I will say that some of the 2019 features I wish we had in the 2018. I promised my wife I'd keep this one for at least 5-7 years, had just traded in my 2016 Colorado that I had for less than 2 years and can't keep taking those heavy hits with trades.

Edited by captainzombie

So far after just a couple of minor hiccups (paint defect and missing SD memory card)

2019 Owners here are reporting good news and feedback.

RAM owners are reporting Braking Problems, Leaking Panoramic Sunroofs, Blank and Glitching 12" Touchscreens, Interior Trim and Badges Falling off... and the list goes on.

With any car maker I don't like buying first year model just in case there are inherent problems that have not been addressed. I do like the new innovations of the new 2019 models like the interior, I have a 2017 Silverado. I also heard the 2019 have better ride as well. The only thing I don't like about the 2019 model was the front end and most body panels looks like a mash up of Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra. The only 2019 model I like is actually the Custom trim with the name CHEVROLET in the grill. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacobC1983 said:

Just get the 2019. It’s better in almost every way. Wait another 6 months for some more discounts and get a higher optioned 2019 if you need to. 

No need to wait. Discounts on 2019's are getting really big. How do you like your power adjustable pedals in your 2019? I hear they do not adjust as well as the 2018's? Do you find yourself using the adaptive cruise control on your 2019? only tried it on a cheap Hyundai once. Worked really well. I am sure GMC has taken it to the next level.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, O_J_Simpson said:

No need to wait. Discounts on 2019's are getting really big. How do you like your power adjustable pedals in your 2019? I hear they do not adjust as well as the 2018's? Do you find yourself using the adaptive cruise control on your 2019? only tried it on a cheap Hyundai once. Worked really well. I am sure GMC has taken it to the next level.

I like the non power adjustable pedals on my 2019 great because the pedal doesn’t flex.  I love the adaptive cruise control it doesn’t have because lights and sunshine don’t freak it out like my dads Mercedes and QX80.  

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Complete Sarcasm there OJ

What baffles me most are those that do not identify their year, make, model or even a name.... such as you.

So would you be considered a :troll: here?

Is this what other members refer to as Trolls? 

Those who are unidentified and bash the Brand of the Site?

Inquiring minds want to know :seeya: