What size level do I have?

zea

I bought a used 2017 Silverado z71 earlier this year that already had a leveling kit installed. Everything I can find leads me to believe it is only a 1" kit. The problem is I can not find anyone online that makes a 1in kit. 

The kit uses a strut spacer on top. The spacer appears to measure 1" and I still have 1.5 inches of rake. 

What am I missing?

Photo Apr 27, 3 31 32 PM.jpg

The thickness of the spacer is not the same as amount of the lift.  I little rake is good, imo.   Go to a trusted dealer or even a suspension shop and have it looked over.   I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a truck that I knew had suspension work but not knowing how or what work was performed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zea said:

What size kit would come with a 1" spacer? 1.5"?

Typically on the lower strut mount style leveling kits, a 1/2 inch spacer gets you 1 inch level, a 1 inch spacer gets you 2 inch level.  I'm not sure if the upper mount spacers give the same lift ratio.   

Honestly looking at your picture you posted, it looks just about stock, as if the PO took the level kit out?  Could just be the angle of the picture/proportion to the ground. 

Got any pictures of the upper strut area?  Also, any rear blocks that don't look stock?

Edited by newdude

The picture is probably just an illusion. There is definitely a lift on it.  Just tried to take a few pictures. It was difficult with the wheels still on.  The rear has a small block, appears to be factory. 

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0298.jpeg

Those pictures of the top of the front strut look stock to me. Here is what the top of my stock z71 looked like. You might try to find a part number on the front strut and see if it is stock or aftermarket with a built in lift amount. 

The other place to look for a leveling kit is on the bottom of the front strut. There are two mounting ears that stick out from teh shock and bolt to the lower control arm. See if there is something that looks like a spacer.

20180422_112458.jpg

11 hours ago, ftwhite said:

Those pictures of the top of the front strut look stock to me. Here is what the top of my stock z71 looked like. You might try to find a part number on the front strut and see if it is stock or aftermarket with a built in lift amount. 

The other place to look for a leveling kit is on the bottom of the front strut. There are two mounting ears that stick out from teh shock and bolt to the lower control arm. See if there is something that looks like a spacer.

20180422_112458.jpg

Thanks for the picture of the stock components. The plate you can see on top of the shock is 1+ inches below the top of the bracket holding the strut. 

There is for sure a spacer in there. 

Yeah i'd agree it looks like something is in there as a spacer. I came to work this morning and found a 2018 Silverado 1500 Centennial edition in my same parking lot. Here is a shot of his strut. Ground to front fender was ~36.5"

20181004_084052.jpg

20181004_083959.jpg

Edited by ftwhite

• 5 weeks later...

Very interesting thread.  Is it stock or is there a spacer?  LOL.  The pics of the truck look like there is a lift.  The pics of the stock spring looks like its factory.  I have the rough country 2" leveler on the bottom of the strut.