In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

RPO Code sticker location?

SPID Label Content Now Included with Certification Label

Posted on May 20, 2017 by blogadmin

The Service Parts Identification (SPID) label, often located in the trunk or glovebox of a vehicle, lists a vehicle’s VIN, RPO codes and other information that identify the content of the vehicle. Beginning with the 2018 model year, much of this information will be available through a QR code on the Certification label (Fig. 1) on all Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC models. The change will be phased in over the next several months.

F01-cert-label.png

Fig. 1

The two-dimensional QR code is a simple barcode that offers the former SPID information in a digital format. The Certification label on all GM models is located on the driver-side B pillar, with the exception of the Corvette where it’s on the driver’s door.

QR Code

Software to read the QR code is commonly available for any Android, iPhone or Windows smartphone. Many basic applications can be downloaded for free. Tested QR code readers that are easy to use include NeoReader by NM LLC, i-nigma by 3GVision, QR Scanner by Honestly App, QR Droid by DroidLa and Bar-Code by PW2. GM does not recommended any particular software.

Once the QR code is scanned, the vehicle information will appear in the following order: VIN, Model Year, Model, Build Month, Year, Engineering Book, Vehicle Order Number, 3 Digit RPO Codes sorted alphanumerically, and the Paint Code (same code appears in the lower left of the QR code).

For example, here’s the information as shown from a scanned QR code:

1GNKVGKD1HJ263691,2017,CV14526,03,16,17,TSNWHZ, AG5 AH5 AR9 AXP AYQ C67 DLT DS3 EF7 FE2 GZW IPC I17 JL9 LLT MAH M7X NP5 NT7 QD6 QLW TB4 UI2 UQF U2K V8D WMH X88 1LT 17U 5PK 6AB 7AB 8UM 83C 83I 9UM,636R, , , ,

The RPO codes are bolded above, but not in the actual information. The codes are separated by a space. Up to 48 RPO codes may be displayed. RPO descriptions can be found in the appropriate Service Information under General Information.

If the vehicle information needs to be retained for service records or shared with others, most scanner software also has a selection to email the data. (Fig. 2)

F02-cert-label-email.png

Fig. 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 1:05 PM, 1997_GSX said:

Has anyone been able to locate the RPO Code sticker? Previous Gen was in glove box. I've looked in upper and lower box and even pulled low glove box assembly out and could not locate it.

Hi, Luke! I would be happy to email you a copy of your vehicle's build sheet with its RPO codes. If interested, please email me at [email protected]

Attention : Anthony build sheet request (VIN here). Thank you.  

To learn more about our privacy policy please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Anthony J.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 7:09 PM, OnTheReel said:

Just email [email protected] with the VIN and ask for your build sheet. I emailed them on a Saturday night and got the sheet emailed to me Sunday afternoon. 

FYI, I just tried this today for a 2018 Denali that I purchased and their response is below.  I must say I’m a bit disappointed to hear that I need to pay another $50 to understand what options are really on a $50k truck.

Unfortunately, our team no longer provides build sheet requests. In order to obtain a build sheet, you'll need to place an order from the GM Media Archive website. If this would be of interest to you, I've provided a link below including instructions for your next steps. I hope this helps. http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=ordform 

Anthony J.

Here's a bit more info on when the process change was made.

Hi, Kory. Good afternoon. As of 3/25/2019. A new policy has been implemented for all requested build sheets. We regret to inform you that we will now be requiring a payment of $50 for this service. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but if you have any further questions, comments, and/or concerns please feel free to notify us at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Please refer to the following link: http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

Sincerely,

Justin C.

I ended up taking to the salesman and he printed a build report for me free of charge.  Personally, I think this is a horrible move on GM's part since the barcode on the SPID label only contains a fraction of the information that is in the build report.  This information should be placed on an external facing website so that by scanning the barcode you could be re-directed to the full report on a web server.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, Warlock007 said:

I have the sticker but only thing that comes up is VIN number, I don't have the big QR and can't find it anywhere.

Any help would be great, did they change it on the 19?

Did you load a 'QR code reader' on your phone and have it read the square on the label?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 3:07 PM, ksiesel said:

Here's a bit more info on when the process change was made.

Hi, Kory. Good afternoon. As of 3/25/2019. A new policy has been implemented for all requested build sheets. We regret to inform you that we will now be requiring a payment of $50 for this service. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but if you have any further questions, comments, and/or concerns please feel free to notify us at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Please refer to the following link: http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

Sincerely,

Justin C.

I ended up taking to the salesman and he printed a build report for me free of charge.  Personally, I think this is a horrible move on GM's part since the barcode on the SPID label only contains a fraction of the information that is in the build report.  This information should be placed on an external facing website so that by scanning the barcode you could be re-directed to the full report on a web server.

I'm not sure who you contacted with. I emailed my request last week and got the response in couple of hours with pdf file of RPO Codes, including detailed explanations. 

• 2 months later...