2019 Headlight Adjustment

I’ve got a 19 LTZ and have noticed a few people have flashed their lights at me while driving at night while I have the normal beams on. Overall the lights are very bright. I’m wondering if the normal beam leds may be adjusted to high from the factory. I have attached a picture of the led headlights at night. I have an arrow pointing to what appears to be a dark line in the light output. Is this normal? My thoughts were if the lights were adjusted down a bit the dark line may go away. Thoughts? 

Thanks,

Dan

D6676EC7-89B3-4C8E-A607-8C88DAA3F9D2.jpeg

With your fog lights off, is the dark line still there?  I'm thinking that's the breakpoint between the fogs and the headlights.  I could be wrong though. 

Headlamp Aiming

Headlamp aiming is done with the low beam lamps. The high beam lamps will be correctly aimed if the low beam lamps are aimed properly.

Screen Method for Headlamp Aiming (Visual Aim)

The screen method requires an area set up specifically for headlamp aim.

The area should consist of a level surface large enough to allow for a vehicle and an additional 7.62 m (25 ft) as measured from the face of the headlamps to the aiming screen.

The screen should be a wall or other flat surface at least 1.52 m (5 ft) high by 3.66 m (12 ft) wide with a matte white surface well shaded from extraneous light, and 90 degrees to the floor. The screen should be provided with a permanent vertical reference line 0.61 m (2 ft) from the left edge of the screen, 2 laterally adjustable vertical tapes, and one vertically adjustable horizontal tape.

After the aiming screen has been set up and located, paint or tape a reference line on the floor 15.24 m (50 ft) from the vertical reference line on the screen. This line should be perpendicular to the aiming screen and a mark placed at 7.62 m (25 ft) from the screen.

Headlamp Aiming Procedure
  1. Align the left tires of the vehicle with the reference line extending from the screen with the headlamps aligned with the reference line.
  2. Remove any snow, ice or mud from the vehicle.
  3. The vehicle should be fully assembled and all other work stopped while the headlamp aiming is being done.
  4. The vehicle should contain cargo or be loaded to represent normal vehicle use.
  5. Tires should be properly inflated.
  6. Rock the vehicle to stabilize the suspension.
  7. Measure from the floor to the center of the lamp bulb on the vehicle. Some lamps have an aim dot marked on the lens.
  8. At the screen, measure from the floor and place the horizontal tape at the measured distance.
  9. Measure from the reference line on the floor to the left headlamp bulb centerline (1).
  10. At the screen, measure from the reference line and place the vertical tape at the measured distance  (2).
  11. Measure from the reference line on the floor to the right headlamp bulb centerline.
  12. At the screen, measure from the reference line and place the vertical tape at the measured distance.
  13. Turn the headlamps ON.
  14. Block the light from projecting onto the screen from the passenger side headlamp. This will allow the cutoff in the beam pattern from the drivers side to be more pronounced for easier aim verification.
  15. Important: DO NOT cover the headlamp, this may cause excessive heat build up.

16. On this vehicle you will be verifying the aim of the vertical cutoff on the right side of the lamp vertical bulb centerline as it is projected onto the aim board.
  17. If the location of the cutoff projected onto the board differs from figure 4 then an adjustment to the beam pattern location is necessary.
  18. Adjust the vertical headlamp adjustment screw until the Right Gradient Line (Cutoff Line) is set at the Horizontal Axis within +/- 2.0 inches (2) measured at 7.62 m (25 ft).
  19. Verify proper aim location.
  20. Repeat the aiming procedure for the passengers side headlamp while blocking the light from projecting onto the screen from the drivers side headlamp.

Do you have factory tires and suspension? or have you added a leveling kit? changed rear suspension at all? driving with weight in the bed?

Easy way to tell is to face a flat wall (garage door) from 25 feet away while on level ground. Measure height of headlights above ground. Then go to the wall and measure the height of the cutoff line. If the cutoff line is close to the same height, that's your problem. I think its supposed to be 2" lower.

Everything on the truck is factory. The black line is still present when I have the low beams on with the fog lights off. The black line remains there when I turn the fog and high beams on. Which makes me think that an adjustment for the low beam lights may correct the black line. 

I have attached a picture with a circle around what appears to be the headlamp adjustment screw. Can anyone clarify if this is the correct adjustment screw? Also does adjusting this screw only adjust the low beam headlamps? 

Thanks, 

Dan

F72CF13D-FD83-4A8F-899A-1238F4AB5F2E.jpeg

Edited by dphel27

25 minutes ago, dphel27 said:

Everything on the truck is factory. The black line is still present when I have the low beams on with the fog lights off. The black line remains there when I turn the fog and high beams on. Which makes me think that an adjustment for the low beam lights may correct the black line. 

I have attached a picture with a circle around what appears to be the headlamp adjustment screw. Can anyone clarify if this is the correct adjustment screw? Also does adjusting this screw only adjust the low beam headlamps? 

Thanks, 

Dan

F72CF13D-FD83-4A8F-899A-1238F4AB5F2E.jpeg

That would be the adjuster.  Adjusting the lows will adjust the highs.  Second sentence above in my other post from GM makes note of such. 

Good chance the adjustment can be done under warranty as I see a labor op for it. 

Edited by newdude

21 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

I wish i had that trouble with people pissed off and flashing my awesome headlights. Instead i have a 2014 with headlights that can barley illuminate 10 feet in front of my truck!

I recently got back from a long trip with my new 2018 Sierra.  With the tongue weight of my small trailer, and a bed full of gear, there was probably around 500 lb of weight bringing the rear of the truck down a bit.  I was getting flashed a ton by other drivers at night, especially by truck drivers.  It was very annoying.  Completely unloaded, I find the stock headlight adjustment a little low for my liking, but I have not changed the adjustment.

I get flashed a fair bit in my wife's Mini Countryman as well, with its stock HIDs at the original adjustment level. 

My point is, that even with stock headlights, and factory adjustment, if your vehicle has bright headlights, some drivers are going to be flashing you.

Edited by rkj__

17 hours ago, rkj__ said:

I was getting flashed a ton by other drivers at night, especially by truck drivers.  It was very annoying.

My point is, that even with stock headlights, and factory adjustment, if your vehicle has bright headlights, some drivers are going to be flashing you.

The factory low beams are exactly the same brightness as the high beams if someone is viewing from below the "cutoff line". So if you were annoyed by several people flashing you, imagine how EVERY OTHER driver on the road felt when you were blasting bright light into their eyes.

I know its not worth adjusting your lights for one trip with the trailer, but if you know your lights are pointing up and others are bothered by it, you have no right to complain about getting flashed. I hope you were at least smart enough to leave a large gap when following anyone. I hate when trucks get up behind me with their lights in my mirrors and I can see the shadow of my car in front of me.

Every time I am flashed in my Sierra, I hit them back with my High Beams. :thumbs:

I have also had people in front of me pull over and let me pass or I see them reach up and push their dimming lever on the rear view mirror :loser:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 2:55 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Every time I am flashed in my Sierra, I hit them back with my High Beams. :thumbs:

I have also had people in front of me pull over and let me pass or I see them reach up and push their dimming lever on the rear view mirror :loser:

you're so cool.

FYI, if people are flashing you, its because their eyes are below your cut-off line. So they are already receiving the full force of your headlights,even while you are using your low beams. By flashing the high beams, you are only shooting more light up into the sky. Try standing in front of your truck, with your eyes below the cut-off, while someone else flashes you. 

Update:

I dropped my truck into the dealer this morning to have him look at the void line in the headlights. I followed up with the dealership and the service manger told me the headlights were adjusted perfectly. He also said that he test drove a couple other 19 Chevys in the dark this morning and they all had the same void line as mine. The dealer is waiting to hear back from Chevy. I'm sure they will say it's normal just like the stress marks on my door panels that look like dents. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help