Best Tonneau for under $1,000

For my new '18 Sierra SLT Crew Short Box.  Previous truck was (well, selling it now) and 2nd Gen Escalade EXT.  Prior to that was a 1st Gen Avalanche.  Both have the three piece hard covers that I adore but no one has copied the design. :(

Absolute requirements:
- No vinyl covers of any type
- MUST BE WATERPROOF.  Bed on my Escalade stays bone dry 24x7; I want that trend to continue
- Load rated to walk on is a plus but not required
- Quality
Full bed access when open

I'm okay with a canister roll up (though fear the bed space it takes), tri-fold or something else I haven't seen yet.  I've read too many quality issues with Bakflip to consider them.

There are no 100% waterproof bed covers.  The bed of the truck is not waterproof - would not make sense to design a truck bed that turns into a pool every time it rains.

Gator covers are good quality.  Look into purchasing a tailgate seal as well, you will need it.

Well good luck finding a 100% leak free cover. I don’t have any recommendations for you as I’m a roll up fan but you might want to look at the Rail Caps stake pocket hole covers to help keep out the water/snow that will enter though the pockets. Also I’d pay the extra for the originals not the knock offs now being sold on FleaBay and Amazon as I’ve seen many reports they don’t fix worth a sh!t.

I know how you feel...I had a 2011 Avalanche and the covers worked great. When i bought by 2015 Sierra I got an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and like it so much I took it with me to my 2017 Silverado. It's about 80% leak free, but it is a Tri-Fold, so it does not completely open, the last panel stays in place. The best part is that it literally takes 5 minutes to take it off and put it on.

If these aren't leak free, where do they leak?  I get that the bed itself isn't sealed...it isn't on the EXT / Avalanche either...GM designed drains into the bed floor on them.  But when it rains, is pressure washed, etc, the best stays dry.  That's what I'm used to.  When we take long trips, I pack everything in the bed and would like to keep things nice and dry.  Never an issue with my last two trucks.

BakFlip Mx4, I am on my 3rd one and really like it for two reasons:

1.  Almost waterproof (except the occasional water drops right where the tail gate is).

2.  You can open AND close the tail gate without opening the cover due to the new gasket design.

I had a BAKFlip F1 on my last truck, and never really had any "leaks."  Hauled cardboard boxes up to my sister-in-law's, in the Bay Area, from San Diego, had a couple spots of rain, boxes were dry when I got there.  I have found some water in the bed after storms, but traveling seemed to do just fine.  Even the bed cover I had on my Ridgeline got some water in the bed, and it's built with seals all the way around.  But I like that it keeps a lot of the dust/dirt out, during the wind storms.

I'm liking the ACI Lomax of everything I've seen thus far.  I don't like how it won't flip up against the cab, but it is easily removable and probably the closest thing to the EXT / Avalanche setup out there.  Anyone use one of these?

52 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'm liking the ACI Lomax of everything I've seen thus far.  I don't like how it won't flip up against the cab, but it is easily removable and probably the closest thing to the EXT / Avalanche setup out there.  Anyone use one of these?

I agree.  I am really happy with my LOMAX.

BackDr.jpg

• Like 1

Below is the spreadsheet I came up with on every folding cover I could find (I decided folding was for me).  Those highlighted in green are my finalists.

In my opinion, anything that requires you to lift the cover before closing the tailgate is a piece of crap.  

Gator = piece of crap.  All of their stuff requires lifting before closing the tailgate.  Why would someone accept that in a cover?    
Extang = why buy that when you can buy a ACI Lomax / WeatherTech Access (same thing).  The Lomax/Access sit lower and reviews have shown they are better built while costing less.
Fold-A-Cover = pricey.  Yes, a GM accessory, but that doesn't make it good.  They sit really high.  Their latching setup is awful

I'm most closely leaning toward an UnderCover Ultra Flex at this point.  I fear the BAK quality.  My real concern is the UnderCover at highway speed.  I want the Lomax/Access, but not folding to the cab really hurts my love for it.  

Tonneau-Spreadsheet.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2018 at 7:26 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Below is the spreadsheet I came up with on every folding cover I could find (I decided folding was for me).  Those highlighted in green are my finalists.

In my opinion, anything that requires you to lift the cover before closing the tailgate is a piece of crap.  

Gator = piece of crap.  All of their stuff requires lifting before closing the tailgate.  Why would someone accept that in a cover?    
Extang = why buy that when you can buy a ACI Lomax / WeatherTech Access (same thing).  The Lomax/Access sit lower and reviews have shown they are better built while costing less.
Fold-A-Cover = pricey.  Yes, a GM accessory, but that doesn't make it good.  They sit really high.  Their latching setup is awful

I'm most closely leaning toward an UnderCover Ultra Flex at this point.  I fear the BAK quality.  My real concern is the UnderCover at highway speed.  I want the Lomax/Access, but not folding to the cab really hurts my love for it.  

Tonneau-Spreadsheet.jpg

This is very impressive! Lovin' the research! Judging by your signature block, it looks like you got the UnderCover Ultra Flex. How's that working out? Thumbs up...thumbs down?

On 10/23/2018 at 9:39 PM, DougFL said:

I agree.  I am really happy with my LOMAX.

BackDr.jpg

Beautiful truck. I'm looking forward to the end of my lease. I love the new front and rear ends on the Silvy and their angular lines. I'm tempted to say I like the lines better on the Silverado than the Sierra.

• Like 2