DIY Carport / Garage

Hi all, looking for anyone who has experience with metal or canvas single vehicle carport / garage.

Any brands to stay away from or recommendations?

I would like to get my 20 foot long truck out of the weather. I am looking for something that will hold up  to hail, snow, rain, sun, etc. 

I live in an area where we average 100 inches of snow in the winter, sun is intense at high elevation in the summer, we receive occasional hail storms usually brief and pea size, But every 5 to 10 years we can get it large nickel to quarter size hail.

Hi all, looking for anyone who has experience with metal or canvas single vehicle carport / garage.

Any brands to stay away from or recommendations?

I would like to get my 20 foot long truck out of the weather. I am looking for something that will hold up  to hail, snow, rain, sun, etc. 

I live in an area where we average 100 inches of snow in the winter, sun is intense at high elevation in the summer, we receive occasional hail storms usually brief and pea size, But every 5 to 10 years we can get it large nickel to quarter size hail.

Check with your HOA on what you can have installed, some require to match the construction of your home. If no HOA, lots of metal building manufacturers out there, just google metal buildings or have a large garage built, man cave lol. Just remember, carports are not wise in snow country, you’ll need a steep, high peak roof line which gives much greater strength as its allowing gravity to pull the snow off. I’ve seen in Colorad, some folks have heated metal roofs, something I’d jump on myself if I was living in snow country. Good luck [emoji106][emoji2532]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don't have an answer for your question but have an idea to add to the mix.   Several years ago I had the space and need for a garage type structure.  I looked at several prefab or temporary type enclosures.  My wife was working in the trades department of our local college and shared our concerns in water-cooler style chat.  Days later we had a crew of student carpenters under the direction of a master builder construct a solid permanent structure for the cost of materials and a donation.  

Edited by Donstar

Hey all,

I'm in the city, no HOA :thumbs:. The most cost effective is a carport or metal garage. A carport would at least offer some protection but I would be much happier with a garage even if its a single just for the truck. 

I've seen some canvas fully enclosed structures online, the price is appealing but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing snow was piling up although it is supposed to shed most of it by sliding off. They say can stand up to some hail but I bet large enough it would blow right through.

Wood structure is preferred but also costs the most.

Edited by 2009GMC

I put one of these up with two labor helpers this was used the cost was $3,500. It's 30 by 100 and 1 inch hail bounced off of it like a trampoline. I'm under a walnut tree and walnuts bounce right off of it as well snow slides off and the fabric has about a 15-year to 20 year life span. I don't have a Joe a in this neighborhood. So I can pretty much do what I want which is a good option to have.

Brand new this thing costs about $10,000 and it comes complete with everything you need to assemble it.

Just my two cents. You can also find much smaller units with very capable covering that would work real well, and they are easily disassembled and moved if need be.

This unit was called clearspan and some competitors are called coverall.

Costco also sell something with clear plastic windows in it for about $300 for $100 but only expect about 3 years out of it you can always replace the cover as the framework stays pretty strong

20180922_185318.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Donstar said:

I don't have an answer for your question but have an idea to add to the mix.   Several years ago I had the space and need for a garage type structure.  I looked at several prefab or temporary type enclosures.  My wife was working in the trades department of our local college and shared our concerns in water-cooler style chat.  Days later we had a crew of student carpenters under the direction of a master builder construct a solid permanent structure for the cost of materials and a donation.  

Sounds like a great deal!

I don't think a carport with a canvas/tarp on it would hold up to much snow (outside of the Quonset hut style shown above), you would really want metal.  My local craigslist has a lot of these DIY kits out there for only a few thousand bucks.

There's a company that builds steel buildings for pretty cheap on craigslist, they can build over dirt, gravel, concrete, or anything.  They advertise it as <$5k built on site, which seems like a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

We have 2 of these from Harbor freight that have been up for 3 years. 2 Winters.  I got universal side kits with a zipper door front off amazon.  Both have held up well.  No signs of deterioration as of yet.  Ours our just sitting up with the ropes holding it down.  https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-20-ft-portable-car-canopy-62858.html

To upgrade them I would lay a 2x8 treated wood frame on the ground first. Anchor the legs to it, then use ratchet straps instead of the nylon rope they come with to hold it tight to the ground.  Ours are full of garden tractors.  As long as the roof cover is tight, most moderate snow slides right off.  If not you can just go inside and push up with a broom or something.  They have taken a few wind storms and come out still standing.  

• 1 month later...

Ill have to go back and look but I built a 26 deep 20 garage out of 2x4 and put 3 tab shingles and vinyl siding on it with a concrete floor.  Ended up finding a 14x7 garage door for free.  I think the most expensive part was the trusses which I used 3/12 26ft common trusses which was in the $900 range but im pretty certain that im not it to it near some of these prices

• Like 1

We have a 20x12x8 Shelter Logic Instant Garage (Garage in a Box), that we use to store our Pop Up Camper. It gets the job done, but does need to be re-skinned every 3 years.....it has full sun / snow exposure.....cost $279 on sale probably 8 years ago. If I were to store a car / truck, I'd go steel, or build an actual garage

Edited by Beer Belly
  • Like 1