Service Power Steering and Service ESC

4 hours ago, brendon444 said:

I live in Canada and the process is a lot harder than the US from what i have read. 

Ahh, man that's unfortunate. I just looked into it a little bit and it does seem quite a bit harder and tend not to go in favor of the consumer. If they do it on a contingency basis and nothing comes out of your pocket it still may be worth a try.

I just bought a brand new 2019 Silverado 1500. 1,749 miles on the odometer as of today and this happened to me after I was grocery shopping for about 30 min. After starting my truck to leave the two warnings were displayed and I didn't have any power steering. After reading your posts, I shutoff my engine, waited about 10 minutes, and tried again. The problem went away and I was able to drive it home just fine. I'll be submitting a service call with my dealer now. 

This just happend this evening to my 2020 HC 6.2.  All the same warnings with speed limited to 43 mph.  It happened after driving on the interstate, we pulled into a gas station and when we started it to go, all the warnings popped up. I drove for awhile then stopped and left it for a few minutes and it started with a few less warnings and eventually settled with just the CEL. My truck only has 750 miles...

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

Edited by AEmedic

Not the experience I expected... The advisor said that all they had to do was reset it and that there were no codes. I don’t believe that, all the warnings were up and the CEL was on when I dropped it off. They said, bring it back if/when it happens again...

On 10/16/2019 at 5:43 AM, GMC_NJ said:

The same exact thing happened to me yesterday. I have a 2019 GMC Sierra with 5800 miles and was shocked that this happened. I was about a mile before getting in the highway when my automatic start kicked on and the lights on my dash flickered as I pressed the gas. I was going about 35 mph when the dash displayed “Service ESC,” Service Trailer Brake,” “Brake System Failure,” and “Steering Assist Reduced” drive no faster than 62 mph. Luckily I rolled the car into an empty office parking area but had no power steering and basically stood in the brakes to come to a slow roll making me hit the parking brake button to stop the truck. Turn the car on and off about 3 times with no luck. So I turned the car off, went on the internet and read all these posts. By the time I was done reading (about 6 minutes) I heard a clunk on the front of my dash, started the car and all the lights on my dash disappeared. I drove the truck home without any issue but will be taking it into the dealer today. Thanks to all for your posts - it helped me immensely sort things out and a very scary situation. They need to place a recall on this ASAP!

I noticed you said that when your automatic start kicked in is when things went haywire.  I am curious if the other people that have had this same issue happen also leave the start/stop enabled?  I have about 18,000 km on my 19 and have not had any of these issues, yet, but i also turn off the auto stop/start each time i drive it.

• 2 months later...

I have the 2019 Silverado crew cab “new body”.  I wanted to write here to see if anyone on here can help me out.  I just installed a 6” Rough Country lift on my truck.  After this lift was installed for some weird reason I am having a squeeky noise at my steering wheel every time I turn.  I am not sure what is causing this to happen.

I already aligned the truck so I doubt its an alignment issue.  I took it to my Chevy dealership and they basically said since I lifted the truck that they really cant do much “they didnt even check it”.  This kind of sucks that they cant help me.  Ive talked to 2 different people on Youtube and they both have the 2019 Silverado Trail Boss.  They are both saying the same thing as me that they are having a squeeky noise every time they turn their steering wheel.  If anyone knows what could be causing this issue please let me know.  Thank you!!

Just experienced this same exact issue on my 2020 LTZ 4x4 CC Silverado. 2700 miles on the truck. I was in the gym for about an hour or so came out and was greeted with the "Service Power Steering Drive With Care" & "Service ESC" warnings. Had no power steering. Called roadside assistance, and while waiting for the tow truck, I cranked it again it the messages were gone and I had power steering. I immediately took the truck to the dealership. They looked at it this morning first thing, and scanned for codes in the "history" -- turns out I have a bad power steering system. To make things even worse, this part is on backorder. They are working w/ GM to try to get it expedited. We will see what happens and I'll be sure to post updates. Just super disappointed my brand new truck is already having a major issue... hopefully this is not signs of things to come...

• 5 months later...

Just had this issue. esc light and power streering light.. I am sales manager at a Hyundai dealership across the street from our chevy dealership. Here are the fault codes that came on.uo100 losT comm with engine control module, uo 101 lost comm with transmission control module, u0102 lost comm with transfer case control module, u0121lost comm with electronic brake control module, u0131 lost comm with power steering control module, uo140 lost comm with body control module, u0146 lost comm with serial data gateway module, uo151 lost comm with inflatable restraint sensing and diag module,  u0403 invalid data received from transfer case module, uo422 invalid data received from body control module. 

So went to pull out of parking spot, couldnt turn the wheel. shut it down and started it back up.. same thing. Had chevy service advisor i know come look. he started it up and it was fine (of course) and pulled it into the chevy shop. these are the codes that were thrown... will keep posted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well it happened to me....2021 Silverado LTZ with 1000 miles. Same as other, went to store and came out 20 minutes later and I could drive the truck due to hard wheel. I shut it off and on a few times hoping it would reset and it didn't work. I had to get someone to pick me up as this was new years eve. After reading about it I went back the next day and the problem was gone.  I am so pissed that a problem that has been around for years still pops up on a new vehicle. I dealt with the hard shift 8 speed trans on a 2016 Sierra for years and now this. I'll call the dealer Monday but I am done with GM trucks. BTW, the seats in this truck are as hard as a wood bench. I thought the LTZ would be something special and it's plain jane. Oh, and on the way home today I lost the Satellite radio. It was working and then it wasn't. No stations at all. FM worked fine. Got home, shut it off for a while and the satellite was back.  

• 1 month later...

I just had this problem with mine - 2020 Denali ultimate. My car alarm went off after lunch today while it was in my driveway. I got a theft deterrent system email. I went out started it up and all the messages started popping up. I hadn't driven it since last night. 

• 1 month later...

My Yukon had this problem.  Service Stabilitrak, check engine, trailer brake disabled... and many other messages which would repeat over and over. DingDingDings to boot! Speedometer and Tach would fluctuate wildly. Transmission would lockup in whatever gear you were currently in. Letting it sit for awhile (sometimes overnight) and/or removing the battery cable for 1 minute would eventually/sometimes reset the engine and it would run fine! This happened several times. We were lucky to limp into a dealership for diagnostics, but not a safe experience. Took it to 3 dealers and none could replicate the problem.  Finally 4th dealer kept the car for a week and finally determined it was an intermittent TCM (Lost Communication) error. The new TCM fixed the problem and it has worked flawlessly for over a year now. I am perplexed that it was not easily diagnosed.