Just my opinion

First GM says that they are going to close plants in America and keep plants in other countries open. Then they announce that they are killing off several sedans and then they introduce the new butt ugly Silverado HD. I think that all of this combined is going to hurt sales. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck but I am almost embarrassed to own it with all of the discussion at work about how GM is selling out on America after they took bailout money from all of us Americans and then turn around and close American plants.

• Thanks 1

Politics focuses on whether car companies have factories in America, and Wall Street focuses on if the next 3-6 months is going earn a profit. I am not surprised that somewhere in that mix listening to the customer, responding to their issues, and standing behind their products gets lost. It's just not what they are rewarded/punished for. I bet GM didn't stop producing good sedans in America, they just stopped producing sedans that hardly anyone in America wanted to buy. If they produced a sedan that people want to buy, they could "afford" to make it in America (like BMW in S.C.) because you can charge more for it. If the demand is only mediocre, then you better produce it somewhere cheap, and cut out all customer support after the sale, so you can a least make/keep a little profit. I think GM needs better designers and engineers (expensive), not to be pressured into producing mediocre products with American workers. But that's just my opinion. I wish my 1500 was made in Detroit instead of Mexico, but I wish more that it didn't shake and shift like shit.     

• Like 2

Politics focuses on whether car companies have factories in America, and Wall Street focuses on if the next 3-6 months is going earn a profit. I am not surprised that somewhere in that mix listening to the customer, responding to their issues, and standing behind their products gets lost. It's just not what they are rewarded/punished for. I bet GM didn't stop producing good sedans in America, they just stopped producing sedans that hardly anyone in America wanted to buy. If they produced a sedan that people want to buy, they could "afford" to make it in America (like BMW in S.C.) because you can charge more for it. If the demand is only mediocre, then you better produce it somewhere cheap, and cut out all customer support after the sale, so you can a least make/keep a little profit. I think GM needs better designers and engineers (expensive), not to be pressured into producing mediocre products with American workers. But that's just my opinion. I wish my 1500 was made in Detroit instead of Mexico, but I wish more that it didn't shake and shift like shit.     
I just bought a 2018 Sierra. I don't know where it was made. Where on the truck does it tell where it was made?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, ammoaddict said:

I just bought a 2018 Sierra. I don't know where it was made. Where on the truck does it tell where it was made?

Look on your Monroney sticker and it will tell the country of assembly and parts content. Crew cabs are built in Mexico and double cabs are built in Fort Wayne.

7 minutes ago, ammoaddict said:

Just look at the first digit in the VIN.

1 is US

2 is Canada

3 is Mexico

**Note: I hope this doesn't trigger another Mexican build quality rant, I am more then happy with my Mexican CC' ... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ftwhite said:

Wall Street focuses on if the next 3-6 months is going earn a profit. I am not surprised that somewhere in that mix listening to the customer, responding to their issues, and standing behind their products gets lost.

Mary Barra only cares about that first 14 word sentence. She could care less what we want in our trucks, or sedans for that matter.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sean3565 said:

First GM says that they are going to close plants in America and keep plants in other countries open. Then they announce that they are killing off several sedans and then they introduce the new butt ugly Silverado HD. I think that all of this combined is going to hurt sales. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck but I am almost embarrassed to own it with all of the discussion at work about how GM is selling out on America after they took bailout money from all of us Americans and then turn around and close American plants.

There is no reason to be embarrassed to own your Sierra.  It is a popular, good looking truck and will continue to be produced in the foreseeable future. "ftwhite" gives a good explanation although I think GM employs some pretty good designers.  Bailout money does not help a struggling business, large or small,  if they keep doing things the same way.  GM is responding to significant global changes in a relatively pro-active manner.  Our local government declared the following yesterday, "All new light-duty cars and trucks sold in British Columbia must be zero-emission by 2040".   Whether we believe it, or agree with it,  traditionally powered personal vehicles are on the chopping block.  Forecasts like 2040 may seem a long time into the future and "minds will change by then" but I'm thinking GM has more intellectual resources on hand than you or I have around tour respective water coolers.

• Like 1

I've nearly always bought GM. A few enormous Chryler mistakes and 1 import.  GM continues to focus on foreign markets while ignoring us, my next truck won't be a GM.  But they've got time since I just bought a 2018. Not only that they need to start selling trucks people want not trying to make people want what they want to sell. 

Don't get me wrong I love my 2018 Silverado, but other brands are offering features and packages I'd rather have in a Silverado.  If it wasn't 15K off I may have looked harder at the rest of the offerings.

• Like 2

GM makes some bad decisions and plays catch up. 

I still like the product but I don't buy new so I'm not helping their bottom line.

And what about Chrysler, didn't Lee Iacocca  borrow money from the gov. and stuff his pockets after turning the company around? 

Why all the rave?

We bailed out banks, mortgage companies etc. and they still gave millions to CEO's after running them into the ground.

You have to accept we are a source of revenue in every aspect from gov. to the local small business. After we pay our taxes they do what ever they please with it, that will not change.

Hell if we stopped giving away billions to other counties we could have great medical insurance as an example.

It is what it is.

I put no stock in any gov., local or other wise.

It's still comes down to taking care of ones self and then paying for the ones that can't or won't.

I think Barra is playing the gov. looking for more tax breaks to come out as a hero to fill her pockets as well as other top officers.

Sorry, touched a nerve.

:)

I'm happy there are people willing to be politicians or senior management.  There is no way to please everyone.  My initial reaction to GM plants being closed was one of upset for the workers and the respective local economies.  I have been laid off twice due to downsizing and can relate to the impact this has on individuals and communities.  I knew at these times that no individual was sitting behind a desk looking for ways to throw my family into poverty. However, I was bitter and liked having a name of a person to blame.  Bad mouthing the individual CEO of a major corporation can bring some comfort but s/he is not the issue.

• Like 2