Boost auto tow mirror light problems.

I realize I also never updated this after I contacted boost auto. They replaced the light and I think I had to pay a little bit to upgrade to their new version for the other side so they would match. The new version seems to work a lot better. I haven’t had any issues since I installed them 9 months ago. 

47 minutes ago, Cash214 said:

If you would like a more DIY solution I can show you how I did mine. I no longer am having any issues with them, they work very well. Mine blink when the clearance lights are off and stay steadily lit when the clearance lights are on. 

We all prefer to do things ourselves !! Id appreciate if you can share your wisdom ?

Thanks!

Here’s a little drawing of the circuit that you’d need to make. You just need to get some rectifier diodes. You can order a bunch on amazon for a few bucks. I think I ordered 100 for $6. They are pretty much like a check valve for electricity, it allows flow in one direction but not the other direction. You can solder them inline with the wire you want to use it on. I forget which diode specifically I used but I think a 1N5819 would work. The way I have it set up, if your clearance lights are off, the signal blinks when you use the blinker. If you have the clearance lights on, the blinker does not make it any brighter, it just stays lit indifferently. I think you can use resistors to change the brightness of the clearance light so the blinker would be brighter but I don’t havnt done it before so I’m not 100% sure. If you wanted to expiriment a little bit, you could get some resistors and try connecting one on the clearance light side. 

9A5E20BF-E724-4666-AEC0-9F724890B31E.jpeg

19 hours ago, Cash214 said:

Here’s a little drawing of the circuit that you’d need to make. You just need to get some rectifier diodes. You can order a bunch on amazon for a few bucks. I think I ordered 100 for $6. They are pretty much like a check valve for electricity, it allows flow in one direction but not the other direction. You can solder them inline with the wire you want to use it on. I forget which diode specifically I used but I think a 1N5819 would work. The way I have it set up, if your clearance lights are off, the signal blinks when you use the blinker. If you have the clearance lights on, the blinker does not make it any brighter, it just stays lit indifferently. I think you can use resistors to change the brightness of the clearance light so the blinker would be brighter but I don’t havnt done it before so I’m not 100% sure. If you wanted to expiriment a little bit, you could get some resistors and try connecting one on the clearance light side. 

9A5E20BF-E724-4666-AEC0-9F724890B31E.jpeg

Just a small question here...: the diodes job is to stop voltage coming from one source or the other right? So when your clearance are on the diode will prevent the signals from working.... working with 2 differents diode... could it be possible to stop the voltage from clearance light when the signals come on? Assuming that during day this conflict won't happen... using a resistor and a diode on clearance and only a diode on the other side (signal), with the right value for each, could get the job done for "dual fonctions"? And also, is the diode needed only on the signal side? 

Thanks

3 hours ago, SierraKodiak said:

Just a small question here...: the diodes job is to stop voltage coming from one source or the other right? So when your clearance are on the diode will prevent the signals from working.... working with 2 differents diode... could it be possible to stop the voltage from clearance light when the signals come on? Assuming that during day this conflict won't happen... using a resistor and a diode on clearance and only a diode on the other side (signal), with the right value for each, could get the job done for "dual fonctions"? And also, is the diode needed only on the signal side? 

Thanks

You need to use diodes on both sides because if you didn't have one on the clearance side, your blinker would backfeed and make your lights on both sides of the truck blink. If you didn't have one on the signal side, at night your blinkers on the corners of the truck wouldn't work. 

"using a resistor and a diode on clearance and only a diode on the other side (signal), with the right value for each, could get the job done for "dual fonctions"?" Yes, that is correct. 

I added a 68 Ohm resistor on each of the clearance wires and it worked well. If you wanted it to be dimmer you could use a bigger resistor but I tried a few and liked the brightness with the 68 Ohm. The video makes it harder to see than it actually is but you can see the change in brightness. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cash214 said:

I added a 68 Ohm resistor on each of the clearance wires and it worked well. If you wanted it to be dimmer you could use a bigger resistor but I tried a few and liked the brightness with the 68 Ohm. The video makes it harder to see than it actually is but you can see the change in brightness. 

So you solder resistor on clearance side, then diode, diode on signal wire tap both wires together to the light wire of the mirror?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, SierraKodiak said:

So you solder resistor on clearance side, then diode, diode on signal wire tap both wires together to the light wire of the mirror?

Thanks

Yes, that is correct.