GMC CAI?

Does anyone know if the gmc cold air intake (link below) is their brand or is it made by a company? I thought I read somewhere they are made by Cold Air Induction Inc. Cold Air Inductions seem to get pretty good reviews (saw a good dyno video with results on youtube).

Starting to think about some of my first mods for my 2018 GMC Denali i just purchased... leaning towards a cold air intake, and the borla s-type exhaust system...I know there is some mixed opinions of if CAI's really work. I originally was looking at the K&N blackhawk, which was much more affordable than the gmc one in the link below. I noticed the gmc has a box around the filter...Any help would be appreciated (also any thoughts on the borla s type exhaust vs. others?) Also if I do the CAI and exhaust do I have to do a "tune"? does that do anything to the warranty? Thanks in advance. 

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/2018/GMC/Sierra 1500/53l-cold-air-intake-system-84089441?categoryId=12001

Any tune can and likely will void the warranty. I have spoken to a friend who owns a GM dealership in length about this. The Diablo tune killed mine. GM can see if it has ever been tuned and typically rejects claims on all tunes. Yes people on Facebook claim otherwise but I am going to believe the flesh and blood owner of a GM dealership that happens to be a friend. 

On the Z28 GM used a K&N CAI however that looks nothing like the K&N on my 2018 Sierra. I am very happy with mine and saw no real difference but it sounds cool. I have seen several cars before and after dyno results. The CAI likely ads 8 hp as stated but it supports other mods. Its a huge improvement if you had a super charger. It is pretty much a requirement if your going to heads, cam, and exhaust at some point. If your going super charger wait as a different one will come with that. 

You do not need a tune for one. I ran the CAI and nothing else for a year with no tune. 

• Like 1

The option CAI for the camaro is the CAI brand as it looks identical without the badging.  The truck design doesnt look like their typical product here is their 2014-2018 product

https://www.coldairinductions.com/shop/cold-air-inductions-products/2014-2018-gm-5-3l-v8-fullsize-trucks-cold-air-intake-black/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, frenchsquared said:

Any tune can and likely will void the warranty. I have spoken to a friend who owns a GM dealership in length about this. The Diablo tune killed mine. GM can see if it has ever been tuned and typically rejects claims on all tunes. Yes people on Facebook claim otherwise but I am going to believe the flesh and blood owner of a GM dealership that happens to be a friend. 

On the Z28 GM used a K&N CAI however that looks nothing like the K&N on my 2018 Sierra. I am very happy with mine and saw no real difference but it sounds cool. I have seen several cars before and after dyno results. The CAI likely ads 8 hp as stated but it supports other mods. Its a huge improvement if you had a super charger. It is pretty much a requirement if your going to heads, cam, and exhaust at some point. If your going super charger wait as a different one will come with that. 

You do not need a tune for one. I ran the CAI and nothing else for a year with no tune. 

On the camaro (not sure about the silverados) when you buy the CAI there is a tune the dealership does.  It is part of the price and warrantied since it is through GM.  I am in agreement with you I dont think it would need one but with their testing they change some parameters with the CAI

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/gen6camaro/intake

Edited by RyanbabZ71
  • Like 1

You don't buy a CAI for the Z28. It comes from the factory with the K&N. Says K&N all over it. I have no idea on the lower model Camaro's. Was just using it as comparison that perhaps GM uses one vender for all CAI.  But I noticed the one your looking at has nothing in common with a K&N. Mentioned that originally. I would have never guessed GM was selling that one.

Edited by frenchsquared

1 minute ago, Black02Silverado said:

Not sure about the earlier year CAI's from GM but for the new 2019 CAI's, they require an adjustment to the tune by the dealer and it is all part of the purchase price when you buy the CAI.

What a rip off... I want a GM tune for mine.  :( 

So no one knows for sure if the gmc CAI accessory is made by Cold Air Inductions? If it is, interesting it's an extra $225!!! Maybe that is because of the tune gm does? or is their CAI better? Guess I'm trying to determine if it's worth the extra cash to use the gmc OEM CAI or not

Edited by jdaddy33

Just now, jdaddy33 said:

So no one knows for sure if the gmc CAI accessory is made by Cold Air Inductions? If it is, interesting it's an extra $625!!! Maybe that is because of the tune gm does? or is their CAI better? Guess I'm trying to determine if it's worth the extra cash to use the gmc OEM CAI or not

No matter what its the GM mark up. Every part down to floor matts and mud flaps has a huge markup. For the CAI it might be worth the $200 extra for the tune and warranty. 

3 minutes ago, frenchsquared said:

No matter what its the GM mark up. Every part down to floor matts and mud flaps has a huge markup. For the CAI it might be worth the $200 extra for the tune and warranty. 

actually it's an extra 225, sorry type... edited above 

I looked at the GM performance CAI for weeks, it was appealing to me. Unfortunately it is prolly built by the cheapest bidder. I ended up going a different route. Make sure to post picture if you end up getting it installed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, frenchsquared said:

There is no tune with the GM intake on these trucks.  If CAI makes it, it's completely different than the one Cai sells so the price comparison isn't apples to apples.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikebtte said:

I looked at the GM performance CAI for weeks, it was appealing to me. Unfortunately it is prolly built by the cheapest bidder. I ended up going a different route. Make sure to post picture if you end up getting it installed.

Interesting, this makes me not want to go with the GM CAI.... what did you end up deciding on?