Radiator brackets/mounts help needed

Hey all. latest recruit here. 

Have been in/around all kinda of garages and shops my whole 40+ years.

Recently I made a bonehead mistake. While swapping a 1991 engine into my 1986, I mixed up the fan shrouds and tossed the wrong ones.

This is irreversible. It got burned up in my trash barrel by mistake. I now have a 1991 shroud that does not fit my 1986.
Every diagram I see shows me this metal panel that bolts to my core support. This is incorrect. My radiator is not tall enough for that.
My fan shroud had the radiator cushion integrated into it, I am almost certain. How is it that none of the online retailers have this??

Is my truck a weird one? It unbolted like factory equipment, though it was kinda cracked and broken. The bolts were still in place. The radiator is a 4 row radiator with a 29" core.
It is not tall enough for a metal top bracket/panel/whatever its called to hold it. Its about 2-3 inches too short.

Im ready to beat my face into the cement. Any ideas guys and gals?

1 hour ago, txab said:

Have you checked lmctruck?

I have. They have that same stamped steel plate.

Mine was a plastic cover that had the saddles and fan shroud made in.

I guess I have to fabricate something. I'm a decent welder but I don't have any fabricating skills nor materials. This truck is turning out to be a bigger and bigger mistake.

Got any junkyards around?  Is the '86 original radiator and shroud?

On my '80, when I replaced the rad. all the replacements were a bit shorter since it had more rows for cooling. Mine had the metal plate on top. I configured a spacer that fit around the top of the rad holding it in place. In turn, that spacer was firmly gripped by that top plate

Edited by txab

9 hours ago, txab said:

Got any junkyards around?  Is the '86 original radiator and shroud?

Every truck in my local JY is missing the radiator and thus, the retainers.

I believe this is an OE 4 row radiator because it has brass tanks. All you get now is plastic tanks. I am pretty sure I'll have to fabricate a mount somehow.

I dread this.

7 hours ago, txab said:

Post a pic of your issue. I may be able give you an idea.

I will. Just don't hold breath while waiting. I have several things to accomplish this weekend. I'll do my best to post it by sunday.

I do appreciate any help.

I finally got off my butt and got the photos taken. Please overlook my first attempt at fabrication. It looks like pure hell. As previously mentioned, I don't have any materials in shop and my fabricating skill is not the best either.

1229181623.jpg

That'll work. Will the shroud go back on?

I fabricated several spacers from super dense styrofoam chunks I had left over from a shipment. Stuff will take a good bit of pressure without crushing. Placed between the new radiator that was shorter yet thicker, and the top plate that ran across the top. Did a bit of shaping so they would fit almost like a glove

Edited by txab
  • Thanks 1