Void 84/100 Platinum Warranty?

I just got a brand new 2018 Sierra SLT 4x4 5.3 and want to install (myself) Borla S-Type cat-back and K&N cold air intake but the dealerships service department said if it’s not dealer installed I will void my 84/100 platinum warranty? 

I just got a brand new 2018 Sierra SLT 4x4 5.3 and want to install (myself) Borla S-Type cat-back and K&N cold air intake but the dealerships service department said if it’s not dealer installed I will void my 84/100 platinum warranty? 

That’s not correct. That’s their diarrhea of the mouth sales talk. Call up and ask the service manager, ask for his name and take note of time and date. If he says the same thing then call another dealership. You cannot be denied warranty on an install based on not having it done there but somewhere else instead. If you do take it somewhere and the installer screws something up well then you’re responsible.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s not correct. That’s their diarrhea of the mouth sales talk. Call up and ask the service manager, ask for his name and take note of time and date. If he says the same thing then call another dealership. You cannot be denied warranty on an install based on not having it done there but somewhere else instead. If you do take it somewhere and the installer screws something up well then you’re responsible.

Sent from above

X2

I’m guessing your talking about an aftermarket warranty or the GM extended warranty.  If that’s the case an exhaust or intake could lead to a denied claim.  Your best bet is to call the ext warranty you have and ask them. Extended warranties can be forgiving if your upfront.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alkrisma said:

If your really worried about it get the GM borla exhaust and GM cold air intake then you won't have anything to worry about.  Otherwise just do it, they would have to prove those mods caused any problem.

It always comes down to lawyers. If you read your contract under Exclusions, section "F", alterations void the contract unless recommended by the manufacturer. Or so it seems. Where does that leave you? I don't know, but I feel it is just a way for them to get out in an extreme condition. These new "GM" warranties are not actually run by GM. They are run by aftermarket warranty and insurance companies. I've never saw a claim rejected for mods in 36 years dealing with aftermarket warranties. Most claims are just called in by a service writer. Big $ claims usually require an adjuster be sent out. Most of the inspectors are pretty good to work with. If it was me, I would put the GM intake and exhaust on and not worry about it. Now a 7" lift may be a whole other matter. As with all contracts, they are written to protect them, not the end user.

I'll say my 2 cents. I had an 2014 Silverado. The dealer itself when the truck was new before it hit the lot installed a 6" lift, the borla exhaust you speak of, painted to match fender flares and 22" wheels. I also installed a k&n oil filter when I changed the oil I was the 2nd owner and only put about 6k miles on it myself bit it was still under factory warranty. I live in PA. This dealer was in Ohio. At 24k miles the engine blew. Naturally I had it towed to a local Chevy dealer. After a few days I was told it cannot be repaired due to the modifications on the truck which by the way were done by a Chevy dealer and cause of the k&n oil filter. I was then informed that they had GM put a warranty block on the truck. So I then had it towed to the actual dealer in Ohio who did all the work. I couldnt get anywhere with GM on my own. That dealer tried and tried and couldnt get the block removed therefore they had no way of doing any repair under the warranty. After sitting there for a month I again had it towed to tje garage who does my inspections back here in pa. Out of my pocket I paid $5200 for a used engine with 17k miles on it plus his labor time. I then had to hire a lawyer to fight GM. I even had to send my K&n oil filter back to them so it can be tested to prove it had No failures. They sent the test video to me and the lawyer as proof it was good. Eventually I got my truck back. The lawyer got the warranty block removed and got my $ back for the engine plus her legal fees. In the end it was a pain. If I would of taken it to the dealer in Ohio to begin with this wouldnt of happened. I traded the truck shortly after since gm wouldnt honor the replacement engine for any warranty on it only rest of truck. The dealer I got it from felt bad and gave me almost what i paid for it on trade. So I upgraded to a used sierra slt allterrain with a 6.2. Which I love. In the end it comes down to the dealer and what they decide to do. If you do decide to have them do the work just be sure they will honor the warranty after the fact.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I'll say my 2 cents. I had an 2014 Silverado. The dealer itself when the truck was new before it hit the lot installed a 6" lift, the borla exhaust you speak of, painted to match fender flares and 22" wheels. I also installed a k&n oil filter when I changed the oil I was the 2nd owner and only put about 6k miles on it myself bit it was still under factory warranty. I live in PA. This dealer was in Ohio. At 24k miles the engine blew. Naturally I had it towed to a local Chevy dealer. After a few days I was told it cannot be repaired due to the modifications on the truck which by the way were done by a Chevy dealer and cause of the k&n oil filter. I was then informed that they had GM put a warranty block on the truck. So I then had it towed to the actual dealer in Ohio who did all the work. I couldnt get anywhere with GM on my own. That dealer tried and tried and couldnt get the block removed therefore they had no way of doing any repair under the warranty. After sitting there for a month I again had it towed to tje garage who does my inspections back here in pa. Out of my pocket I paid $5200 for a used engine with 17k miles on it plus his labor time. I then had to hire a lawyer to fight GM. I even had to send my K&n oil filter back to them so it can be tested to prove it had No failures. They sent the test video to me and the lawyer as proof it was good. Eventually I got my truck back. The lawyer got the warranty block removed and got my $ back for the engine plus her legal fees. In the end it was a pain. If I would of taken it to the dealer in Ohio to begin with this wouldnt of happened. I traded the truck shortly after since gm wouldnt honor the replacement engine for any warranty on it only rest of truck. The dealer I got it from felt bad and gave me almost what i paid for it on trade. So I upgraded to a used sierra slt allterrain with a 6.2. Which I love. In the end it comes down to the dealer and what they decide to do. If you do decide to have them do the work just be sure they will honor the warranty after the fact.

Pic from replacementb921fce86c95dd35f7f0d694f30f798a.jpg

Read the fine print of the warranty your purchased and agreed to.  Extended warranties are more like insurance policies and the Insurer (warrantor) can put in exclusions (and deductibles) as to what they will cover and pay for, so again, read it thoroughly.  Many consumers never read them and come away with the notion that everything is covered when in reality its not and they agreed to it when they made the purchase of the warranty.  

I have a 1 yr extended warranty on my 2018 Polaris RZR and the fine print states the warranty IS VOID if the RZR is modified in any way or if any accessories installed are not Polaris and done by an authorized dealer.  I was aware of this when I purchased the warranty and had no plans to change anything.

Its like what happened to many around here this summer in flash flooding. They soon found out that their loses where not covered by any home owners insurance. Needless to say many had no idea they had to buy special flood insurance and that it was not even offered by any company for this area due to once in 500 yrs chance of flooding. Now they have to apply for FEMA low interest loans and 9 months later, still waiting for decisions.

Edited by elcamino

Did they say what the denial was, or all the above? The only thing mentioned engine related was the oil filter that was found in working order. The lift has nothing to do with the engine. The drag created by the lift is within towing limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk