Blackbear worth another tuner

I know there are a bunch of posts about tuners. I’ve read most of them. None seem to answer my question. I have a superchips tuner for my 2017 z71. To say I’m unimpressed is an understatement. About all it’s good for is removing the v4 crap and a couple things with the trans. I’m wondering if blackbear is drastically better in order to put out $650 on top of the $379 I paid a year ago for superchips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Blackbear was worth the price to me on two different GM trucks now. They made my 2018 1500 LTZ act like a whole new beast. Tighter shifts, better response, more seat of the pants power feel. Left AFM on by choice and don't feel the down side.

I tried a Superchips on my son's L6 Jeep Wrangler. It did nothing, and can't even adjust speedo for tire size right. Need to call them, but just don't have time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Blackbeard is better but at that price HPT all the way. Anything and everything you want. I have seen 2 used hpt pro units go for $300 on Facebook. I will bet good money even blackbeard will admit that the hpt software and support is best. Ask any major well known shop what they use or their opinions on HPT. They will all have that product.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SquattedChevOnBlack said:

@paracutin their site says the v2 can tune 8 speeds 2007 to 2017. 8 and 10 past 17 are not doable.

I did not know they had the 8 speed in 2007? Well GM anyway...could be wrong!

Edited by SS502

Blackbeard is better but at that price HPT all the way. Anything and everything you want. I have seen 2 used hpt pro units go for $300 on Facebook. I will bet good money even blackbeard will admit that the hpt software and support is best. Ask any major well known shop what they use or their opinions on HPT. They will all have that product.

Blackbeard? I’ve never heard of them. Do you have more info? It looks like the hpt is only compatible up to 2016.

2018 8speeds are tunable as far as shops tell me. Blackbear offered, and so did a local performance shop who has done several both with and without a supercharger or turbo mod. I haven't yet, because you need to send in your controller for unlocking, and their engine tune was such a significant step, I just moved on to other mods. 

Blackbeard? I’ve never heard of them. Do you have more info? It looks like the hpt is only compatible up to 2016.

Yes black beard is the cheaper knock off or pirated version of the well known black bear. Hahah stupid autocorrect.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ftwhite said:

2018 8speeds are tunable as far as shops tell me. Blackbear offered, and so did a local performance shop who has done several both with and without a supercharger or turbo mod. I haven't yet, because you need to send in your controller for unlocking, and their engine tune was such a significant step, I just moved on to other mods. 

Just wondering how Blackbear offered to tune your 8 speed? They told me it cant be tuned since they use EFI Live and there is no support... You would have to go with HP Tuners to get it tuned and they dont use that.

Are you saying your trans shifted better since the Engine tune only?  What was different since the tune?

My trans seems to shift fine, my only issue is when doing a "rolling stop" then back on the gas it revs for a second then slams into gear...almost like the trans goes into neutral coming to a stop thenwhen you hit the gas it goes into first.

• Like 1

Just wondering how Blackbear offered to tune your 8 speed? They told me it cant be tuned since they use EFI Live and there is no support... You would have to go with HP Tuners to get it tuned and they dont use that.

Are you saying your trans shifted better since the Engine tune only?  What was different since the tune?

My trans seems to shift fine, my only issue is when doing a "rolling stop" then back on the gas it revs for a second then slams into gear...almost like the trans goes into neutral coming to a stop thenwhen you hit the gas it goes into first.
I thought the same thing when I read it. Many if not all people claim to be tuned when they aren't trans tuned. Hard to know what your really getting. And other changes can make the feel better I can see it is easy for people to assume it was done.
Big reason I like customer owned HPT and then anyone good tuning it.
I just walk through and sent a tune out of the country to a guy. He was a newbie but now is running 12psi boost and happy. His "GREAT" tuner didn't change the map sensor, fuel profiles,torque management, ect....
He copied paste my file and wrote it. Wrote back super happy and said it was amazing.
He was going to just give up but know has the ability and knowledge to change himself. Cant ask for more than that. Out of a product. On HPT forums 6 other people offered files and remote tune also. My file was better faster and free. But point it 24/7 community support.

Oh and the rolling stop trans shift is a easy fix also I have more than 6 (i like) trans profiles. Under trans there is rpm,pressure, command, afm/dod,dfco,ect.... many reasons and ways to change.

48 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

I thought the same thing when I read it. Many if not all people claim to be tuned when they aren't trans tuned. Hard to know what your really getting. And other changes can make the feel better I can see it is easy for people to assume it was done.
Big reason I like customer owned HPT and then anyone good tuning it.
I just walk through and sent a tune out of the country to a guy. He was a newbie but now is running 12psi boost and happy. His "GREAT" tuner didn't change the map sensor, fuel profiles,torque management, ect....
He copied paste my file and wrote it. Wrote back super happy and said it was amazing.
He was going to just give up but know has the ability and knowledge to change himself. Cant ask for more than that. Out of a product. On HPT forums 6 other people offered files and remote tune also. My file was better faster and free. But point it 24/7 community support.

Oh and the rolling stop trans shift is a easy fix also I have more than 6 (i like) trans profiles. Under trans there is rpm,pressure, command, afm/dod,dfco,ect.... many reasons and ways to change.

I often think about doing it myself , just getting HPT and figuring it out on my own/ with  help from other tuners like yourself, but HPT is another $600 or so... I already have the Autocal from my 2011 that Blackbear tuned..

I would love to learn how to tune my own stuff , I also have a ZL1 I would be able to tube then as well,  but I also dont want to screw up my truck....lol

What is the deal with the rolling stop trans shift? What in the factory tune is causing it any why did GM do it??

I often think about doing it myself , just getting HPT and figuring it out on my own/ with  help from other tuners like yourself, but HPT is another $600 or so... I already have the Autocal from my 2011 that Blackbear tuned..

I would love to learn how to tune my own stuff , I also have a ZL1 I would be able to tube then as well,  but I also dont want to screw up my truck....lol

What is the deal with the rolling stop trans shift? What in the factory tune is causing it any why did GM do it??
$600 is new price I see used ones all the time for $300-450. But even at 600 with credits you can tune 2 or 3 vehicles. And then $50 a credit the sky is the limit. There is a LOT left in both these vehicles. On the ZL1 there are posted files that are free. Copy and write drive and enjoy.
The truck is a few things but yes GM did this. Between v4 fuel cut. TM is the most misunderstood part of the truck. Fact is you push the pedal and the computer says no 100% throttle in fact you will never get 100 and then there is slip and shift command. Back in the day it was just rpm. Now engine load and user input demand. But all this is bases on torque tables. So if it sees 40% throttle and it thinks that is 300lbtq but your truck really is 1000lbtq then computer stops throttle by reducing that tells the trans to see less input and down shift, when you want the opposite. There is more tuning in the trans and torque tables than fuel.
On say a factory truck just a trans tune and torque management takes that listed power they claim and puts it to the ground. Again issue with dyno is people just look for the peak number not realizing that that is a only a X gear pull no shift and then you look at the graph and where you really get it at. Also on the roller there isn't any traction issues. Smoke and mirrors in power numbers.

Ok, so I looked back at the offer from BB on 2018 trans tune. I was wrong. What they offer to do is tune a 2018 8speed by swapping the TCU from a 2016. You need to provide the 2016 8speed TCU. They set it up for your truck. $50.
I have no insight as to what might get lost from the 2018 TCU, but if you dislike the factory program, it is a option to get something different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk