Leveled HD pulling 5th wheel

I have a 19 GMC Sierra CC 4x4 HD. It has the All Terrain package. I've always leveled my previous trucks, but we recently purchased a 5th wheel. My concern is being nose high after leveling and hooking up to the 5th wheel.

Is anyone running a leveled truck and also pulling a 5th wheel?15c900ff22a06d52a18e5662248820c9.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

My truck is leveled. i have a bumper pull trailer but it is very heavy ( about 1300lbs on the hitch) . I don't like nose high either. Air bags is my answer. Fairly cheap if you just get plain ones (no compressor) and install yourself. I wouldn't level a 3/4 ton without them if planning to pull. But do not hook them up together, keep them separated so they can't transfer from side to side on sidehills is what I have been told. 

My truck is leveled. i have a bumper pull trailer but it is very heavy ( about 1300lbs on the hitch) . I don't like nose high either. Air bags is my answer. Fairly cheap if you just get plain ones (no compressor) and install yourself. I wouldn't level a 3/4 ton without them if planning to pull. But do not hook them up together, keep them separated so they can't transfer from side to side on sidehills is what I have been told. 
Do you fill the bags at home before leaving?

IMG_1721_zps5ubaouzp.jpg

Ok well I am leveled with a 2.25" keys in the front and a 2" block in the back with the front turned up.  Year one was great, loaded up I sat nice and level.  However after a few heavy trailer hauls and loads in the truck I noticed that this year my rear is sagging a bit more with the sleds on, almost giving it the nose up look.  My best guess is that the springs have settled in the rear some, so I will probably just turn the front keys down a little more.  So my suggestion if you want a little more height is put the blocks in the rear and just keep a minimal rake when unloaded and hopefully it will sit fairly level with weight in the box.  

• Like 2

The best option for towing with a leveled truck is air bags. They'll keep the back from sagging any more than you want it to. The cheaper option would be to split the difference on the front lift/level. Most new HD's have around 3" of rake from the factory, but it takes a lot of weight to squat them more than 1.5" when loaded. So, you could raise the front around 1.5" and still have a little bit of rake for towing. That's what I chose to do with my truck. 

• Like 1

On January 25, 2019 at 5:52 AM, WillDiet said:

Do you fill the bags at home before leaving?

Yes I do when pulling the camping trailer or leaving home pulling something else heavy. Usually about 50 to 55 psi is enough to bring the back end back up. I also have a little portable air tank i carry if I am taking a flatbed trailer to go pick something up like a skid steer or tractor. That way I can fill them when the truck is loaded. It doesn't take a lot of air. 

• Like 1

There is a reason GM builds them with rake instead of making them look like a sorry assed ferd.

sorry, couldn't resist

I realize there are lots that don't often tow, and I don't often carry weight in the back.

(like me)

Basically could have bought a jeep. 

Real trucks have rake!

Let the discussion begin!

:rolleyes::lol::thumbs:

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

Ha ha. In my case it wasn't about the rake. It is about being scared to drive over a curb or anything near that height because the air dam almost touches the ground (a little exaggerated but not far off). All these new trucks sit so low I just wanted a little more clearance for ruts, snow etc. without removing or cutting the air dam. Then to counter act the "leveling" I had to put air bags in......

Edited by Dirtbiker
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
The best option for towing with a leveled truck is air bags. They'll keep the back from sagging any more than you want it to. The cheaper option would be to split the difference on the front lift/level. Most new HD's have around 3" of rake from the factory, but it takes a lot of weight to squat them more than 1.5" when loaded. So, you could raise the front around 1.5" and still have a little bit of rake for towing. That's what I chose to do with my truck. 
@bigwhiskey how many turns did you give the torsion keys?

I'm not leveled but did put a set of Timbrens in my 2500.  They work great and keep the rear from sagging with a heavier load.  Take about 5 minutes to install and much cheaper than airbags.  Not a fix for everyone but if looking for some extra load carrying capacity they work great.  Rides great empty as well.

• Like 1

I've got a 3500Hd and pull a 8 ton 5'er. My truck is "raked" with no load because the helper springs don't come into play.   I don't know if that's the same as a 2500. With the 5'er attached the bed is level and the trailer is ever so slightly downhill to the rear.  Of course you can adjust the height on your 5th wheel hitch to level your 5'er when you tow.  I think that's what I would worry about.