AFM Lifter failure cause

CDNSS

Good read. All the more reason to use the proper oil and change frequently in AFM. Motors. Plus clean the screen 

im on my 3 rd afm LS motor never an issue and my trucks tow heavy loads always ck that screen at about 60k 

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2019/02/melling-tech-tips-for-gm-ls-lifter-issues/

• Like 3

Depends on how clean your oil has been but typically 1/3rd plugged I had one that the oil pressure gauge started to read low checked the screen and it was pretty much plugged just removed screen that time oil pressure back to normal. That truck still around will no screen ??

13 hours ago, CDNSS said:

Depends on how clean your oil has been but typically 1/3rd plugged I had one that the oil pressure gauge started to read low checked the screen and it was pretty much plugged just removed screen that time oil pressure back to normal. That truck still around will no screen ??

What oil and filter you using?

How often changing oil and filter?

:)

It appears you have to remove the intake manifold to access that screen?? Never knew it existed.  I've been running a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug and Full 0-20 Syn oil since after my 2nd free oil change.  I change the oil when the meter has about 25% remaining.  Used to run M1 filter but the word is they have changed and dropped quality so I have been running WIX/Napa gold filters for the past few years. 

16 hours ago, DenaliX14 said:

Great video on AFM and some tips. 

6 hours ago, FL335i said:

It appears you have to remove the intake manifold to access that screen?? Never knew it existed.  I've been running a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug and Full 0-20 Syn oil since after my 2nd free oil change.  I change the oil when the meter has about 25% remaining.  Used to run M1 filter but the word is they have changed and dropped quality so I have been running WIX/Napa gold filters for the past few years. 

Yeah you do have to remove the intake manifold ?

I only check the filter under the oil pressure sending unit at back of engine you can clean it or replace it GM pn was 12585328 for my old 5.3 

DO NOT have to remove intake to do this. There are more very small DOD filters in the VLOM. Tray under the intake that should be clean “if” you change lifters so yes you need to remove intake to do that  but imo if the filter under sending unit stays clean you should be ok 

Bottom line theses filters and sensors may be the problem not the lifters

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CDNSS said:

I only check the filter under the oil pressure sending unit at back of engine you can clean it or replace it GM pn was 12585328 for my old 5.3 

DO NOT have to remove intake to do this. There are more very small DOD filters in the VLOM. Tray under the intake that should be clean “if” you change lifters so yes you need to remove intake to do that  but imo if the filter under sending unit stays clean you should be ok 

Bottom line theses filters and sensors may be the problem not the lifters

Do you have any pictures? I am pretty ignorant on these filters and my guess is a lot of others may not know either. I based my intake removal comments based on the video, was not aware of the filter you’re speaking of on the newer 5.3/6.2 engines.

2 hours ago, CDNSS said:

This tipically only an issue on high mileage engines and or infrequent oil changes 

Good video...Another reason why seemingly everybody in here does not BG-EPR their gdi engines and they should.  You will absolutely keep the screens clean...and not have lifter problems.  I digress