2014-2016 Brake Recall Soon? - Vacuum Pump Failure

Sounds like the hard / stiff brake pedal issue caused by the vacuum assist pump is headed closer to a recall. Almost 500 official complaints to NHTSA so far. They are rolling in 1 to 2 complaints a day.

Check out this letter to GM

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2018/INIM-PE18012-74378.pdf

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

So what would that cost? 2.7 million trucks/vacuum pumps x $600? That's like $1.6 billion?

Once the lawyers get involved, a recall is more likely to be issued if there has been property damage and/or personal injury as a result of the failures. My guess is that if it does turn into a recall, it will be an “inspection” and replace only if conditions a, b and c are met. 

I doubt it would $600 per vehicle. GM probably buys those pumps for maybe $50 a pop and maybe 2 hours of warranty labor rate. 

• Like 1

Just now, paumat said:

Once the lawyers get involved, a recall is more likely to be issued if there has been property damage and/or personal injury as a result of the failures. My guess is that if it does turn into a recall, it will be an “inspection” and replace only if conditions a, b and c are met. 

I doubt it would $600 per vehicle. GM probably buys those pumps for maybe $50 a pop and maybe 2 hours of warranty labor rate. 

Replaced mine about 6 months ago. A mechanic friend did it for $300. GMC dealer wanted $900, Chevy dealer wanted $850. It’s not a good feeling having to grab the steering wheel and use both feet to brake. They were going to charge for 6 hours of labor. My buddy did it in under an hour. 

4 minutes ago, Yert1369 said:

Replaced mine about 6 months ago. A mechanic friend did it for $300. GMC dealer wanted $900, Chevy dealer wanted $850. It’s not a good feeling having to grab the steering wheel and use both feet to brake. They were going to charge for 6 hours of labor. My buddy did it in under an hour. 

If a recall comes, you’d be reimbursed if you have receipts, I think.

my point was that in a recall, Gm is paying for it, so the cost to them would be whatever the pump costs them plus an hour or two of the warranty labor rate, not the normal $125/hr or whatever their going rate is for service work. I don’t know, maybe $150 per vehicle for their cost. Still a ton of money over millions of trucks. Good thing trucks are their highest profit margin vehicles. 

• Like 1

I think the tsb for this issue says it pays 2.8 hours plus the cost of the pump for the warranty replacements like mine.

If the did do an inspection they would have to check the vacuum on each pump and make sure no engine oil went through the vacuum pump into the rest of the brake system.

Mine was replaced under warranty but I feel for the people that had to pay out of pocket. Hopefully you will get reimbursed.

5 minutes ago, paumat said:

If a recall comes, you’d be reimbursed if you have receipts, I think.

my point was that in a recall, Gm is paying for it, so the cost to them would be whatever the pump costs them plus an hour or two of the warranty labor rate, not the normal $125/hr or whatever their going rate is for service work. I don’t know, maybe $150 per vehicle for their cost. Still a ton of money over millions of trucks. Good thing trucks are their highest profit margin vehicles. 

I gotcha. It wouldn’t need the pump at all if it didn’t have AFM. I considered removing the pump and plumbing a vacuum line to the intake manifold. I run a Diablo Sprint module to keep it off. Once my power train runs out I’m gonna do the complete delete of it. New cam and all. I get the same highway mpg and better in town mpg without all of the crappy shifts, hesitation on acceleration, and horrible exhaust noises. 

Pretty sure they would reimburse me. They covered 400 of my condenser even though I didn’t have it done at the dealer. That’s a whole nother story that gets my BP up though. 

The pump itself is $130   Also factor in a new serpentine belt.

Members here have replaced themselves in about 2 hours.

Not a horrible job, but just tough to gain access to a couple of bolts fairly hidden.

What manufacturer would want to lose tons of money on something they can avoid?

Remember the faulty Key Switches on certain GM cars? Guess the lesson was not learned.

Nice so gm wants me to have brake failure while driving before they would fix a item that is going to be listed as a recall? Hope they won't mind paying for the lawsuit that i would be bringing if that were to happen.
There have already been lawsuits. This usually only happens at low speeds so it greatly reduces risk of injury or crashes than if brakes were failing at high speed.

12 hours ago, reardiff said:

Was this issue fixed for 2017 and 2018's?  

Maybe but I know I have to be extremely careful when I take off behind another car. I was in the bank ATM drive through and the guy ahead of me started to go, I barely pushed the gas pedal and he decided to stop. I hit my brakes and the truck was hard to stop, almost like the gas pedal response was still in the go mode before it had the chance to react to my input of taking my foot off the gas to apply the brakes...I am a one footed gas/brake guy. Either way I can duplicate it any time I want but I've just chalked it up to the trucks behavior. I think it could just be gas pedal response, not like my Chevelle where I can tap the gas and it revs up and right back down, the truck is lazy if I try that.