Total Steering Loss

Hello everyone this is my first post. I drive a 2005 Sierra Denali with 170K miles the vehicle is stock. Today while taking a turn at an intersection I experienced TOTAL STEERING LOSS and ended up in a snowbank! No injuries or damages to the vehicle, besides my ego and eventually my wallet. The  steering wheel completely disconnected from the wheels and drive train.  After doing a small amount of research I believe this is a fairly rare occurrence. I am very surprised that this could occur under normal driving conditions.   Anyone else experience this of have heard of a similar situation?

If it is disconnected there had to be something really bad that would/should have been found during a normal inspection. What state do you live in? Was it inspected by a reputable person?

If you tried to go around a corner on ice and the truck did not turn you need to change your underwear and reconnect your brain. :-)

Edited by NHUSA

I live in Massachusetts so I guess I am a Masshole. I had my truck inspected last May. The vehicle has been had zero issues and gave no warning before the failure. The steering wheel was spinning completely free no feedback or connection at all. The shop just called to tell me the  pitman arm was what failed. So I am getting that replaced as well as a few tie rods and an alignment. $800.00 My days of working on my own vehicles under a shady tree are long gone.  

I am happy that you are being realistic about the Mass thing.

I got out many years ago but now work in N. Billerica.

At 74 YO, I certainly understand not wanting to crawl under a vehicle anymore - especially in the winter.

At least we can blame the Mass-pot-holes and not the truck!

Good that no one got hurt and the truck is OK - drive on.

PS did you change your underwear?