I am really surprised that I never see anyone post about using a blend of E85 and regular to make a E30 blend which has 93-94 octane and using that in the 6.2.  A 1 to 4 ratio of E85 and E10 will make roughly E30.  More like E25 in the winter months.  Many in the performance car community do this.  And the resulting cost is less than using regular alone.   Many in the performance car community have figured out that many of the more hot rod engines will not throw a code for ethanol blends of 30% or less. They are designed for at least 15% anyway.  

If one does a casual search for E30 in the performance auto forums, you will find a stack of info about those doing it.  Seems, since the 6.2 falls into that category, it would be a good thing to try.   If one doesn't have to pay for premium fuel to get premium performance, then why do it?  I would think getting a 93-94 octane fuel at the same price as regular would have folks fighting each other to get to the fuel pump as quick as they can.

Edited by Cowpie

Canadian here... KM's not Miles :)

I have a 2019 AT4, I recently put 20's on.

I am getting between 13.1 Liters / 100 KM and 15.0 Liters / 100 KM depending on the driving conditions.

I definitely went down after going from 18's to 20's and after the Air Intake and Exhaust. Expected it though so no worries here.

For reference:

10.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 28 miles per gallon
10.5 liters per 100 kilometers equals 27 miles per gallon
11.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 26 miles per gallon
11.5 liters per 100 kilometers equals 25 miles per gallon
12.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 24 miles per gallon
12.5 liters per 100 kilometers equals 23 miles per gallon
13.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 22 miles per gallon
13.5 liters per 100 kilometers equals 21 miles per gallon
14.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 20 miles per gallon
15.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 19 miles per gallon
16.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 18 miles per gallon
17.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 17 miles per gallon
18.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 16 miles per gallon
19.0 liters per 100 kilometers equals 15 miles per gallon
Edited by Taz56

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 8:12 AM, Cowpie said:

I am really surprised that I never see anyone post about using a blend of E85 and regular to make a E30 blend which has 93-94 octane and using that in the 6.2.  A 1 to 4 ratio of E85 and E10 will make roughly E30.  More like E25 in the winter months.  Many in the performance car community do this.  And the resulting cost is less than using regular alone.   Many in the performance car community have figured out that many of the more hot rod engines will not throw a code for ethanol blends of 30% or less. They are designed for at least 15% anyway.  

If one does a casual search for E30 in the performance auto forums, you will find a stack of info about those doing it.  Seems, since the 6.2 falls into that category, it would be a good thing to try.   If one doesn't have to pay for premium fuel to get premium performance, then why do it?  I would think getting a 93-94 octane fuel at the same price as regular would have folks fighting each other to get to the fuel pump as quick as they can.

Is this just as simple as filling up with XX amounts of each and the truck does the rest or does it require a tune?

1 hour ago, RaisedByWolves said:

Is this just as simple as filling up with XX amounts of each and the truck does the rest or does it require a tune?

Any time I have tried it in non flex fuel motors, the stock tune ran things fine.  No CEL and no other problems cropped up.   I have only had flex fuel vehicles for the last 5 years, so I have no current results with non flex fuel versions.   Many in the Mustang and other performance cars community run E30 with stock tune and get good results.  E30 is a 92-93 octane fuel which these high compression motors need. And from what I have read, there seems to be no problem and is a growing practice with those owners.   Some have indeed put alternative tunes in.   

Go look on some of the performance sites and you can find discussions on doing E30.     Since E30 would be about the same price as regular fuel while delivering Premium fuel performance, that alone should cause some to give it a whirl and see how it works for them.

Edited by Cowpie

I just completed a 438 mile with lots of speed changes ranging from 35 mph to 70 mph speed limits. I typically set the cruise for 8 over the speed limit and averaged 19.2 mpg. I feel if I didnt use the cruise I probably would have been around 20 mpg. I also am running 24" wheels which are a little heavier than the stock 20's. Typically the dic averages higher than my actual mileage when calculated manually when I fill up. On this long trip the Dic calculation was lower than the actual mileage.

• 2 weeks later...

B017FDEC-17C8-4945-BC60-DAABAAD7C779.thumb.jpeg.1a5c955da9d3b3296272d80ce7f8536b.jpeg

Mostly highway, most of that was at 75-85 MPH. Couple remote starts and short trips mixed in too though. City driving hurts, speed hurts. If you are in an area where you can hang out at 65 or so, seems like an honest 23-24 MPG is attainable.

Edited by OnTheReel

On 12/3/2019 at 7:38 PM, Ezekiel2517 said:

Would E30 give you the same mpg as premium 93 or would it be crappy like e85?  

Pretty sure E30 would not deliver the same mpg as premium, but given that E30 is about a about 80 cents a gallon cheaper than premium, I would be willing to bet that even with the lower mpg, it would still be far cheaper per mile than using premium.

I probably only lose a hair over 1 mpg by using E30 compared to even E10 regular.  In that comparison,   E30 is about 15 cents a gallon cheaper than E10 regular, so again, even by losing 1 mpg E30 is still cheaper to use than E10 on a cost per mile basis.   And I get 91-93 octane where E10 regular is only 87 octane.

Of course, prices vary across the country, so the price spreads may not be there and it may not be worth trying.

I may have to try this when travelling with the rv.  In houston I use my kroger fuel points to save $1 on every gallon so it's not worth the hassle.  But when I'm in other cities it might be worth a try.  Thanks. 

• 1 month later...