2019 Auto Show Impressions

I went to our local auto show today with an open mind as a long time Chevy truck guy. To go from one make model of truck to another is a unique opportunity to compare interior design and overall fit and finish. I went with a buddy who is a long time Ford guy and we had a blast critiqueing the different trucks.

I keep hearing online about the Dodge Ram interior and the sub-par Silverado/Sierra new interior. I had to see it for myself.

I know interior has nothing to do with capability or reliability but it is the part of the truck you spend the most time in so it's pretty damn important.

In my opinion (and my buddy too), the Dodge Ram knocked it out of the park. I got in a Denali and a High Country and I was not impressed at all. It wasn't just one thing but the sum of everything. I prefer my 16 LT z71 interior to the new ones.

Three things bugged me in particular.

1. The lack of adjustable foot pedals. The brake pedal on the GM's seemed unusually high and uncomfortable. I never cared about an adjustment pedal until I got that feature on my 16. It makes finding the perfect driving position possible.

2. The center console on the GM's seemed far inferior to the Dodge.

3. The showroom GM trucks already had rusty spots all over the frame.

I think I even liked the interior of the 4 year old F150 to the new GM'S.

I really love the look of the Silverado Exterior, especially the RST and the trail boss. But the interior in person is giving me second thoughts about keeping my 16 or looking at a Dodge or Furd.

I am curious if anyone else had similar feelings but grew to love the new interior after spending lots of time in it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm probably going to get back in a F150. I currently have a 2016 Denali but lease is up this month. I really wanted an AT4 but the combination of poor incentives this month and the "new" interior has me looking elsewhere.

Yeah, I wasn’t a huge fan of the interior on the GM at first. I almost went to Ram but I couldn’t trust the brand overall, and ultimately it does have the worst performance and fuel economy of the 3. Resale value also the worst.

I also felt like a lot of the “fancy” stitching and materials that the Ram has (especially in the upper trims) will not wear very well, and it just sort of seemed over the top for a truck that I work from every day. 

Practically speaking, the GM interior is basically perfect. I like where everything is laid out. I like that it’s similar enough to my 16 to the point where I knew how everything operated right away. The heads up display and camera mirror are game changing and nobody else has them. Overall I find it to be more comfortable and spacious than my 16. I think the materials are a bit better too, but I agree that that margin is thin. 

So far everyone who’s been in my truck has been immensely impressed. I think they could certainly add a few things over the next couple years and make it even better, but I don’t regret buying mine at all.

I’ll add that the Ford was a nonstarter for me. It’s a 4 year old platform and just didn’t excite me.

• Like 3

At first I wasn’t impressed with the new platform when they realeased it online. After my second test drive I was sold. So the interior didn’t change much, and doesn’t have that wow factor like ram. At least the interior will last for years to come in the gm. Had a dodge a couple of years ago and the dash would rattle like you wouldn’t believe, and the leather seats looked like crap after 2 years. I work in the mining industry and I’m in/out of my truck all day. My current gmc the interior look like the day I got it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Haven’t made the leap yet but interior wise GMT900 to the T1 trucks is like night and day. Not all of us are trading every few years.

Ryan B.

No offence but going back to a 2003 would be a step up from the 900's. That's the problem as GM did from 05-06 they took a step back in certain categories when a new truck especially at today's price point should be better in every way.

It's laughable how cheap looking and feeling my brothers 2012 denali is compared to my 14 all terrain interior wise, that's the kind of feeling i should get sitting in a 2019 imo, not saying to myself i like my 5 years old trucks interior better than the current ones.

I looked at all of them and bought a GM truck!  The interior was great in my opinion, more than I really need (LTZ), after all it is a truck!   I also bought it because of general reliability.  I'll take a big V8 over a turbo based truck any day.   Come on... the thing has heated \ cooled seats, they throw holograms up on the windshield and vibrate and corrective steer \ brake.  Sheesh these aren't even trucks anymore and you have people complain about the lack of a sunglass holders or it doesn't have a 12" screen or a sunroof that's the full length?!  Come on...  it's a truck, it rides as good as ANY car, has more than enough power on tap (6.2) and it's not just a pig with lipstick like a Dodge.    

• Like 5