What is GMC thinking?

So, one of my best friends works at the local GMC dealership.  Whenever I am considering a new truck purchase, I always start with him.

Today, I stopped by his dealership to take a look at the new GMC Sierra Evolution.  Nice looking truck, but $50k for a double cab (NO crew cab option), 5.3L and NO leather option....  cloth only?

No thanks.  

At a local Chevy dealer, I saw a Silverado RST with the same 5.3L engine, leather and it was a crew cab.  The sticker was $48k and it was marked down to $42k.  That is much more reasonable.

I don't buy cloth seats anymore.  Too hard to keep clean.  Even if they come with some coating on them.  It only lasts a year and then the seats will stain.  I'd rather pay the extra $800 for leather. 

And here I thought GMC was supposed to be an up-brand to Chevrolet.  Yet no leather option on the Evolution.  I even used their build and price tool to see if it was something that can be added/ordered.  Nope.

The way I see it, GM is trying to balance and even things out between the Chevy and GMC. The elevation is offered in Canada as a crew cab which is puzzling. The RST gets some things a comparable Elevation doesn’t, and the AT4 gets the 6.2 the trailboss doesn’t. 

Doesn’t really fit GMC’s image (or price tag) but unfortunately the SLE and Elevation have tended to slot a touch below the LT in years past too, as far as equipment availability. LT could get leather, SLE couldn’t. Same is carrying over to the LT and RST this year.

I don’t think GMC cares to sell many trucks below the SLT trim. Seeing an W/T, SLE or an Elevation on the road is pretty darn rare.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Doesn’t really fit GMC’s image (or price tag) but unfortunately the SLE and Elevation have tended to slot a touch below the LT in years past too, as far as equipment availability. LT could get leather, SLE couldn’t. Same is carrying over to the LT and RST this year.

I don’t think GMC cares to sell many trucks below the SLT trim. Seeing an W/T, SLE or an Elevation on the road is pretty darn rare.

Might just be your location. Dealers here stock loads of sle/elevations. Might be 5 or 6 slt and up for every thirty to forty lower trim levels. SLE could get leather bench seats. 

edit: just checked, my local dealers have 11/73 and 6/32 that are at4/slt/denali 

Edited by 6_2LTZ

Think ‘16 was the last year for leather in the SLE. I have a ‘17 brochure and it’s not marked as available. 

Those numbers are surprising. Could just be the location, but out of the 27 at the dealer down the road, none of them are below SLT trim. FWIW Laura GMC has a dozen or so WTs, 3 Elevations, only 1 SLE, and the rest of the 360 listed on their site are SLT and up. 

2 hours ago, steveved said:

So, one of my best friends works at the local GMC dealership.  Whenever I am considering a new truck purchase, I always start with him.

Today, I stopped by his dealership to take a look at the new GMC Sierra Evolution.  Nice looking truck, but $50k for a double cab (NO crew cab option), 5.3L and NO leather option....  cloth only?

No thanks.  

At a local Chevy dealer, I saw a Silverado RST with the same 5.3L engine, leather and it was a crew cab.  The sticker was $48k and it was marked down to $42k.  That is much more reasonable.

I don't buy cloth seats anymore.  Too hard to keep clean.  Even if they come with some coating on them.  It only lasts a year and then the seats will stain.  I'd rather pay the extra $800 for leather. 

And here I thought GMC was supposed to be an up-brand to Chevrolet.  Yet no leather option on the Evolution.  I even used their build and price tool to see if it was something that can be added/ordered.  Nope.

https://www.dennisdillongmc.com/VehicleSearchResults?stockOrVIN=3K0506,3K0577

I think you mean Elevation not Evolution... attached is a link to the dealer i bought mine from, the discounts are really good right now. This one is a loaded SLT with heated leather seats and heated steering wheel, Power driver and passenger seats, X31 Off road package all for 42k. 40k if you qualify for the other rebates.

They change trim packages and option availability every year.. it tough to keep up! Lol..

Does anyone know if Chevy is making the ‘special edition’ packages for 2019? ie.. Rally, Midnight, etc..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

Does anyone know if Chevy is making the ‘special edition’ packages for 2019? ie.. Rally, Midnight, etc..?

Nothing yet. If I had to guess we maybe would start seeing them for 2020, but who knows. Usually they start doing stuff like that when the product is getting a little “stale”. Hence the half-dozen they released for the Colorado in the past year or two.

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Don’t see leather listed on the US or Canadian build and price site for the Elevation.

I stand corrected.

I only looked at 2019 new style.

Assumed that all (rpo A50) buckets were the same

--- but they are cloth on Elevation and 'leather appointed' on the others -- SLT, AT4 and Denali