How fast (slow lol) is the 5.3L 2WD

43 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

E-85 bumps the 5.3 up. If they still offer that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 5.3 EcoTec3 L83 has the following with and without E85

C4E82F2B-F2A4-40DB-BD29-FBE947D65FA1.jpeg

• Like 1

I just drove my 5.3 from Denver to Galveston.  All I can say is wow!  My 5.3 feels stronger here than the 6.2 does in Denver.  This thing is much more fun down here.  I will miss this power when I go home.  Might have to start saving for a Whipple charger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎25 at 9:42 AM, KARNUT said:

TBI can’t have horsepower because of TBI, really? Anything can be made to perform. The parts are out there.

Oh for sure, all I am saying is you cant pull out a Vortec 350 and make 1,000whp with the stock fuel system. The injectors will not flow enough and you can't buy ones that will for the TBI system. Where as you can go to the Junkyard, pull out a 6.0L bolt on a turbo, decap the stock injectors and add another fuel pump and make 900+whp on stock computers. You cant do that with a Vortec 350. You could bolt on a 4 barrel, put then you need a blow through carb set up if you want to make big power. Can you make 500whp with a TBI 350? probably, which is good power, but it is not 600+ like any FI LS/LT. Big power in street cars/trucks in 1995 was 500hp, big power today is 1,500hp.

32 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Oh for sure, all I am saying is you cant pull out a Vortec 350 and make 1,000whp with the stock fuel system. The injectors will not flow enough and you can't buy ones that will for the TBI system. Where as you can go to the Junkyard, pull out a 6.0L bolt on a turbo, decap the stock injectors and add another fuel pump and make 900+whp on stock computers. You cant do that with a Vortec 350. You could bolt on a 4 barrel, put then you need a blow through carb set up if you want to make big power. Can you make 500whp with a TBI 350? probably, which is good power, but it is not 600+ like any FI LS/LT. Big power in street cars/trucks in 1995 was 500hp, big power today is 1,500hp.

With that ancient pcm and two 90 lb per hour injectors you have no hope in hell of 500 hp with a TBI lol.  The Vortec 350 intake was actually worse for power than TBI was.  By the time GM sandwiched rhe entire injection system inside the intake manifold it left little room for air.  Not to mention you are extremely limited on poppet sizes for the spider assembly they use.  

Very few here have made any power with anything be it an old small block or something newer.  It's mostly spit balling on here say lol.

• Like 1

I agree LS engines are cheaper to make power. There are TBI set ups to make big power numbers. Holley for one sells them.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, TXGREEK said:

Now that I think about it, my truck had a $62K sticker price, Raptor $68K which needed nothing. I’ve already put over $10k of extras which at least $4K more than a loaded out Raptor. Oh well, lesson learned lol

If you paid anywhere near 62k for your truck you got ripped off.  Where a Raptor typically sells for near sticker. 

Mine stickered for 61k and I paid 44k out the door before taxes.  We are talking a good 20k+ difference between my truck and a Raptor.  That is why a Raptor isn't sitting in my driveway...

• Like 1

If you paid anywhere near 62k for your truck you got ripped off.  Where a Raptor typically sells for near sticker. 

Mine stickered for 61k and I paid 44k out the door before taxes.  We are talking a good 20k+ difference between my truck and a Raptor.  That is why a Raptor isn't sitting in my driveway...

Lol, absolutely not but thanks for bringing it up. I don’t pay sticker either just making a point of price difference stickers but if I knew then what I know now I would’ve bought a Raptor only based on the amount of money it takes to get a stock truck to narrowly perform like a raptor based on large amounts having to spend in aftermarket parts. I always thought Raptors drove rough but apparently they’re extremely smooth considering their immense capabilities.

My truck was 62 MSRP, completely loaded out minus electric GM running boards I despised and the magna-ride I refused to have and $3K less then the Denali. Personal preference but what you pay for a truck is not what I pay and this is why I said what I said. So far I’m very happy but in the event I start having the dreaded GM issues then I’ll have a new loaded out Raptor in my driveway. Good luck and be safe

Sent from above

10 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

My truck was 62 MSRP, completely loaded out minus electric GM running boards I despised and the magna-ride I refused to have and $3K less then the Denali. Personal preference but what you pay for a truck is not what I pay and this is why I said what I said. So far I’m very happy but in the event I start having the dreaded GM issues then I’ll have a new loaded out Raptor in my driveway. Good luck and be safe

So I am assuming you have a SLT Premium Plus.  You are missing more than just power running boards (which was an option on the Denali unless you got the Denali Ultimate).  You don't get the nicer grill, body color bumpers, extra colored stitching in the seats, chrome handle on the center console, mag ride as you mentioned, or the large screen Denali cluster.  I'm curious as to how you got your truck to sticker at 62K...mine is 61K and about as loaded as you can get a SLT without adding dealer options.

I paid $44,055 out the door (before tax).  CC, short bed, PP, Sunroof, 6.2L, Z71, floor liners, paid paint option.  You said I don't pay what you pay for a truck.  Did you get yours under 45k?  

So I am assuming you have a SLT Premium Plus.  You are missing more than just power running boards (which was an option on the Denali unless you got the Denali Ultimate).  You don't get the nicer grill, body color bumpers, extra colored stitching in the seats, chrome handle on the center console, mag ride as you mentioned, or the large screen Denali cluster.  I'm curious as to how you got your truck to sticker at 62K...mine is 61K and about as loaded as you can get a SLT without adding dealer options.

I paid $44,055 out the door (before tax).  CC, short bed, PP, Sunroof, 6.2L, Z71, floor liners, paid paint option.  You said I don't pay what you pay for a truck.  Did you get yours under 45k?  

What you consider nice is personal preference. I love the SLT grill cause thought and still thinking about putting lights behind the more opened grill. All the above PremiumPlus Package with Standard Bed, Rear under-seat locking steel cabinet extra mats, GMC door step sill, some extra things and then over $10 in aftermarket accessories. One of my best friends from teenager years owns a GMC dealership and one of his best friends own a Ford dealership so yeah, I don’t pay what most people pay but then again most people have different expectations/requirements than I do. Again based it all off of sticker price.

Sent from above

4 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

What you consider nice is personal preference. I love the SLT grill cause thought and still thinking about putting lights behind the more opened grill. All the above PremiumPlus Package with Standard Bed, Rear under-seat locking steel cabinet extra mats, GMC door step sill, some extra things and then over $10 in aftermarket accessories. One of my best friends from teenager years owns a GMC dealership and one of his best friends own a Ford dealership so yeah, I don’t pay what most people pay but then again most people have different expectations/requirements than I do. Again based it all off of sticker price.

Sent from above

Don't forget about those Active Grill Shutters, we have them Denali or not :uhoh:

• Like 1

Don't forget about those Active Grill Shutters, we have them Denali or not :uhoh:

Good point, thought about it too but I’m sure I can have the guys at my shop fab something up for me.

Sent from above

On 3/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, TXGREEK said:

Now that I think about it, my truck had a $62K sticker price, Raptor $68K which needed nothing. I’ve already put over $10k of extras which at least $4K more than a loaded out Raptor. Oh well, lesson learned lol

Sent from above

I just got into a new 2018 Raptor after totaling my '15 6.2 Sierra (theres a whole thread on it w/ many GM guys getting panties twisted - for the record I still like alot of GM products & still own a C5Z) - what you're stating is 100000% accurate and then some. For comparison - I purchased my truck for $59,500 including a truxedo tonneau + $1000 credit towards 100k b2b warranty. It was a highly optioned 801A truck stickered for $66.8k - I was contemplating getting back into a fully loaded GMC Denali that stickered similar to my Raptor but I got them down to $51.8

To me - even though I spent $8-9k more, I still feel like its the better deal overall - if we were talking a '19 GM truck w/o that steep discounting it wouldn't even be worth discussing. You CAN'T add the suspension/A-arms/steering/tranny modes/extra power/35" LT tires/beadlocks/exhaust/fender flares/skid plates/etc. for that kinda money. You just can't. And if you COULD somehow swing it for equal cash - you immediately lose your warranty + devalue a vehicle that already will depreciate faster than a comparable Raptor. Thems the facts boys. Also - math above included a warranty into the difference in price. Oh and the other thing you'd lose in addition to your $$$ & warranty trying to make a regular 1/2 ton into a Raptor? You'd lose out on MPG - big time. My 6.2 Sierra lifted 2.5-3" on 33"s w/o the lower chin splitter averaged 16.1 mixed overall. My Raptor riding on heavy ass 35" BFGs, pushing out 30 more HP/50 TQ & sitting even higher & being even less aerodynamic is getting 15.4 mixed so far w/ a heavier foot, only 2500 miles, & more city driving for sure. We all know what kinda MPG a 4" lifted GM truck riding on 35"s gets.

IF you do wanna straddle the line of modding vs warranty guys have been consistently getting +100 HP/TQ @ the crank w/ TUNE ONLY. A Cobb accessport allows you to swap right back to stock parameters. 0-60 in 4.6-4.8 seconds tune only. 420whp/465rwtq 

As far as reliabilty? I used to be skeptical of the 3.5 ecoboost....like 10+ years ago when I was poking fun @ the SHO's wanting to race camaros/G8's - fast forward a decade+ & look around.....how many 3.5EB explorers, taurus', F150's (and the 2.7) do you see in commercial/fleet/first responder/police vehicles. Lots. You ALL see shit loads. 

Ford is now capping off the Raptor & current F150 generation w/ a "super raptor" that'll be debuting the new 5.2 SC'd V8 good for around 700hp alongside the newest GT500 - Dodge will attempt to compete w/ the TRX

Meanwhile we just keep bending over saying "thank you general may I have another" w/ their "bandaid" temporary fix 8 speeds, incessant shaking, junk torque converters, & hope you enjoy the off-center steering wheel couple w/ a column shifter outta a '94 suburban. Face it - brands take turns as "king of the hill" depending on who has the best design/engineering/marketing at any given time.....lately Ford & Dodge have been beating GM to the punch & then some.

Edited by crushNchowda