How fast (slow lol) is the 5.3L 2WD

Frankly, I'd be happy if my Silverado had half the power and twice the gas mileage.

That being said, of all the V-8's I've driven, my Silverado has the best gas mileage so I'm all good here.

• Like 4

Ok so lots of miss information here. 15 stock isn't slow. A few years ago a civic si was a 17.sec car. So a 15 sec truck not bad. That said the stock block 5.3 record is in in the 9 sec and making over 800rwhp. 

All in the tune. And then in the trans and traction. There are guys in the 12 and even 11 with bolt on. Thata great when you see class rules for the track. It is cage and gear speeds.

What does a 500,600,800hp car run 13? And it's a truck. Yeah so it's a truck but a capable truck

• Like 3

5 hours ago, njk4o5 said:

compared to a ram 1500 v8 and ford with the 5.0. hell even the fords with the small ecoboost feel peppier than my shitbox 5.3

yeah i could spend $500 on a tune and drive 33 miles to the nearest e85 station  but at that point might as well just do twin turbos and nitrous while im at it lol

Which tranny and rear end?  Makes a difference. Also, why did you buy it if it didn't meet your needs. I drove an 8 speed 3.42 truck, felt like a downgrade from what I was replacing and kept searching. 

I wasn't aware that 0-60 acceleration time was important for a truck.

Pretty sure the Silverado/Sierra 1500s have higher tow ratings than a comparable Ram or F-150. A 5.3 K2 double cab 2WD requires the "heavy truck" registration here in Florida and it basically doubles the cost over registering one that's below 5000 pounds. The renewal date is not your birthday, it is 12/31. Do you know how many extended cab late model Rams with 5.7 Hemi have plates like that?

None that I've seen!

It doesn't matter. It's not a race car, it's a truck. And it does truck things very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, 18ShortBed said:

I read Chevy is the slowest full sized V8 pickup :(

Who cares it's a truck for Christ's sake.

If you want to go fast get a Vette. I heard they go pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have 0-60 times or 1/4 times?

I read Chevy is the slowest full sized V8 pickup [emoji20]
This comment reminds me of the first time i let the kid drive the truck. First thing i heard "it's not fast like the charger"

Super charge that sob if you want fast.

5 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

15 stock isn't slow. 

Agree.  I once owned a Buick Grand National.  In stock trim, I took it to the track and got mid 15’s for the quarter mile.  Pros we’re getting it to just slightly under 15.  Now a full size truck is getting into the 15s.  That’s not slow.

• Like 1

The 5.3 with 342 gears 6 speed doesn’t feel slow to me at all. I came from Civic Si’s and WRX’s, doesn’t feel like I’m missing out on any power. More is always better but I’d certainly call it good. 

• Like 4

The 5.3 with 342 gears 6 speed doesn’t feel slow to me at all. I came from Civic Si’s and WRX’s, doesn’t feel like I’m missing out on any power. More is always better but I’d certainly call it good. 
Mine is a 5.3/6L80E/3.42 and I have no issues whatsoever with acceleration or top end for highway passing.

I remember my TBI 350 with 1st gen 4L60E and we are lightyears ahead of that in terms of power. I thought my GMT800 5.3 had balls at the top end, the low end was a little weak compared to the TBI. The 5.3 Ecotec was a good jump up from that, I think it has good low RPM torque AND the top end is even better than the Vortec. That TBI 350 was all low end, more tractor-like.

All of my trucks have been 3.42s, I believe that to be a good ratio for highway and city as well as towing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

My 5.3, 6 speed, 3.42 gears feels good enough for all my needs in 2WD and 4WD. 

Definitly much peppier than my 02 (5.3 as well) 

once warranty is out, I’ll put a tuner on her, but I’m A-okay with her until then. 

Im sure the 6.2 would have been a fun motor, but all honesty when I was buying, I didn’t even know they had a 6.2 haha. I just knew I had a 5.3 before and wanted it again. 

I was looking for the cheapest Z71 with full console they had on their lot and I know those didn’t have the 6.2

and my cheap ass wouldn’t have payed the extra for it anyhow. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Who cares it's a truck for Christ's sake.

If you want to go fast get a Vette. I heard they go pretty good.

I realize other manufactures including Chevy offer higher powered V8's, but Chevy's 5.3l coming in dead last versus its competition's base V8's suck.

Jeez

The 5.3 is GM's millage work horse engine. It tugs around my 6400lb camper and never bats and eye.

One of my camping friends went up the a 2018 F250 diesel last year because pulling the same weight with the 2017 F150 with the larger Eco-boost  engine over the same distance would turn the exhaust manifolds molten red.  Then he would have to let it sit with the hood open to cool it down,  All though, I think a ford V8 would have worked he over compensated little ha ha but it's a nice truck.

This engine is what it is, a work horse not a race horse. The 5.3 gets up and still goes. They will out run most non-modded or boosted standard 4 and 6 cycle engine vehicles.

So you can shake of the pesky slow cars at the lights ha ha...  the fast cars are no issue they keep up and stay at speed :)

• Like 1