2019 GMC AT4 w. empty trailer bottoming out!

Brand new 2019 AT4 with 6.2 and 10 speed, hooked up my 24' ATC aluminum trailer before I put my car in it and it bottoms out on the bump stops,

just put my 2945 lb race car in and the truck, now sagging in the back so bad I had to change receptor and ball out just to release the jack on the trailer 

Drove it around the block and it steers like crap due to the suspension being bottomed out

This truck supposedly has 9k plus towing capacity? 

My 2015 Suburban w. 5.3 is perfectly level when towing the exact same load

Anyone with same towing problems?

If you are using the same hitch you were on your old vehicle that could be the problem as the AT4 is much taller you need to have a larger drop. I have not been towing with mine yet because I need a new hitch to get it lower to the ground to make the load level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 21STCMC said:

Brand new 2019 AT4 with 6.2 and 10 speed, hooked up my 24' ATC aluminum trailer before I put my car in it and it bottoms out on the bump stops,

just put my 2945 lb race car in and the truck, now sagging in the back so bad I had to change receptor and ball out just to release the jack on the trailer 

Drove it around the block and it steers like crap due to the suspension being bottomed out

This truck supposedly has 9k plus towing capacity? 

My 2015 Suburban w. 5.3 is perfectly level when towing the exact same load

Anyone with same towing problems?

Your problem is related to the less than optimum factory Tenneco "Rancho" shocks. 

A shock improvement or airbag setup will help yield better towing results. :thumbs:

1 hour ago, gothp28 said:

If you are using the same hitch you were on your old vehicle that could be the problem as the AT4 is much taller you need to have a larger drop. I have not been towing with mine yet because I need a new hitch to get it lower to the ground to make the load level.

Believe it or not my 2015 stock Suburban hitch receptacle sits 2-3" taller than the "lifted" AT4

6 hours ago, Controller23 said:

Sounds like something’s wrong. I put a 4500lb travel trailer on my z71 and it barely moved. What’s the tongue weight of your trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have the "Max Tow" Package, after further study I see that the AT4 & Denali do not come with and it's not available on either model, forcing someone

that wants to tow into a Sierra with a Max Tow option, hard to believe that is needed for such little weight 

Believe it or not my 2015 stock Suburban hitch receptacle sits 2-3" taller than the "lifted" AT4
If its 3in lower That would mean the trailers nose would also be 3" lower meaning it has way too much tongue weight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gothp28 said:

If its 3in lower That would mean the trailers nose would also be 3" lower meaning it has way too much tongue weight.

Went from a drop hitch to straight, trailer was same height

John, 

Some on the K2 forum have reported good results with Bilstein 4600 or 5100 shocks when towing.

Sounds like you are pulling a beast. An air bag setup will probably work best with your situation.

Shocks can slow down bottoming out, they are supposed to reduce the bounciness/"shock" of the springs working.  If you are fully bottomed-out and not just bouncing off the bump stops occasionally then you need stronger or taller springs, not different shocks.  If you are just bouncing off the stops then stronger shocks might be enough to slow/stop that.  Shocks don't hold the truck up, springs do.

Airbags are spring alternatives not shock alternatives so that sounds like a good choice.

• Like 2

I'm gonna put an airlift kit in my AT4 on mine just because of ride quality and my plans to lift/level but I def don't need it.  

It doesn't even squat a little when I put my 18ft flatbed on there and that's got to weigh close to the same as your atc.  I've hauled a 4 place loaded with sleds and gear and it simply leveled the truck out. 

Sounds like something else is wrong to me.. 

• Like 1