2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

Has anyone changed their atf in the 8 speed? I want to swap to amsoil atf before long and I was going to get the dealership to do it but it looks fairly easy from what I can find. I'm around 20k now and I am thinking about changing it around 25-30k, not because it needs it of course but I'd like the better fluid in there and I figure after 25-30 it's good and broken in and should be producing less sediment at that point. That's my thought anyway. 

• Like 1

14,000 miles 13 qts Amsoil ATL Signature Series from Nick. Dealer did it with exchange machine. Better shifts cooler under stress. Amsoil in transfer case and severe gear in both differentials. MPG increased ~4.4% doing the driveline. Have not seen higher than 214F on ATF temp since. I don’t tow but off road in and out of mountains at or above 10,000’ msl frequently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have y’all talked to the dealer to see if it voids the warranty? I know my dealer sells amsoil but won’t change my engine oil with it because it voids the warranty due to no dexos certification. Wonder if their atf has the proper certain? 

Edited by Texcl2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Texcl2 said:

Have y’all talked to the dealer to see if it voids the warranty? I know my dealer sells amsoil but won’t change my engine oil with it because it voids the warranty due to no dexos certification. Wonder if their atf has the proper certain? 

B.S. Amsoil is better fluids. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Texcl2 said:

My dealer installed it and authorized using Amsoil. 

16 minutes ago, Texcl2 said:

They sell something they won’t cover. That’s special. 

• Like 1

Amsoil has its own warranty that I used to forensically evaluate for them as an independent tribology source. They were honest and bent over backward to take care of Amsoil users. 
black02silverado can share more about that. 

I’m not arguing amsoil isn’t better, I use it all the time but if your dealer says they won’t cover it Then why go through that head ache and they will void warranty’s on vehicles not using fluids with the proper certifications, you basically sign a warranty contract when you buy your vehicle that states you will use fluids with the required certifications. Now it doesn’t have to be GM oil just has to be certified. It’s funny because Walmart supertech engine oil is dexos certified so it won’t void the warranty and personally I want  to stick with the factory warranty with the oil warranty as back up, it’s why I use Mobil 1 oil. If the atf meet cert, which it might because there’s no silly GM dexos cert for it, then by all means I’d use that over factory fill. Amsoil has a fantastic base and great additive packages, better than Mobil 1 in most cases.

Edited by Texcl2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

Yeah we are talking about Chevy making OEM badges. 

I totally agree, just commenting about resource options for this thread should others want to find a way to show our appreciation for the 166 cubic inches of pure fury under our hoods lol. I tried a 2.7L badge like my turbo badge on back right corner of tailgate and it was chrome with red inlet but it was just too small. Your 2.7L looks big enough but I don’t do eBay only Amazon.ca so I’ll maybe look for that one when I can. There are custom badge makers out there also. But yeah, be nice if GM would show their own love for this 21st century bad ass truck motor.

1 hour ago, Texcl2 said:

I’m not arguing amsoil isn’t better, I use it all the time but if your dealer says they won’t cover it Then why go through that head ache and they will void warranty’s on vehicles not using fluids with the proper certifications, you basically sign a warranty contract when you buy your vehicle that states you will use fluids with the required certifications. Now it doesn’t have to be GM oil just has to be certified. It’s funny because Walmart supertech engine oil is dexos certified so it won’t void the warranty and personally I want  to stick with the factory warranty with the oil warranty as back up, it’s why I use Mobil 1 oil. If the atf meet cert, which it might because there’s no silly GM dexos cert for it, then by all means I’d use that over factory fill. Amsoil has a fantastic base and great additive packages, better than Mobil 1 in most cases.

Your dealer is the problem, not you the customer!  The quality of the transmissions SEEM to be a problem. Its not your fault but understand your logic.  Licensing products is great if they are exceptional. Formulating to a minimum is shame for the consumer and thats whats happening in this case. 

The only reason to use a better fluid is performance/longevity, shame you have to choose between those two and meeting DEXOS licenses. 

Why do they sell Amsoil if they won't use Amsoil's warranty and stand behind it?  Thats BS. 

Case in point

Before retiring I was developing a CVT fluid that would exceed all standards and save Nissan, in particular, warranty issues.  Nissan developed NS-3 that did all I was searching for so I used it in a Nissan test bed we owned and did not try to reinvent the wheel.  

The problem with using an exceptional transmission/transaxle heat dissipating fluid is that it can mask issues that show up, say after warranty,.... but just out of it.  

My dealer knows I would fight with science to get warranty covered. So they don't screw with me. I have them draw oil samples to make the point.  Black02Silverado used Amsoil ATL in his 6 speed GM AT and it failed at 80K+ miles but from the oil analysis was pristine.  

It's arguable that changing to Amsoil 100% got that transmission about 60K miles of service in spite of the design. 

I’m not saying it’s right but it’s  reality . I’m not giving GM a reason to deny my claim. The dealer will use amsoil in older pre dexos vehicles as it meets the requirements for those. I hope the amsoil atf has the needed certifications to keep it in warranty since I’m a 30k transmission fluid change guy and would like to use it. Fortunately my trailboss’s tranny has been flawless with the stock fluid. amsoil is refusing to pay for the dexos certification from GM from what I have heard but don’t quote me on it. 

Edited by Texcl2
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:12 AM, customboss said:

Black02Silverado used Amsoil ATL in his 6 speed GM AT and it failed at 80K+ miles 

Wait what? I thought Amsoil prevented these types of issues? Part of the benefit of the price of their oil is significantly increased mpg, no mechanical failures and fluid change rates 4 times that of the next competitors leading oil.

On 8/27/2022 at 10:26 PM, Texcl2 said:

amsoil is refusing to pay for the dexos certification from GM from what I have heard but don’t quote me on it. 

Is that how that works, the companies pay for it? Maybe if amsoil cut back on all the inhouse "independent" testing and advertising chain referral they could swing a few certifications from the larger manufacturers? 

Tyler

12 minutes ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Wait what? I thought Amsoil prevented these types of issues? Part of the benefit of the price of their oil is significantly increased mpg, no mechanical failures and fluid change rates 4 times that of the next competitors leading oil.

Is that how that works, the companies pay for it? Maybe if amsoil cut back on all the inhouse "independent" testing and advertising chain referral they could swing a few certifications from the larger manufacturers? 

Tyler

We'll disagree about Amsoil quality Tyler. As far as marketing thats not my background or game, I base my comments on testing over many years.   The current Amsoil quality is unsurpassed for mass produced products. 

That 6 speed would have burned up a lot earlier without Amsoil based on what Nick shared. Lubricants can do a lot but poor engineering and parts won't be saved in every case for sure. 

BTW Dexos is a licensing system where you get testing done on YOUR DIME as a formulator, producer, then are allowed to display the appropriate qualifications.  Dexos was developed because API and ILSAC weren't good enough. So its a minor step up from them. 

Amsoil engine oils and trans fluids that state they meet or exceed Dexos specs, they like many smaller companies cannot afford to get licensed for all the extra licensure costs.  Its a barrier to high quality lubricants for sure that aren't on the walmart shelves as loss leaders for large oil companies. 

Amsoil does stand behind its products with an overall warranty that will engage if there is a problem. 

I'm running Amsoil products currently and they are performing better than DEXOS licensed products and I back that up with oil analysis and my dealer covers me. 

• Like 2