2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

On 10/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, F-150stxguy said:

So the HO 2.7 would technically be the second generation? Do you think a lot of companies will use this for fleet? 

I wish there was more data on this power train. I’ll be looking to buy this upcoming spring. So far I haven’t read about any glaring issues.

But this engine must be built pretty damn stout to handle all that pressure, on the flip side it’s loaded with up to date technology that gives me pause, like the DFM and sliding cam. 

GM seems to have their priorities and funding into electric……do you think they invested enough research and development on this mill as compared to Ford like they do their ecoboost? Ford went all in back in 2010/11, but this is gm’s what, second boosted application in recent years? 

I wish there was more data. 

2.7 HO would be I guess you could say the second gen?  Its the same RPO code which is a tad confusing considering the upgrades it got.  Typically GM will change out the RPO for a next gen of an engine, the 3.0 Duramax for example was the LM2, the upgraded one is the LZ0.  

2019 model year was the first one, so 4 model years worth of the non HO trucks were built, we are now heading into the second MY for the HO.  

On 10/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, Amcguy1970 said:

In grad school we spent a good amount of time on the impact of brand value in one of my classes.

This was a good read. Thank you. 

Consider please; the type of damage shown below is universal to all brands and yet this is totally preventable by considerations during design and fabrication. In which case the 'industry' as a whole, sets the definition of "service life". 

Will you speak to this industry practice of "setting a universal expectation"?

How to Prevent Rusty Wheel Arches - Panic Mechanic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, newdude said:

2.7 HO would be I guess you could say the second gen?  Its the same RPO code which is a tad confusing considering the upgrades it got.  Typically GM will change out the RPO for a next gen of an engine, the 3.0 Duramax for example was the LM2, the upgraded one is the LZ0.  

2019 model year was the first one, so 4 model years worth of the non HO trucks were built, we are now heading into the second MY for the HO.  

IMHO the RPO code is the same because its essentially the same engine with crank, crank bearings, and heavier cast block. The real performance difference is ECM program.  

On 11/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, customboss said:

IMHO the RPO code is the same because its essentially the same engine with crank, crank bearings, and heavier cast block. The real performance difference is ECM program.  

and lets count the tunes so far...I see 5 now

2019-2022 half tons (no refresh) - 310hp/348 ft/lbs

Cadillac - 325hp/380 ft/lbs

2022+ refresh half tons - h.o. 310/430 ft/lbs

2023 mid-size - three tunes

1.  237hp/259 ft/lbs

2. 310hp/390 ft/lbs

3. 310hp/430 ft/lbs (h.o. shared with 2022+ half tons)

unsure if the Cadillac ever got more than one tune? don't really follow cars 😉

Edited by 4banger
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, 4banger said:

and lets count the tunes so far...I see 5 now

2019-2022 half tons (no refresh) - 310hp/348 ft/lbs

Cadillac - 325hp/380 ft/lbs

2022+ refresh half tons - h.o. 310/430 ft/lbs

2023 mid-size - three tunes

1.  237hp/259 ft/lbs

2. 310hp/390 ft/lbs

3. 310hp/430 ft/lbs (h.o. shared with 2022+ half tons)

unsure if the Cadillac ever got more than one tune? don't really follow cars 😉

Fun fact.  Turbo Plus and the HO are identical (so stronger block, bearings, crank, etc.).  Turbo Plus is just a different torque curve and lower peak torque amount.  There's an LPO option on the twins which is an ECM flash to turn a Turbo Plus into the HO state of tune.  Option code RWQ. 

The new base 2.7 is RPO code L2R.  L2R loses the piston squirters and other internal changes to de-tune it/lower costs, so it can't be flashed to any L3B spec.  My guesses as to other changes is probably a different turbo, maybe even uses the original L3B less stronger block 19-22 engine? 

L2R - 237hp @5600rpm, 260tq @1200-4000rpm.

L3b Turbo Plus - 310hp @5600rpm, 390tq @2000rpm.

L3B HO - 310hp @5600rpm, 430tq @3000rpm.

IMO, Turbo Plus sounds like it would be fun to drive peaking at 2000rpm but I wonder how the curve falls off after that.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:26 PM, newdude said:

Fun fact.  Turbo Plus and the HO are identical (so stronger block, bearings, crank, etc.).  Turbo Plus is just a different torque curve and lower peak torque amount.  There's an LPO option on the twins which is an ECM flash to turn a Turbo Plus into the HO state of tune.  Option code RWQ. 

The new base 2.7 is RPO code L2R.  L2R loses the piston squirters and other internal changes to de-tune it/lower costs, so it can't be flashed to any L3B spec.  My guesses as to other changes is probably a different turbo, maybe even uses the original L3B less stronger block 19-22 engine? 

L2R - 237hp @5600rpm, 260tq @1200-4000rpm.

L3b Turbo Plus - 310hp @5600rpm, 390tq @2000rpm.

L3B HO - 310hp @5600rpm, 430tq @3000rpm.

IMO, Turbo Plus sounds like it would be fun to drive peaking at 2000rpm but I wonder how the curve falls off after that.  

weird on the 2000 peak, I'm leaning typo on that one, some great info there, thanks

aaaaand....we still don't even know how big our turbo's are, let alone what a smaller one might be if that's the case on the l2r 😉

Edited by 4banger

1 hour ago, ECE said:

So with the winter months here, has anyone put a plow blade on one yet? If so any issues getting around the intercooler to attach to the frame?

HOs its a problem as they changed up intercooler bracketry.

A few of the plow OEMs make frames that fit the non HO trucks, but are limited.  Western/Fisher/Snowex only allow there Jeep sized homeowner blades because of the intercooler and how the plow frames are mounted. 

Biggest issue still would be air flow still as a plow would block that intercooler opening at the lower bumper.  Gotta make sure that blade is angled during transportation. 

The engine/tranmission/drivetrain are more than up to the task however.  Power is not the issue.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4banger said:

weird on the 2000 peak, I'm leaning typo on that one, some great info there, thanks

aaaaand....we still don't even know how big our turbo's are, let alone what a smaller one might be if that's the case on the l2r 😉

Best I can find is its a part of the Borg Warner B03 family?  

BorgWarner dual-volute turbocharger (sae.org)

19 hours ago, newdude said:

Best I can find is its a part of the Borg Warner B03 family?  

BorgWarner dual-volute turbocharger (sae.org)

ya I was there, emailed them at a couple different support email addresses, and I may have emailed someone at gm also,  crickets

I Just heard from a Chevy salesman that 2023 will be the last year you can get a V8 in any pick up. Not sure how true that is. My wife just bought her a used 2021 with the 2.7. I have conflicting thoughts and concerns. We put a lot of two lane highway miles on our vehicle. We do own a few cows, a boat and haul trailers regularly. Usually our load would be under a ton but cows may be closer to 2.5 at most. I hope this 2.7 will get it done, But the 2012 5.3l isn't going anywhere till we know. We pick it up tomorrow. Kind of excited to see how it performs.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Barry Chandler said:

I Just heard from a Chevy salesman that 2023 will be the last year you can get a V8 in any pick up. Not sure how true that is. My wife just bought her a used 2021 with the 2.7. I have conflicting thoughts and concerns. We put a lot of two lane highway miles on our vehicle. We do own a few cows, a boat and haul trailers regularly. Usually our load would be under a ton but cows may be closer to 2.5 at most. I hope this 2.7 will get it done, But the 2012 5.3l isn't going anywhere till we know. We pick it up tomorrow. Kind of excited to see how it performs.  

Yeah your salesman is full of it, that would mean the big 3 would all have to end it after this year and they are all mid model runs, not happening. Probably trying to make you feel better or reassure the capability of the 2.7. With that it is a good motor and plenty strong for what you are pulling, that is barely over half its capacity. It will perform better than your 2012 5.3 in most any instance. 

I have a buddy that has a small farm and they raise donkeys. He had bought a 2500 Ram not long before he got his new sales job and it came with a 4wd 2.7 Silverado. He asked my thought on if it would handle his farm work (trailer with golf cart, couple of donkeys, trailer with small tractor), said it would. After trying it he sold the Ram (used that money towards a second garage since he sold it for more than paid for it back during covid) and it has done everything he needs without issue. Plus not paying Diesel prices and having the better ride is a plus. his max trailer weights are in the 5-6k range. 

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The V8 isn’t going anywhere in full size trucks. He was pushing you into a higher model, more expensive truck. 

For the people who don’t tow or carry heavy stuff, you know “family truck” owners, the 2.7 is awesome. I’ll take it all day over a 5.3L. 

• Thanks 1