2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

I got to tell you guys, I picked up a new 2022 Tahoe recently with a 5.3/10speed in it with 15 miles on the odometer. I’ve been comparing the performance between that and my 2022 refresh 2.7 Trailboss and have come to the conclusion I like the 2.7ho Trailboss better. They are both pretty close  in performance but overall the trailboss seems more solid and responsive. As far as the 10 speed goes I can take it or leave it I guess, it’s nothing special. Fuel mileage is worse with the e 5.3 too only by 2-3 mpg’s but it’s also not lifted with big tires like the trailboss. I suspect it would be closer to 5-7mpgs if it were a normal z71 truck. It’s an impressive little engine. Just have to see how long they last.

• Like 3

anyone know how many mm's the turbo is? I like to poke fun at my big block sewing machine so it would be good to say 'with a x mm spin whistle' etc. but my Google fu is failing me and can't seem to find what size turbo is on these things?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4banger said:

so did I bring up a new mystery to solve here? 

does anyone know how big our turbo's are?

The videos in this long thread might give you a clue....homework. No clue, except its big enough for our needs. 

22 minutes ago, customboss said:

The videos in this long thread might give you a clue....homework. No clue, except its big enough for our needs. 

ya I would have picked up on the size and noted it if I had heard it in those videos when I watched before, after watching all the seasons of street outlaws and my kids fascination with fast and furious I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have missed how many mm's our turbos are and kept that mental note if not added to my own notes about the motor, and I've done some googling and gone to borg Warner website to see if the info may be there, maybe I'll email them and see if they can answer? I just figured someone here would have seen that by now and have the answer on their finger tips?

edit, I emailed them so will see if I get an answer

Edited by 4banger
  • Like 1

Did an oil change on my 2.7T for the first time (new to me truck). Was surprised to see the plastic drain pan and drain plug on these motors. Wonder if the aftermarket will come out with a metal pan with a traditional style drain bolt. That would allow people to use other types of aftermarket drain bolts like Fumoto Valves, Gold Plugs, Stahlbus drains. etc.

Also a note. After draining the old oil back into the containers from my new oil...i noticed I was about 1 quart low. Are these motors notorious for burning oil? I am not sure what mileage this past oil change was because there was no sticker in the truck, but the OLM said 9% when I changed it.

Edited by fondupot
edit

Mine doesn’t use any oil, also I like the new plastic pan, it’s a lot easier to service, the oil filter location is awesome too. If I were you I wouldn’t go by the oil change warning built into the truck. DI turbos are hard on oil. I’d do 3-5k oil change intervals max, and use a good quality synthetic oil (the m1 you used in the video is what I use). I’ve also noticed that most dealers and quick lube places short you on oil, often up to a quart. I’d keep an eye on it and see if it is really using oil. When I did my first oil change and put in 6 quarts it showed a little high on the dipstick so I’m not sure if a good amount gets captured in there? I watch my oil like a hawk and mine definitely doesn’t use any but I also have the new 2.7 ho engine so might be different? Judging by the auto quest oil filter you took off the previous owner wasn’t to concerned with the quality of the parts or had it done at a quick lube joint, I wouldn’t trust that the correct amount of oil was used but would definitely watch it.

Edited by Texcl2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Texcl2 said:

Mine doesn’t use any oil, also I like the new plastic pan, it’s a lot easier to service, the oil filter location is awesome too. If I were you I wouldn’t go by the oil change warning built into the truck. DI turbos are hard on oil. I’d do 3-5k oil change intervals max, and use a good quality synthetic oil (the m1 you used in the video is what I use). I’ve also noticed that most dealers and quick lube places short you on oil, often up to a quart. I’d keep an eye on it and see if it is really using oil. When I did my first oil change and put in 6 quarts it showed a little high on the dipstick so I’m not sure if a good amount gets captured in there? I watch my oil like a hawk and mine definitely doesn’t use any but I also have the new 2.7 ho engine so might be different? Judging by the auto quest oil filter you took off the previous owner wasn’t to concerned with the quality of the parts or had it done at a quick lube joint, I wouldn’t trust that the correct amount of oil was used but would definitely watch it.

Yea, I usually change the oil in my vehicles when the OLM breaches 20%. In my experience that is usually around 5000 miles per oil change.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on it. And it wont be getting the quick lube joint treatment anymore. In the end though, it is a company truck, so if there ends up being an issue with it, won't land on me to fix/replace etc. But I do rely on the truck for my livelihood so I treat it like my own.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, customboss said:

https://www.sae.org/news/2018/09/borgwarner-dual-volute-turbo-design

Can't find MM size but 22 PSI is significant for a stock 4 popper. 

yes I believe I read the ecoboosts from ford run up to 18 psi for comparison, that's another reason I'm not sure why guys would keep looking for power on these 22 h.o.'s, seem like a recipe for shorter engine life and or failures, I'll be leaving mine bone stock

and subject change to follow the oil consumption stuff here, mine doesn't appear to use any oil, it was a top of line on dipstick new, then checked before it's first oil change at 5300 kms (3300 miles) and it was the same level, and it's at that after first dealer change with my supplied Amsoil OE which from this thread sounds like the hot ticket, will follow the 5000 mile interval advice which is 8000 kms but I'll likely go every 7500 kms which is an interval I used on the past couple pentastars I had

• Like 1

20 hours ago, customboss said:

the link at the bottom had a contact for Kathy on these so I sent her an email as well to see if she can give us the answer, hate not knowing how big my unit is? 😉

• Like 1