2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

1 hour ago, 4banger said:

well comparing the n/a 2.5 to the 2.7t was like comparing a Honda Civic to an Acura TL, should at least compare things in the same league, even though you're making 36%+ more power potential with the low tune 2.7t putting it in a totally different league  than the 2.5...being able to run on 2 cylinders with variable boost flexibility makes the 2.7t a 1.35 liter engine at times of low power needs with lots of torque down low allowing 2 cylinders to work more than one would think, so I will disagree that the low tune 2.7t can't beat the n/a 2.5 on economy while being in a completely different league for work potential, it is more dynamic, more flexible, 1.35 liter on lower boost to essentially n/a 3.5 v6 power output levels, I'm sure what I just said will bear true once the low tune 2.7t hits the market and we see some economy reports on these running empty

I haven't seen what you tow, what do you tow? I know my 3000 lb home built cargo conversion adventure pod would easily be pulled by the low tune 2.7t. It's got 20 ft/lbs more torque than my gladiator pentastar at my elevation which gets it around just fine and it would have that at lower rpm to boot, the pentastar likes its revs, I would take the low tune 2.7t over a n/a v6 everyday of the week and twice on sundays 

totally agree the perfect truck doesn't exist, I got pretty close with mine but perfect would be a 6 speed manual transmission, fairly heavy flywheel, a reasonably stout non-hydraulic clutch, and NO freaking rev hang, otherwise they nailed it lol, so I live with a damn slush box again...the motor though = half ton perfection, and in 390 ft/lb trim in a Colorado z71 would do everything equally in the smaller package as well, enjoying the space/comfort of the 6 seater full size though, so can't say I'd even consider the Colorado with the Silverado options and h.o. turbo's in basic trims, if I go back to mid size it would be to the gm 2.7t, the ford 2.3 single turbo inline 4 would be a fine choice but you can scratch any v6 twin turbo off my lists when inline single turbos are available, I'm after truck engines not car engines 😉

also, I almost went the zr2 2.8 diesel route when I got my 2020 gladiator, the manual transmission got that sale for fca, plus I'd have been off warranty immediately with the diesel, I would have had to go full delete, tow tune, aux. fuel tank and then live with the headaches I get from diesel exhaust fumes, it's all working out, the gm 2.7t is a far better choice than any diesel for anything I do as an outdoorsy dad with a single vehicle do all versatility approach, anyone looking for a solid gladiator manual on 37's with 4.88 axles? 😉 will be for sale soon, just gotta clean it up, the 2.7t stays

Just read you have a gladiator. Say no more 😂

• Haha 1

So has anyone had lifter problems with the 2.7? I haven’t heard of a single case. I wonder what they did differently to prevent it. Also my dealer said they couldnt source an engine block heater, I went on line to find one and sure enough none were available, anyone know where I might find one for the 2.7 ho engine?

Edited by Texcl2

16 minutes ago, Texcl2 said:

So has anyone had lifter problems with the 2.7? I haven’t heard of a single case. I wonder what they did differently to prevent it. Also my dealer said they couldnt source an engine block heater, I went on line to find one and sure enough none were available, anyone know where I might find one for the 2.7 ho engine?

There’s less of them.

3 hours ago, Texcl2 said:

Yea, its DOHC and it doesn't have AFM lifters.

The 2.7 uses a sliding camshaft profile mechanism for its cylinder deactivation. 

GM has block heaters.  You need the following for a 2022 REFRESH with the HO:  12586687 heater, 84964461 cord, 84964464 harness and 84564686 cable.  

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, newdude said:

Yea, its DOHC and it doesn't have AFM lifters.

The 2.7 uses a sliding camshaft profile mechanism for its cylinder deactivation. 

GM has block heaters.  You need the following for a 2022 REFRESH with the HO:  12586687 heater, 84964461 cord, 84964464 harness and 84564686 cable.  

Don't own one but a little research tells me that in addition to DOHC the 2.7 turbo has 4 valves per cylinder so yeah, as many lifters as a pushrod V-8.

1 minute ago, Texcl2 said:

It’s the block heater different for the 2.7 HO and the old 2.7?

Depends on the year.  2021-2022 and the 2022 refresh share the same parts above.  2019-2020 are different except for the heater element.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, the wanderer said:

I'm not comparing the engines per se, I'm looking at the total package; what do I get, what I pay, and what do I compromise. My issue is not that the 2.7 is a poor engine, it's a great engine in the right package (like a base half ton) but the new colorado doesn't have that package that interests me. As I said, the new colorado doesn't have an engine choice that gives you best in class performance, or if you want best in class MPG, or if you want best in class reliability etc etc).

Based on my priorities, if I wanted a quarter ton I'd have to get the current canyon with the 2.8 diesel. If I had to replace my truck with another half ton, I'd get another ram (although the 3.0 diesel with the 10 speed is the better drivetrain, I'm not paying 15 to 20K more for a bunch of other stuff included in the package that doesn't interest me). If I needed a heavy duty it would be the ford with the 7.3/10 speed. These 3 picks of mine are still compromises, there are many things I like about other trucks, but I can only pick one.

I think the new canyon will not get that good mpg. If it turns out I'm wrong, perfect I may reconsider, but I've given actual fuelly reports to explain my opinion and suspicions.

best in class performance? I don't get this, don't you have your own requirements/needs? most of what's offered today can easily exceed most of our requirements and needs...and the following year a competitor will offer the next 'best in class' performance engine so you'll be upgrading trucks every year trying to keep up...makes no sense to not choose what YOU need

I'd love to know what competitor to the new Colorado's has the 'best in class performance' motor, do tell please.

You can't comment yet on what the low tune 2.7t will do economy wise, it may very well have best in class economy when all is revealed, being able to go down to half that displacement with low boost will make it very dynamic in range and it may also end up being the reliability champ also...just like under worked big blocks used to be known to run forever. How could you every buy a vehicle if you're waiting for them to come out the door with 20 year histories and reputations? Super unrealistic, so you do what most of us do, learn how to predict the future based on what's being offered to all we've learned over time.

I already can tell you from moving my full size brick around with the 2.7 h.o. that I've never seen economy like that, and now I'm lifted 4" and I'm still getting better than mid size v6 suv economy, empty city and highway, it's like the lift was unaffected due to all that torque low available from the boost (above atmospheric air fuel mixture efficiency) and I half expected this to be the case and here it is proving true. So far the only time it's sucked v8 economy was towing as that's the only time I've asked v8 power from it.

You can no longer compare these engines just based on max displacement...they are so variable now in displacements, boost is a constant variable that will ramp to ask, then valve trains that can go low to high lift. So you have a few different aspects in engines now that ramp to task it's like having 3 engines in 1. So you may need to adapt your comparison strategies to account for how dynamic and flexible these engines are now, the turbos offer more of this range, naturally aspirated can only go so far. Yes they can ramp up to v8 power and of course they will suck v8 gas to do it, but they can also ramp down to economy tiny displacement light boost engines for the majority of time. It's a whole new world in these 21st century engines. 

Also, the hurricane inline 6 should be a nice one, standard output 400 hp and 450 ft/lbs torque, then the high out put around 500 and 475...trade offs as you say, one will last longer than the other and get better economy. But both will do all the work any half ton would ever require with these 21st century power levels. Inline 6 with 2 turbos not as truck like simple as the inline 4 long stroke big turbo...being inline 6 at 3.0 liter something tells me it's going to be a short stroke motor and more car like power delivery seeing as hp/torque numbers are so close to one another, I'll take the long stroke big jug 2.7t from gm all day long over that one as well, hopefully they have some cylinder shut down abilities for economy running and light loads to compete. Ford wouldn't make my list at all with it's v6 tt power plants. And gosh is dodge/fca ever late to the party here with that hurricane, now they will need a few years to prove no flies on the new motor...gm absolutely saw the future better than the other 2 here imo by creating the closest formula to one of the most legendary 4 cylinder engines around (4bt cummins). They have a few years under their belt now with the least amount of flies in all the half ton motors available it appears...it's looking like another legend in the making and gm is good at bringing legends to the table in motor land.

Having said all that...and trying to teach the old dog new tricks ;)....what are your truck needs? What do you tow, how many people do you have to move, what activities do you do? have you got a list of minimal requirements?

Maybe that's the approach to take rather than trying to figure out if a manufacturer can tweak your nipples most perfectly one year only to have them tweaked even harder by another manufacturer the next year? Your weighting of certain things seems out of whack...you need to make some lists with better weighting of priorities perhaps?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

Just read you have a gladiator. Say no more 😂

ya I drank the koolaid, it is a unicorn freedom machine like no other and it's been so much fun with the stick, exhaust/intake, gears etc. that I sold the motorbike...and it did it all, wildly versatile and fun machine, sadly the new pentastars are not as good as the older ones, came out of the gate throwing misfire codes (right bank), others were trying to chase them down and having motors tore apart, new cams etc. and drive back off the lot throwing same codes again, so I didn't follow suit and waited, not to mention my dealer didn't seem very interested in chasing it down either, then it started eating coolant or may have been from the start, again they didn't want to chase it down, so we kept going, needed coolant added twice....2 years and 5 months and 78,000 kms it finally couldn't go down the highway, started losing power, and cylinders at times about 2 year mark, but on last camping trip in may it finally could only limp itself to highway for tow to nearest dealer...new motor, puking oil back up towards intake, they said motor dusted and sticking me with bill which this saga will continue as I just got it back as I've got lots of data and had been commenting on the misfire codes from day 1, but that's their knee jerk reaction to warranty these days, I digress, if it had the pentastar from my 2014 ram I'm sure I wouldn't even be on this forum, would keep rocking the jeep truck until it gave out, now that it gave out so soon and has new motor it's probably going to be rock solid but I'll be leaving the brand for how they are choosing to handle it...it will cost them so much more than that motor once we're done on the forums and social media, they still have a chance though, will start up with jeep cares soon and see if they want to back the dealer and district warranty reps play?

where was the hurricane with this one eh? lol, or slap this 2.7t into it? of course then it wouldn't get a manual transmission perhaps but maybe with the jeep it would happen? anyway, great truck, bad motor, thanks for the manual trans fca, that's all you get from me now

back to the regularly scheduled program then 😉

Edited by 4banger

2 minutes ago, 4banger said:

ya I drank the koolaid, it is a unicorn freedom machine like no other and it's been so much fun with the stick, exhaust/intake, gears etc. that I sold the motorbike...and it did it all, wildly versatile and fun machine, sadly the new pentastars are not as good as the older ones, came out of the gate throwing misfire codes (right bank), others were trying to chase them down and having motors tore apart, new cams etc. and drive back off the lot throwing same codes again, so I didn't follow suit and waited, not to mention my dealer didn't seem very interested in chasing it down either, then it started eating coolant or may have been from the start, again they didn't want to chase it down, so we kept going, needed coolant added twice....2 years and 5 months and 78,000 kms it finally couldn't go down the highway, started losing power, and cylinders at times about 2 year mark, but on last camping trip in may it finally could only limp itself to highway for tow to nearest dealer...new motor, puking oil back up towards intake, they said motor dusted and sticking me with bill which this saga will continue as I just got it back as I've got lots of data and had been commenting on the misfire codes from day 1, but that's their knee jerk reaction to warranty these days, I digress, if it had the pentastar from my 2014 ram I'm sure I wouldn't even be on this forum, would keep rocking the jeep truck until it gave out, now that it gave out so soon and has new motor it's probably going to be rock solid but I'll be leaving the brand for how they are choosing to handle it...it will cost them so much more than that motor once we're done on the forums and social media, they still have a chance though, will start up with jeep cares soon and see if they want to back the dealer and district warranty reps play?

back to the regularly scheduled program then 😉

I have up on FCA after 2 jeeps

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

I have up on FCA after 2 jeeps

ya I was a chevy guy for a long time, last one was 2013 (5.3 6spd) that kept for a year before going to the ram pentastar which I loved but a red light runner took the nose off at the 5 year mark pushing us into the gladiator manual so the kids could learn on the stick (one down and one to go but may sell before the second one gets learners here in December) but was probably in chevy the most of my life and definitely for the 20 years prior to 2013 (mostly 3/4 ton manuals with the 5.7 but a couple half tons in there too), touch wood, things are looking good so far

Edited by 4banger

I’ve always have a Chevy around. I’ll probably never have a new one again. Love my Avalanche. I’m always looking for a clean old one. I could do a 2 door Tahoe or truck again. Even a trailblazer ss again. There’s a possibility I’d do a single cab 4cylinder if the right one comes around and you can tune them. Lowered, tuned, geared. 

• Like 2