In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

yes I believe I read the ecoboosts from ford run up to 18 psi for comparison, that's another reason I'm not sure why guys would keep looking for power on these 22 h.o.'s, seem like a recipe for shorter engine life and or failures, I'll be leaving mine bone stock

and subject change to follow the oil consumption stuff here, mine doesn't appear to use any oil, it was a top of line on dipstick new, then checked before it's first oil change at 5300 kms (3300 miles) and it was the same level, and it's at that after first dealer change with my supplied Amsoil OE which from this thread sounds like the hot ticket, will follow the 5000 mile interval advice which is 8000 kms but I'll likely go every 7500 kms which is an interval I used on the past couple pentastars I had

Some will probably call BS on this. But a friend of a friend was/is an engineer on the engine. I talked to him a few weeks ago. He is confident the non-HO version can handle more boost without reliability taking a hit. The HO version was built so down the line they can offer it in many vehicles across the board and offer tiers (like the Colorado) and preparing for even higher performance versions. It’s entirely possible they will offer paid software updates/tunes to unlock more from the HO.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Some will probably call BS on this. But a friend of a friend was/is an engineer on the engine. I talked to him a few weeks ago. He is confident the non-HO version can handle more boost without reliability taking a hit. The HO version was built so down the line they can offer it in many vehicles across the board and offer tiers (like the Colorado) and preparing for even higher performance versions. It’s entirely possible they will offer paid software updates/tunes to unlock more from the HO.  

Up until recently and about 40 years myself and my family modified our trucks. Our most fun and fastest we’re diesels from 88 until the mid 2000s. My nephew daily drove 4WD Ram that ran 11s. Our gas engine trucks got super chargers. Our rewards to ourselves for long hours and miles driven building our business. We never lost an engine from modifying. Some transmissions. Most engines can handle mods for more power. There far from the limit stock. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Indeed, the Cadillac tune is 325 HP and 380 TQ. Exact same early non HO version with different fuel and boost mapping. Requires 91 avg octane or higher. 
Looked into getting that installed but dealer wouldn’t, couldn’t. 

Edited by customboss
Add premium fuel requirement
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, customboss said:

Indeed, the Cadillac tune is 325 HP and 380 TQ. Exact same early non HO version with different fuel and boost mapping. Requires 91 avg octane or higher. 
Looked into getting that installed but dealer wouldn’t, couldn’t. 

and now we get 310/430 on 87 octane, although the gen 1 tune was no slouch in the ike tow tests etc. so it's not like it's chopped liver, they may run the longest of them all except the low tune in the new colorado/canyons...that should be a longevity champ

so you guys likely right, there may come some 91 octane tunes etc., I would bet they focus more on a gas converted 3.0 inline 6 for the power wars with the competitors and not take the 2.7 much further, I'd watch for that 3.0 to come in gas and replace the v8's 😉 , the v8's may get turbos and stuffed in the 2500/3500's as they will be too much power for 1/2 ton components/drivelines

Edited by 4banger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

Can you imagine a subscription plan to keep your higher power tune active?  That’s the way the world is going especially how they are forcing Onstar now. 

slippery slope, there won't be no chip in my hand...don't even get me started on this stuff, I do research for a living and a hobby 😉

there won't be any connectivity to my vehicle to which I am solely responsible and liable for according to my insurance, so yes, the onstar is disconnected with onstar, when I pull the dash apart to put the auto start stop in I'll find where that antenna goes into to the head unit and pull it there physically as well, if not pull headliner and disconnect there as well, the collision avoidance crap is turned off, i would lose my mind if my vehicle auto stopped for god knows what the sensors might see etc., no surprises here please and thanks I take piloting 2.5 tons of rapid death through public spaces seriously, an alert and present driver, those features are for those who'd rather get their drivers license in a Cracker Jack box and have zero concept of the seriousness or privilege it is to pilot something this big and heavy at these speeds through public spaces, some people just call it driving and think nothing of it, want to nap in their teslas on the way to work...absolute insanity and completely oblivious to what's behind all that, the beauty of those Tesla drivers is they pay for a car they don't actually own, they can be taken control of from someone else at any point in time, unreal to me that people buy that 'convenience is good for you' sales pitch and zero idea why they want you in these things and who's actually got control of it whenever they see fit.....so no live updates, they can plug it in at the dealer, no one will be able to control any part of my ride wirelessly until they are named on the liability with my insurance...capiche? 😉

Edited by 4banger

5 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

Working from home I get bored and order stuff online. I got this little 2.7L badge on eBay. Kinda matches the Silverado font and goes with my black/chrome scheme. I’m proud of the little piece of engineering under my hood. 

DE52A296-42D7-4E0A-917F-6508B5F388DA.jpeg

6AA33AF3-7CE6-4B5D-9E74-B41DD2B4721F.jpeg

You’re not alone...amazon.ca

90128961-342F-439D-BA92-C14F640CAE4B.thumb.png.74692fb82ea2b9c3b8cdcb7b9e01d8db.pngB96753F7-8F8F-4D51-9A81-BF9E2C58DA93.thumb.png.652560fab4089d7a42563623444d790c.png

Edited by 4banger
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Texcl2 said:

I’m surprised nobody make a 2.7 turbo or a 2.7 HO badge for fender.

Me too. I think it’s weird the Sierra’s have a plaque on the side for Duramax, 5.3, 6.2 but if you have a 2.7 it’s just plain black. Like people would be embarrassed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Texcl2 said:

I’m surprised nobody make a 2.7 turbo or a 2.7 HO badge for fender.

There are other 2.7L engines out there so badges are available, search amazon/ebay. And in turbo searches lots also, the written turbo you see on Porsche's are out there. But high output doesn’t come up often.

25 minutes ago, 4banger said:

There are other 2.7L engines out there so badges are available, search amazon/ebay. And in turbo searches lots also, the written turbo you see on Porsche's are out there. But high output doesn’t come up often.

Yeah we are talking about Chevy making OEM badges.