Oil Recommendations?

Look around this site for an answer to your question.

Lots of opinions about oil and filters.

Lots of different oil and filters being used.

Answer to your question, use what you like as long as it meets spec.

:)

14 minutes ago, Destroyr72 said:

Hey guys,

Hope this is the right place to ask this. I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3L that is due for an oil change. What oil do you guys recommend? (Brand/weight). Thanks for the answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to GMT.

Any oil that is on the dexos®1 Gen 2 list will work just fine.  Most you can get at Walmart.  Just make sure it list dexos®1 Gen 2 on the bottle.  As for weight 0w-20 is the preferred weight according to the owners manual.

Welcome to GMT.

Any oil that is on the dexos[emoji2400]1 Gen 2 list will work just fine.  Most you can get at Walmart.  Just make sure it list dexos[emoji2400]1 Gen 2 on the bottle.  As for weight 0w-20 is the preferred weight according to the owners manual.

Ok thanks. This says dexos1 but not gen 2. Will it say it next to dexos1?

There's this magical little booklet in the console or glove box, usually referred to as the "owner's manual" that shows has the specs for the fluids, along with most everything else you need to know about your truck.  If there's not one in the truck, they can be found within about 30 seconds online. This screenshot is directly from the 2017 Silverado owner's manual

Screenshot_2019-04-06 Owner's Manual - Owner's Manual pdf.png

Edited by dsr611

There's this magical little booklet in the console or glove box, usually referred to as the "owner's manual" that shows has the specs for the fluids, along with most everything else you need to know about your truck.  If there's not one in the truck, they can be found within about 30 seconds online. This screenshot is directly from the 2017 Silverado owner's manual
5ca88d3375b45_Screenshot_2019-04-06OwnersManual-OwnersManualpdf.thumb.png.e33455fb3e6ef823d2f963d22e3fb4ad.png

I was referring as to what brand do people prefer. I’ve done a lot of reading on engine oil and sludge and I wanted peoples opinion on which they thought was the best oil and wouldn’t create sludge. As far as viscosity I was wondering if people used a different weight. On my Volvo it calls for 5w30 but 0w40 works much better in it and all of us in the Volvo community recommend 0w40 over 5w30. But thanks for the help.

As stated just use the recommended weight and Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil.

As far a s sludge IMO this is more related to how long between oil changes with today's spec oil.

You can use oil that costs $4 a quart to $12 a quart.

Off the shelf Mobil 1, Penzoil, Quaker  State, Castrol etc.

Better quality comes with  a cost, Amsoil, Redline.

I have used the name brands for years buying at Walmart due to the best prices.

I"m old school and do 3 K mile oil and filter changes, never had an engine failure in 50 years and I buy used vehicles.

Oil filters the same. Lots of choices.

Pick ones that you like.

:)

After the numerous threads on this subject, you'll find just about every oil out there recommended. Each person has there own preferences about oil and viscosity. You can't go wrong with the name brand stuff in synthetic. Penn. Plat, Mobil, etc.... Even Wallys brand meets the specs, iirc. Schaeffer oil is another along with Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple.  Pick one that meets the specs and use it. Sludge is not an issue with synthetics and proper filter and change intervals. We've got engines with 200K that still look clean as a whistle

Why not use the brand you use in Volvo? You have confidence in it already. Then it's a matter of viscosity that you're comfortable with.  You're not going to be able to make the same statement about this site that all of this community will recommend one product.

Plenty of threads and advice to read already available on this site if you look for it, 'cause this subject is continually beaten to death.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/210260-oil-weight/

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/221629-oil-recommendation/

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=oil+recommendations&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=www.gm-trucks.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Edited by txab
  • Like 1

Question. What do you know about motor oil? No, actually, where did you learn what you know about motor oil? Much better question.

I got up to nearly 500 words then stopped an smiled. That oil you defend with such vigor….question for you. What is in that bottle?

Whatever it is that you think you know, that you do not know.

We can disuse or argue till the cows come home over chemistry, over our personal observations and lifelong practices but we cannot say with any certainty what is in that bottle.

When a company like ExxonMobil can allow the public to believe their flagship is a PAO for over a decade after it no longer was?

Not what’s in your wallet, eh? What’s in you motor oil? Trust them? You meant the ones lying to you?

Trade secrets. That’s the claim for not putting a label on the bottle or jug like you get with a box of cereal. How long do you think it took say…Chevron to determine the exact chemical makeup of Mobil’s flagship? Who is it a secret from?

IR Spectroscopy, GC and few titrations. About 24 hours work from sample to result. The only person ignorant of the product they are using is the consumer. And why? You have your own refinery?

:lurk:

Edited by Grumpy Bear

10 hours ago, txab said:

Let's not turn this into another 10 + page thread on oil since there currently is when active.

Boss, I'm  actually just pointing out the futility of these discussions of which true enough, I've been a part. :sigh: Guilty. 

New Shell Gas Truck synthetic motor oil.  Contains the detergents/additive pack of their diesel oil in an oil specially formulated for gasoline engines.  It's Dexos generation 2 rated.  Made for any age vehicle, but will stand up to extended drain intervals, towing/hauling, and extreme use.  Shell engineers say it's better than their own Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability oils.  You can buy it at WalMart, Autozone, and NAPA, amongst other places.  

Edited by MaverickZ71