2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

4 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

5 Month or did you mean 5 year extended warranty? The truck already has a 5 year 60k power train warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

GM rep thinks it’s respectable to add 5mo 15k mi to my warranty. I was so livid the general manager of the dealership hung up on me. 

GM rep thinks it’s respectable to add 5mo 15k mi to my warranty. I was so livid the general manager of the dealership hung up on me. 
In reality their only legal requirement is to repair it. Goodwill is up to the district rep and seems to be inconsistent depending on the issue. I can tell you from experience you will get further once you are past 30 days out of service as you have lemon law leverage on your side.

Did you request to speak with the district rep directly?

33 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

In reality their only legal requirement is to repair it. Goodwill is up to the district rep and seems to be inconsistent depending on the issue. I can tell you from experience you will get further once you are past 30 days out of service as you have lemon law leverage on your side.

Did you request to speak with the district rep directly?

I haven’t. Truck won’t hit lemon law. They estimate it’ll be done Tuesday. Didn’t even tell me they had made a decision to just go with the repair. 

13 hours ago, Zbass_10 said:

Some pretty bad news on my end tonight. GM and the dealer has decided they only want to replace my oil pump and bearings, offering me a 5 month extended warranty or I can pay $3k out of pocket for a comparable new truck. 

Without a lot of engine knowledge on my part, I was told the dealership drove the truck and it was stalling out from low oil. If the engine was blown could they have driven the truck or would they have blown the engine by trying to pull it into the shop? 

I would try to meet them at 1.5k for new or ask for a crate motor. If repair is done, then the 1.5k. They can resell " their" well repaired truck. The 3k sounds like they are trying to cover their butts on the resale of your truck. Maybe worth $ to have a lawyer look at the deal. IF they drove your truck with low oil and now trying to give you their repair of their screw up.

• Like 1

Many states that have lemon laws allow you to get a new truck but you have to pay "X" amount per mile for usage of the vehicle while it was in service...at least that's how it works in Florida.

For Florida....

(Number of miles driven divided by 120,000) X Vehicle Price

Example...

Let's say you drove it 3000 miles and paid 50K.

3000/120000 = .025

.025 X 50000 = $1,250

You'd be on the hook for $1250.

That said, depending on how many miles you have and your states calculation for usage, the 3K the dealership wants may be reasonable...or they could be sticking it to you. In any event, it could be a place to begin negotiations.

I been thru tho with mine with 12k on odo. I was driving on the highway at 55mph, Low oil pressure light came on, pulled  over and shut the engine 20 second later.... I called GM to have it tow to nearest Chevy dealer that same night (Friday), Saturday I personally went to the dealer, spoke with service adviser and told them not to start the truck cuz it looks like the engine run out of oil and same day I opened a case with GM representative. Monday came and I personally spoke with The tech in charge of my truck and he said the oil cooling line popped and they were getting new one   Today.  Tuesday came and I got my truck by the end of the day. Hope it doesn’t happen again ?

I was told today it could be the end of next week before I get the truck back. I'm trying to be patient but wow.. the engine got here late Monday or early Tuesday, and the old one was out before the new one arrived. Can it really take nearly 10 working days to install a new engine? 

Edited by Shawn O'Leary

On 5/3/2019 at 10:04 PM, Zbass_10 said:

I haven’t. Truck won’t hit lemon law. They estimate it’ll be done Tuesday. Didn’t even tell me they had made a decision to just go with the repair. 

Are they giving you your truck back today? I'm told they've been making good progress with the engine install on mine and I might get it back today; if not - tomorrow. Then its time to negotiate on warranty extension and the like. This has been a really shitty experience right after shelling out for a brand new truck. 

Just now, Shawn O'Leary said:

Are they giving you your truck back today? I'm told they've been making good progress with the engine install on mine and I might get it back today; if not - tomorrow. Then its time to negotiate on warranty extension and the like. This has been a really shitty experience right after shelling out for a brand new truck. 

I am not.  Got a call today explaining that it also needs a new starter and wiring possibly, they're overnighting the parts.  Everyone even at their shop is telling me that Chevy boned me with a rebuild bearings were all shot and scoring on the crank.    This is insanity, just gonna keep having problems with the truck.  

On 5/5/2019 at 5:42 AM, steve841 said:

It was mentioned earlier, but file a complaint ..

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If it does become a recall, I'm betting everyone who has experienced a failure will be in a much better position in the long run.

I just got an email from the NHTSA asking for more detail, pictures, etc. It said they'd be raising the issue with GM at a meeting next month and asked that I send back a reply authorizing them to share my contact information, VIN number, details of the failure, etc. Hopefully something comes from it...

EDIT: In my complaint I linked this thread so they could see that it is at least a somewhat common problem. 

Edited by Shawn O'Leary
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 8:11 PM, UGADawgs said:

Do the green lines indicate they have been tug tested? Or do any of the failed crimps have green marks too?

Ya; I'm trying figure out exactly what that means. Are the green lines being put on after the first 'free' oil change; are they doing a pre-emptive look see? 

1 hour ago, Karen C said:

Ya; I'm trying figure out exactly what that means. Are the green lines being put on after the first 'free' oil change; are they doing a pre-emptive look see? 

No oil change yet and mine have a green line.  I know the dealer didn't make them either.