2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

50 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Delay. Delay. Delay... 30 days .. lemon law. Done

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I hear ya...just sucks when you bought the #1 truck on your hit list.  Id want the exact same thing without all the BS in between

The unfortunate part is any kind of pro-active action (add a hose clamp, use real oil lines with AN fittings, etc) will probably void the warranty. Gonna crawl under my truck tonight. 360 miles on it. Runs great....would love to keep it that way. 

I hear ya...just sucks when you bought the #1 truck on your hit list.  Id want the exact same thing without all the BS in between
I guess my point is, once you hit the 30 day limit for lemon law, your leverage go ways up for asking for things like extended coverage and maintenance plans. Use that to your advantage to keep your truck and have GM give you an extended warranty for 100k miles.

The devil you know vs the devil you dont....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've spoken to a good friend who is a 30 + year tech at a North Jersey Chevrolet dealer. So far he has seen two '19 Silverados with blown oil cooler hoses. He said to look for a yellow witness stripe that becomes visible as the hose begins to squeeze out of the crimp. His dealership is looking at each Silverado that comes in for the free oil change.

For the record my 9/18 5.3 Ft Wayne truck shows no sign leakage or line distortion at 6500 miles. There are green inspection stripes on my hoses as well.

IMG_1114.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, Bobv07662 said:

I've spoken to a good friend who is a 30 + year tech at a North Jersey Chevrolet dealer. So far he has seen two '19 Silverados with blown oil cooler hoses. He said to look for a yellow witness stripe that becomes visible as the hose begins to squeeze out of the crimp. His dealership is looking at each Silverado that comes in for the free oil change.

For the record my 9/18 5.3 Ft Wayne truck shows no sign leakage or line distortion at 6500 miles. There are green inspection stripes on my hoses as well.

IMG_1114.JPG

Are they visible from the top or is this picture taken from underneath? Thanks for this information!

18 hours ago, Bobv07662 said:

IMG_1114.JPG

I have the same inspection marks on my lines.  Ft Wayne build date 12-12-18 Custom Trail boss Z71 5.3. 2900 miles no sign of failure.

Edited by K455

No sign of leakage on my LT TB  2/19 build.   But I’d sure feel better to replace these lines with something else. I work for a Cat dealer and have access to any hose and fitting I could need.  However ...... I asked local dealer service dept about replacing them myself,  He told me he wasn’t sure if it would void warranty or not and don’t worry because it’s not common and he’s never seen it.   Does anyone know for sure ?

If my truck lines fail I’ll run it until the engine seizes and or oil sprays on hot exhaust and truck most likely will burn to the ground.   

Edited by Radchad
  • Like 2

Roanoke, IN build. 400 miles on 5.3 DFM. Lines seem kinda soft to the touch, almost squishy. But no signs of any leaks or yellow marks. The green line is certainly visible. Couldn't help but notice the front cross member has a big ding in it, and only primer around that. Can't see it with the skid plate on but sheesh lol

1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by TeamSaris

Once I got past warranty I would either get new one made or plug the holes if I wasn’t towing. Probably before too long there will be factor replacement hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some pretty bad news on my end tonight. GM and the dealer has decided they only want to replace my oil pump and bearings, offering me a 5 month extended warranty or I can pay $3k out of pocket for a comparable new truck. 

Without a lot of engine knowledge on my part, I was told the dealership drove the truck and it was stalling out from low oil. If the engine was blown could they have driven the truck or would they have blown the engine by trying to pull it into the shop? 

If the engine still turned over it wasn’t “blown”.  As in seized up anyhow.   Truck was problem stalling r shuting off front the computer telling it to because very low oil pressure 

what bearings are they going to replace?  Should be at minimum all crank, rod, thrust , cam bearings. 

Edited by Radchad