2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

16 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Also does GM put any special adative to the oil for new engine break-in?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I already looked into this, the answer is no, they just use their 0w-20 that is dexos1 spec.

4 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

That is great to hear. On the bright side, you got a free oil change out of it. Did they remember to reset your oil life to 100%?

Ha ha ... yes indeed. sadly the cab stinks of motor oil. I've got a baking soda based air freshener in there now. I have to check, but I suspect the old oil may have drained past an air intake or something. Might just change out the cabin air filter just in case. 

If this is a wide-spread problem, it will become a mandated recall. This is a HUGE safety concern if an oil line lets go at speed (loss of vehicle control, fire, etc). 

Edited by RE1

Break in oil/additives for break-in haven't been used in quite some time.  however- I do suggest replacing the oil and oil filter at about 2000-3000 miles to get the "break-in" shavings and metal out of there, and replace the front and rear diff fluid and transfer case at 15,000 miles.  Tranny flushed at 30,000 miles or sooner.  That is- if you plan on hanging onto the truck for 100,000+ miles. 

On 4/28/2019 at 7:35 AM, kniespolice said:

Guys, bought my first truck ever Friday night, drove it 100 miles yesterday. Wife went to take truck and as she is pulling out of driveway noticed oil was all over ground under truck. I've had the truck for 1 day. No warnings or anything on dash, almost like it failed by sitting idle in driveway.

My friend is a BMW mechanic he took a look and guess it was oil cooler line. He also checked oil level and almost nothing on dip stick. Now I found this forum and it appears to be a widespread issue.

I am so nervous I just paid 34 K for a POS.

Will call dealer Monday and get towed. Any chance at extended warranty to cover possible engine damage?

So sorry this happened to you tool; GMC says no extended warranty unless it happens a number of times. 

On 5/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, RE1 said:

If this is a wide-spread problem, it will become a mandated recall. This is a HUGE safety concern if an oil line lets go at speed (loss of vehicle control, fire, etc). 

As I mentioned before it was a huge safety problem for me stuck on the road with no shoulder, on a tight turn, in the cold rain for an hour directing cars coming whilst waiting for the flat bed. 

1 hour ago, Karen C said:

After all is said and done GMC says no extended warranty unless it happens a number of times. *%$#@##&()*&^$#!!!

I was actually offered an extended 5mo/15Kmi warranty on my truck and I believe it was the GM rep in charge of my repair that made that offer.  Not great but not nothing either...dealer is still working on buying me out of the truck.  

7 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Just thinking out loud here, do you think the new autostop feature could be contributing to the line failures? All those extra starts and sudden pressure spikes?

I'd be surprised if that was the case with mine...the start/stop is disabled at low temperatures so the start stop never even engaged for most of the  4,600 miles that I put on my truck before the line went.  

11 hours ago, Colossus said:

Break in oil/additives for break-in haven't been used in quite some time.  however- I do suggest replacing the oil and oil filter at about 2000-3000 miles to get the "break-in" shavings and metal out of there, and replace the front and rear diff fluid and transfer case at 15,000 miles.  Tranny flushed at 30,000 miles or sooner.  That is- if you plan on hanging onto the truck for 100,000+ miles. 

was wondering this...I just hit 4000 miles computer says I'm at 47% oil life! wtf?

1 hour ago, tomleo67 said:

was wondering this...I just hit 4000 miles computer says I'm at 47% oil life! wtf?

That tells me your next oil change should be around 8k , which sounds right to me 

What is your concern ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

That tells me your next oil change should be around 8k , which sounds right to me 

What is your concern ? 

my concern is this is my first oil change...8k seems like a lot to me... the post I quoted mentioned changing oil/filter for the 1st time at 2000-3000 so I was Just wondering is all... I called dealer and was told first oil change should be at 20% or 6 months for my truck.

It is a lot.  Unless it is a premium oil filter, you should not be going over 5000 miles on the oil change.  That is why I pick 5000 miles on a full synthetic oil change using a NAPA Gold/WIX Gold filter.  Oil change and tire rotations every 5000 miles.. I think it works out great!!