2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

I am really glad I saw this thread AFTER I picked up the truck and got home from a 1500 mile road trip from the dealership. Do we have a consensus of approx how many trucks have been affected vs how many have been produced? Not even sure what to look out for. When I go get the first oil change I will for sure be bringing it up.  I upgraded from a 12 year old Tundra with 270k miles and this was the truck of my dreams! 19 Trailboss LT 5.3. 

My luck would be I’d be in a traffic jam doing 70 in the middle lane of a 6 lane HWY in Atlanta. The engine gonna fry. No, nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 175vTrailbossLT said:

I am really glad I saw this thread AFTER I picked up the truck and got home from a 1500 mile road trip from the dealership. Do we have a consensus of approx how many trucks have been affected vs how many have been produced? Not even sure what to look out for. When I go get the first oil change I will for sure be bringing it up.  I upgraded from a 12 year old Tundra with 270k miles and this was the truck of my dreams! 19 Trailboss LT 5.3. 

Toyota's are infamous for oil line crimps failing. Yet I'm assuming you would probably own a Toyota without worrying about an oil line failing, right? So why worry about 4 or 5 oil lines out of hundreds of thousands of trucks on the road?

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

If this thread had hundreds of trucks with oil line failures, that would be cause for concern. 4 or 5 is nothing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Toyota's are infamous for oil line crimps failing. Yet I'm assuming you would probably own a Toyota without worrying about an oil line failing, right? So why worry about 4 or 5 oil lines out of hundreds of thousands of trucks on the road?

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

If this thread had hundreds of trucks with oil line failures, that would be cause for concern. 4 or 5 is nothing.

Amen. Thats very true man. Every car on the road had something for that specific model at that point in time. My gf's 2009 corolla blew up at 140k miles due to valve issues that some of those cars had that year. 

Edited by 175vTrailbossLT

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

My luck would be I’d be in a traffic jam doing 70 in the middle lane of a 6 lane HWY in Atlanta. The engine gonna fry. No, nothing to worry about.

about the same chance of getting hit by lightning or eaten by a shark...if ur lucks that bad then there's no saving you anyway but good luck!

about the same chance of getting hit by lightning or eaten by a shark...if ur lucks that bad then there's no saving you anyway but good luck!

I wouldn’t be as worried about the engine as I would be getting out of traffic. Just my luck is a figure of speech. I do pretty good making my own. I’ve been reading about a lot about lighting strikes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I think i mentioned this earlier in the thread......

The K2 trucks also have a history with the lines leaking due to bad crimps.

Mine were replaced under warranty last year.

Leaking yes, blowing out and dumping the oil out by the quart no or at least i don't remember seeing a single person ever have that issue on a 14-18 model here. Certainly not this many people in this short of time frame though.

And Shawn just realize that the PT warranty only covers specific items, most sensors, gaskets, bolted on items and things that nature are more than likely not covered under it.

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

Leaking yes, blowing out and dumping the oil out by the quart no or at least i don't remember seeing a single person ever have that issue on a 14-18 model here. Certainly not this many people in this short of time frame though.

And Shawn just realize that the PT warranty only covers specific items, most sensors, gaskets, bolted on items and things that nature are more than likely not covered under it.

Can the slow leaking not lead to a blowout?

Personally I feel the seepage is a precursor to disaster.

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Can the slow leaking not lead to a blowout?

Personally I feel the seepage is a precursor to disaster.

Not sure, but anything is possible i guess. So far i have not had any issues with the lines leaking in my 14, though i only have 31,000 miles on it. I remember my 95 s10 zr2 went through 6 sets of lines i think in the 120k/10 years i owned it, thankfully they never separated at the crimp though.

Edited by BIGDOGx

just happened to me on Friday. Was pulling camper when it spewed oil all over the highway. Only pulled it about 15 miles at 45mph. I shut off immediatly and had it towed. Dealership advised me this morning that the oil cooler line blew off and the truck wont turn over. They are waiting to hear back from GM before telling me more.  The truck has 17k on it.

25 minutes ago, TSM said:

just happened to me on Friday. Was pulling camper when it spewed oil all over the highway. Only pulled it about 15 miles at 45mph. I shut off immediatly and had it towed. Dealership advised me this morning that the oil cooler line blew off and the truck wont turn over. They are waiting to hear back from GM before telling me more.  The truck has 17k on it.

Hopefully its not the engine. The dealership that repaired my Sierra had seen this in a Silverado prior (they're a Chevy dealer). They said in that case the engine was undamaged but the failure to start was due to the oil pump burning out. Hopefully that's all it is and you're not looking at engine replacement as well. 

2 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

Yup... partly why it took so long to get them to agree to a CCL: I was negotiating over what items would and wouldn't be covered.