2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

4 hours ago, Jaime Datuin said:

Just got the truck back. Thank god no damages to engine. Still not impressed. Hope gm sees this forum and issues recalls for this. I was lucky. What about everyone else?

They see it and they dont care.  Recall $20,000,000.    Fixing those the die during warranty ...  $2,000,000

Simple game of math and it's all in their favor.   

*for those who cant help but say something about my numbers, it's just a demonstration.

Not surprised to find this forum.   On 5/6/20 I was driving my 2019 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss 33,000 miles when I got the "low oil warning turn engine off alarm"   It took me approx 30-45 seconds to find a safe place to pull over and shut the engine off.   Hoping it was just a bad sensor I tried to restart the engine and it just clicked.   Using the On Star to call Chevy road side assistant.  Which is a joke in itself but that is for a different forum.    I had my truck towed to the Chevy dealership that I have my normal maintenance done.    The next day I was informed that the engine oil cooling line crimp let loose and dumped all the oil and seized the engine and will require a replacement. 

I am so discouraged with the quality of American Trucks(if we can call them American)   I traded a 2017 Ford F150 for this Chevy Trail Boss because of numerous issues starting at 12,000 miles with the F150

It is sad to think that $50,000 cannot buy a reliable truck.

I hope everyone in this forum the best of luck.   The unknown of the future reliability of our trucks after having such a Major failure does not leave me a very good feeling.

Hi, everyone. We strive for complete customer satisfaction with every GM vehicle ans are sadden to see this is not the case. Our team welcomes the opportunity to further research this on our end. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN:  forum username/GM Trucks with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC. 

Aleigha W. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 10:00 AM, Smoothie said:

Does anyone know the range of build dates? Is it all or early like the window?   Wondering if it is widespread or changed already on trucks now.

My 6.2 Denali was built 2/20 in Mexico.  Took delivery on 5/22.  Happened to me on 5/26.  Less that 200 miles

Edited by Shiva

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 1:05 PM, GMCustomerService said:

Hi, everyone. We strive for complete customer satisfaction with every GM vehicle ans are sadden to see this is not the case. Our team welcomes the opportunity to further research this on our end. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN:  forum username/GM Trucks with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC. 

Aleigha W. 

I understand this is your job but really we all know their is nothing you can do here Aleigha.

This particular problem has been on going since the very first 2019's rolled off the train hauler, gm is not going to fix this, as was said it is cheaper to allow the part to fail and go bad and fix the mess it makes then to replace all of these future failing parts. Most dealers wont do a full engine replacement and will just patch up your old one and send it off hoping you make it past 36k. It doesn't take very long to damage the engine internally when it is running dry of oil, thankfully this last casualty had his engine seize which imo was a good thing.

Now you just have to hope the dealer has competent techs to put it back togather.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mattdale97 said:

anyone else been waiting 5 months for the new part? I still didn't get mine

I would start demanding a new vehicle then, no dealership should be expecting owners to wait a half year for parts regardless of current situations.

2 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

I understand this is your job but really we all know their is nothing you can do here Aleigha.

This particular problem has been on going since the very first 2019's rolled off the train hauler, gm is not going to fix this, as was said it is cheaper to allow the part to fail and go bad and fix the mess it makes then to replace all of these future failing parts. Most dealers wont do a full engine replacement and will just patch up your old one and send it off hoping you make it past 36k. It doesn't take very long to damage the engine internally when it is running dry of oil, thankfully this last casualty had his engine seize which imo was a good thing.

Now you just have to hope the dealer has competent techs to put it back togather.

No kidding, I still cant figure out why waste money on these people. Ya we can call the numbers we can figure that out 

I wouldn't expect a recall. This issue is not life threatening. You could say it is by losing control of the truck due oil spillage.

Recalls are based on safety i believe.

My trucks would not be DOA fro 5 months. I would have been looking at options after 30 days at the most. Maybe sooner. 

:)

Sorry to everyone that is dealing with this. I cannot imagine going through this issue after spending $50k on a new truck.

This has been around for a while now. The cause is crimping of an oil cooler line. Isn't there an easy preventative fix for that which we can make that has been recommended? Or do the rest of us just wait and hope it doesn't happen? 

Well Happened to me today, with just under 60k on the odemeter. Luckily caught it by a decent oil leak before the line fully blew off, will be getting towed to the dealer tomorrow. If anyone is wondering what it looks like I have attached a picture of how my truck currently sits and you can see the high pressure line backing out in picture 2. Brutal, the truck also just left the shop two days prior for some warranty work and the leak was definitely prevalent. And If I hadnt decided to do my own oil change today, then likely would have been left on the side of the road with a possible blown motor. LuckilyI found this 3k before the bumper to bumper wore off...

Oil Leak.jpg

Oil Hose.jpg

Edited by 19BLTRAILBOSS

2 hours ago, 19BLTRAILBOSS said:

Well Happened to me today, with just under 60k on the odemeter. Luckily caught it by a decent oil leak before the line fully blew off, will be getting towed to the dealer tomorrow. If anyone is wondering what it looks like I have attached a picture of how my truck currently sits and you can see the high pressure line backing out in picture 2. Brutal, the truck also just left the shop two days prior for some warranty work and the leak was definitely prevalent. And If I hadnt decided to do my own oil change today, then likely would have been left on the side of the road with a possible blown motor. LuckilyI found this 3k before the bumper to bumper wore off...

Oil Leak.jpg

Oil Hose.jpg

Let me know how long it takes for you to get it fixed... mine is still at the dealer as it as been for 5 months