2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

Got update from dealer about my truck. Went there on 12/24 to see it. Oil cooler line popped off at factory crimp. They pulled the oil pan off, along with everything that was in the way of oil pan.......skid plates, 4wd front axels, etc.....I saw where 2 bearings heated up and discolored. Motor is junk. They ordered a new long block crate motor from Michigan and are going to install it and give me back the truck. Uhhhhhhhhggggggggg. First time I ever bought a gm truck. I always had ford trucks but decided on the at4 instead of the raptor. Btw.....my at4 is a Canadian truck. Dealer told me the trucks sold in Canada and Alaska are having these problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just had it happen yesterday @ Chevy dealer now. This on top of all the transmission issues that take away from this 2019 Silverado 1500- wondering If GM is offering anyone extended power train warranties for ongoing trans problems?

Edited by Jim Moran

hi, I’m the original person who started this thread, was just at my dealer for an oil change and they told me there’s a recall on my truck for these oil cooler lines for a different design.  Even though they put a new one on after my original one failed they said this one could fail too cause it’s the same hose. 

6 minutes ago, jasnak said:

hi, I’m the original person who started this thread, was just at my dealer for an oil change and they told me there’s a recall on my truck for these oil cooler lines for a different design.  Even though they put a new one on after my original one failed they said this one could fail too cause it’s the same hose. 

I take it the one currently on your truck they already replaced is the one that can fail again? Yes it seems GM likes to take their time and reapply the same broken components until they get off their you know what's! Only took them over 2 years to figure this out, lucky many times they just hide behind the working as intended line and wait for your warranty to run its course!

22 hours ago, Jim Moran said:

Just heard back from dealer- engine is seized and a new one will be installed under warranty - will take 4 weeks, not clear why so long 

If it's any consolation, this happened to my 6.2L Sierra. It took a while, about 3 weeks. But you'd never know it's had an engine replacement. And they extended the power train warranty for me as well. They also gave me a $750 credit for accessories. FYI

• Like 1

This happened to my truck too. 2019 Sierra Denali with 8,915 miles. The oil cooler line failed and they had to replace the engine because they did not like the noises coming from it from running low on oil. The truck broke down December 8th 2019 and finally got the call that it was done today, January 16 2020. In the process of repair the multi fuse blew and the starter burnt out. Hopefully it was not as bad for you guys. 

2 hours ago, Jhrake said:

This happened to my truck too. 2019 Sierra Denali with 8,915 miles. The oil cooler line failed and they had to replace the engine because they did not like the noises coming from it from running low on oil. The truck broke down December 8th 2019 and finally got the call that it was done today, January 16 2020. In the process of repair the multi fuse blew and the starter burnt out. Hopefully it was not as bad for you guys. 

My starter died as well when this happened to my truck. New engine is great; you'd never know it had an engine swap. The problem isn't the engine getting the truck going its the intermittent brakes stopping the thing.... 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Opiedeegs said:

My oil cooler line blew today 2019 6.2 L at4 10000 miles
I will find out more tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry man. Happened to me at 6k miles. I was without my truck for nearly 4 weeks while they did an engine replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had this happen to my 2019 GMC crew cab elevation tonight. Truck's screen said no oil pressure stop truck immediately. Spread oil for a couple hundred feet then came to a stop and dumped out the rest completely. Absolutely no oil left in the engine, we checked the dip stick. My entire cab actually filled with some smoke, so not sure if any damage was done. I am in Alberta Canada. My truck has 26,000 kms. Just had an oil change done 1500kms ago, all services done by gm. Guessing its the cooler hose as well, we will see come Monday. I will be pushing for further tests to be done in the future if they just replace the hose and oil.