2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

17 hours ago, Jac365 said:

Truck back. Dealer had line in stock. Service dept told me it still had approx: 3 qts of oil in the pan.  I think I got lucky being able to shut it down fast.

Maybe a safe thing to do is send a oil sample out for analysis to make sure all is well.

Hard to tell with sounds when these engines sound like a box of rocks from factory. 3 quarts left means you lost around 6 quarts of oil i believe.

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

That’s a shame, especially on a brand new truck. So GM still can’t build a cooler line worth a damn.  The more things change, the more they stay the same. :shakehead:

Not that they CAN'T, they  WON'T..... even charging $50,000+

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I notice some spots a couple days ago, called dealership yesterday and took her in this morning. They said it's the oil cooler line as well and ordered the part which should be here by Monday. Hopefully get it taken care of before she lets go. It's got 41K miles and just bought last May CPO with another 6K miles in extended warranty. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by NotoriousGT350

On 1/6/2021 at 10:07 AM, Tx_Bowtie said:

Found mine leaking, luckily hasn't blown out.  Just because it has the inspection marks doesn't mean your safe.

Out of warranty, so bought the lines and am halfway through the repair.  

20210105_072342.jpg

You may also want to use a dye to trace any additional leaks.  At less than 300 miles I had a similar leak.  Thought it was the oil cooler line until they used a dye to trace it.  Turned out to be a plastic connector where the oil cooler line went into the cooler up front on the passenger side.

Just a thought.

Same here. I have a 2019 new body style  Silverado LT Z71 with 55,000 miles. I caught it before any low engine oil lights came on. My daughter sent me a picture today of our driveway with a oil spot on it where I park. But same thing it’s coming from the hose or fittings right above the plastic shroud connected to the skid plate. The whole undercarriage is splattered with oil encluding the rear bumper. With all the oil splattered all over the undercarriage, the dipstick still showed full. I was able to limp it to the dealership from work. So I will be patiently waiting for the dealership’s call tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

My 2019 has just over 36000 miles, just out of warranty. Line failed, got the message to shut down engine. GM only gave me a partial credit for the repair. This is absolutely unacceptable. Because I don’t live in Alaska or Canada I’m not covered by the service bulletin, even though it’s been below freezing here for 3 weeks. Waiting to hear back from them if they’ll make this right. Truck is still at dealership waiting to be repaired, still waiting to find out if there’s engine damage. 

• 3 weeks later...

During a recall they found out mine started leaking. 2019 custom  TB 5.3L. Extremely disappointed. I now realize what people complaint about when the warranty expires. I can tell you those transmissions and the ticking noise on the left side of the engine will come with expensive bills once the warranty expires. GM is beyond repair, The quality is just not up there.  

Screenshot_20210308-002028.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

add another one at 9500 miles. Happened on April 28th. Took a week for the dealer to look at it and they said the engine was locked up on Thursday 5/6/21. They had to drop the pan and find out if it would be a rebuild or replace. The S/A said the regional rep was there that day too. Wouldn't the Rep have the authority to make that decision?

On Friday I asked for a loaner, the dealer said there aren't any rentals available, haven't i been watching the news? All I could say was Huh? I asked for a loaner. They said call at the beginning of the week. 

I don't know how the ones that have blown on the highway have survived. I was going 40, and pulled over and shut it off, what I thought was pretty quick.

I can't believe this crap. Not even 2 yrs old. what the hell did I even buy a new truck for. This is on top of the torque convertor that was replaced last year. I trusted my 15yr old truck more than this thing. Just so disappointed.

I haven't had any major issues with any other new vehicles we have purchased. Going to start looking into contacting GM directly,I guess.  Another post had mentioned a continuing coverage letter, CCL, Who issues this type off agreement?

Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...