2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

I'm starting to think I'm simply cursed when it comes to this truck. I was supposed to get it back Tuesday or Wednesday. Call yesterday afternoon and I'm told that the engine install is complete but they had an electrical issue and some sort of starter relay/fuse fried. The part isn't in stock and will take a couple of days to get here. They'll "do their best" to make sure they can get back to the truck as soon as the part comes in but the technician working on it has just been assigned another huge job. Could be Saturday, could be next week.

I'm trying not to lose my sh*t on them but holy hell..... I've been waiting weeks now. F'ng finish the job as soon as that part arrives. 

6 minutes ago, Shawn O'Leary said:

I'm starting to think I'm simply cursed when it comes to this truck. I was supposed to get it back Tuesday or Wednesday. Call yesterday afternoon and I'm told that the engine install is complete but they had an electrical issue and some sort of starter relay/fuse fried. The part isn't in stock and will take a couple of days to get here. They'll "do their best" to make sure they can get back to the truck as soon as the part comes in but the technician working on it has just been assigned another huge job. Could be Saturday, could be next week.

I'm trying not to lose my sh*t on them but holy hell..... I've been waiting weeks now. F'ng finish the job as soon as that part arrives. 

Mine had a similar issue...I think what happened is that it was stalling out from low oil, the oil pump was shot, and the service department just kept hitting the start button.  They blew my starter and said there were some electrical issues as well.  They were over-nighting the new starter Tuesday.  

Email Barry Engle the Pres of GM America and tell him how much you love your truck and how hard the dealership is working to make things right but that you have concerns over this issue, how long it is taking to repair, and ask what assistance he may be able to provide to support the local dealership with the repair. I think the email is [email protected] but you might want to verify.

No doubt the "nuclear" option but don't be affraid to use it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 2:05 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

Neither can Toyota. And supposedly they're the best engineered vehicle out there.

According to who regarding their products in the past 5-10 years?  Now- if you talk about the 80s and 90s.. yes.  They were pretty dang good vs the domestic and European products. But- are they still superior?  And how? 

On 4/22/2019 at 1:19 PM, Shawn O'Leary said:

The engine seized in the shop. Looking like a full engine replacement. I can't believe it... 

Oh believe it.  This kind of stuff happens.  Don't be surprised.  It's a mechanical device, after all. 

On 4/28/2019 at 2:36 PM, AJ Sullivan said:

This is CRAP!!!  

We are driving to the Grand Canyon and Zion NP this summer, and I have been kinda fighting with the wife to take my new truck instead of her Highlander... Can you imagine being out in the 115* heat dead on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere Arizona with 3 kids age 7 and under because Pedro can't crimp a hose worth a damn?  

Not a safety issue?  They can go straight to hell with that BS.

Guess I will go start putting new belts and hoses on the Highlander... it will have close to 100K on it by July.  Dammit!

What makes you think your crapota won't have some big catastrophic failure?  They ain't perfect either. 

26 minutes ago, Colossus said:

What makes you think your crapota won't have some big catastrophic failure?  They ain't perfect either. 

It has nearly 100k on it with zero issues... whereas my Sierra is knocking on the big 5,000 and has yet to prove itself that it won’t blow an oil line as has been mentioned in this thread. That is why I think that...

3 hours ago, AJ Sullivan said:

It has nearly 100k on it with zero issues... whereas my Sierra is knocking on the big 5,000 and has yet to prove itself that it won’t blow an oil line as has been mentioned in this thread. That is why I think that...

Yet there are a ton of examples of Toyota and Lexus vehicles with the 3.5 V6 that have had just as many or more oil line failures. The majority were well before 100k miles.

4 hours ago, Colossus said:

According to who regarding their products in the past 5-10 years?  Now- if you talk about the 80s and 90s.. yes.  They were pretty dang good vs the domestic and European products. But- are they still superior?  And how? 

Oh they're overrated by far these days. Any of their more recent engines have had major problems. Their Tacoma  axles are cheaply made import junk these days. Anybody that follows the 2016+ Tacoma knows what a disaster that truck has been. TTheya brand relying on their reputation from 20 to 30 years ago to sell vehicles today. Same with Honda.

4 hours ago, Colossus said:

102,000 miles logged in on the odometer of my 07’ 4Runner.  The only light that has ever come on in the dash is the maintenance light to remind me to change my oil every 7,500 miles.  That’s it.  Period.

Driving my Crapota is truly a, “oh, what a feeling” experience.  So nice to finally drive a maintenance-free vehicle.  I can actually enjoy life now rather than spend every weekend trying to diagnose a CEL issue, track down a fluid leak, or replace a failing/ failed components.

No reservations whatsoever giving my wife the set of keys to drive it whenever and wherever she wants.  

You wanna learn about true dependability.....head on over to the Toyota and Honda forums to educate yourself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

102,000 miles logged in on the odometer of my 07’ 4Runner.  The only light that has ever come on in the dash is the maintenance light to remind me to change my oil every 7,500 miles.  That’s it.  Period.

Driving my Crapota is truly a, “oh, what a feeling” experience.  So nice to finally drive a maintenance-free vehicle.  I can actually enjoy life now rather than spend every weekend trying to diagnose a CEL issue, track down a fluid leak, or replace a failing/ failed components.

No reservations whatsoever giving my wife the set of keys to drive it whenever and wherever she wants.  

You wanna learn about true dependability.....head on over to the Toyota and Honda forums to educate yourself.

I can attest to the reliability of the 4Runner. I had 165000 completely trouble free miles. I off-roaded it heavily and beat it to death. It just kept going.

The 4Runner Forum’s full of threads about modifications, lifts and off-roading, etc. the biggest issue over there is related to design compromises- like the suspension being too soft or the brakes making a squish sound. Very rarely did anyone have a thread about something breaking. ( of course they break just like anything else though)

The top thread/sticky on this forum is about problems and issues with your truck....it’s always active.  Every single GM vehicle I have ever owned has made several trips back to the dealer for issues. Every single Honda and Toyota I’ve owned has never been back- except our Odyssey which was almost totaled at 12,000 miles. It still went on to 185000 trouble free miles after it was fixed. When we traded it it still ran and drove great. 

So, this is all my personal experience, Chevy vs Import not what I read somewhere.  Take it how you want, but it’s fact for me. 

It is what it is.  I absolutely love my Silverado, I loved the 4Runner too. If I needed a vehicle that I absolutely had to depend on for the zombie apocalypse or something, it would be the Toyota.  No question. 

Its great to be a fanboy but get realistic and do some research.  

Edited by Limelight
  • Like 1

We have had 2 used Honda's and a 2007 used Accord.

The wife's cars.

The first one was totaled when she was rear ended at 50 mph while she was sitting at a stop light. She will pay for this the rest of her life.

The second one was stolen from her work parking lot.

Now the Accord.

Replaced the power steering pump and the AC compressor on the 2007 Accord. Did it myself.

The first one never touched it but regular maintenance.

The second one a seal in the power steering pump went bad, started leaking. Repaired it with a rebuild kit of eBay for $12.

Honda's have been reliable for us and wouldn't hesitate buying another used one.

Looked at a used 2016 CR-V EX recently. Leased, maintained and returned to the dealer for sale. All maintenance records and 24 K miles.

The Accord runs great and we just had the timing belt done and new tires so we decided to drive it longer. Has a 105 K miles on it.

:)

They got the part in early and got it running. Returned her to me tonight. So far so good. Took it for a long drive and everything seems to be running right.

bib1.thumb.jpg.f17b75df4e037281581f12f1d5ec6388.jpg
bib2.thumb.jpg.2633bfa23e071fca02cecc4198958bd7.jpg
That is great to hear. On the bright side, you got a free oil change out of it. Did they remember to reset your oil life to 100%?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk