2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:50 PM, relevante said:

Do they tend to leak at all if you’re looking closely before or do they often just blow without warning? Is one end or the other consistently the problem? Is there any better aftermarket replacement available?

The three old body trucks had no rupture/total failure.  They were seeping/leaking at the crimps however.

The only way this becomes a safety issue and recall is if everyone of the affected owners files a claim to NHTSA. It needed over 200 complaints on the k2 vacuum pump brake failure I had on my 16 before they sent a letter to gm to investigate.

This could be as simple as one bad batch of hoses that was used for a few weeks. GM will figure out real quick if it is cheaper to replace 100,000 hoses or a couple thousand engines.

If the owner shuts off the engine quick enough, this could be a simple as replacing the line and filling it up with oil.

I looked at my lines yesterday and I don't see any signs of oil seepage at the crimps. Mine is August 2018 build ft. Wayne

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Truck just got towed in. Chevy roadside wanted to charge me for the miles outside the 25 mile radius for towing to get the brand new truck back to dealer where I bought it Friday night. Already getting a bad feeling from Chevy on this.

Will update once dealer calls me back. I will be pushing for an extended warranty on the engine

Had to stop by our local dealership for something other then this and then went back and talked a good friend of mine for years who is in charge of the mechanics of the shop and ask him about this and he told me he hasn't seen any blown engine oil cooler lines come through his shop since these trucks have been sold, he went and checked the main GM data base and then some other one that checks other dealerships for this problem and seen nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

The only way this becomes a safety issue and recall is if everyone of the affected owners files a claim to NHTSA. It needed over 200 complaints on the k2 vacuum pump brake failure I had on my 16 before they sent a letter to gm to investigate.

This could be as simple as one bad batch of hoses that was used for a few weeks. GM will figure out real quick if it is cheaper to replace 100,000 hoses or a couple thousand engines.

If the owner shuts off the engine quick enough, this could be a simple as replacing the line and filling it up with oil.

I looked at my lines yesterday and I don't see any signs of oil seepage at the crimps. Mine is August 2018 build ft. Wayne

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mine's an 08/21/2018 build.  Hope ours is okay!

4 minutes ago, kniespolice said:

Dealer is telling me the crimp was just loose and they will put a new part on. They say I have absolutely nothing to worry about since they say I was only 1.5 quarts low in oil. Would that make sense with the check engine light being on?

Not sure. In my case there was virtually no oil left; so it sounds like you were able to get the truck off quicker than I did. 

31 minutes ago, kniespolice said:

Dealer is telling me the crimp was just loose and they will put a new part on. They say I have absolutely nothing to worry about since they say I was only 1.5 quarts low in oil. Would that make sense with the check engine light being on?

Assuming they aren’t lying, I wouldn’t be too worried about 1.5 low in an 8 quart sump.

55 minutes ago, Dea1276 said:

I literally just picked up a 2019 Trail Boss last night. My first American car, now I am super freaked out.

It can happen to any vehicle. Most people don't realize that Toyota has had issues with external oil lines failing for several years now. Lots of Camry's have had engine failures because of it. Yet people buy Toyotas and live with a false sense of security. I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by HondaHawkGT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

For anybody in this thread that's had an oil line fail, please help out the community by sharing your information here:

It could help identify any pattern to the failures.

Why don’t u just list it on this thread the one everyone is reading 

Just now, jasnak said:

Why don’t u just list it on this thread the one everyone is reading 

Because then you'd have to sort through 30 pages of conversational comments to find each individual post with their truck's info. You can see how well that worked in the truck vibration thread in the K2xx section. Having a separate thread keeps it organized and actually useful.

• Like 3